22 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2012 7:36 AM by AtonMusic

PPRO CS 5.5 OS X = Enormous Memory Leak

AtonMusic Level 2

Hi...

Working on a large project...

I keep OS X's Activity Monitor open to check for "Inactive RAM"

The reason for this is that Premiere Pro slows down significantly after working with it for 10 minutes.

Shuttling and Playback commence with stutter etc...

I will reboot the Mac and for 10 minutes it appears fine. After that, all playback looks like spasms.

Really annoying.

Within 10 minutes of Working with PPRO on large projects, my "In Active" part of RAM reaches a whopping 10GB and more.

I have a total of 32 GB. And I have written an Apple Script which will purge that inactive memory without me having to reboot.

But I dont think this should be a permanent solution...

So to those of you wondering WHY your Premiere Pro gets slow after a while.... The reason is that Premiere Pro completely wastes the memory inside of your Mac ;-)

• 1. Re: PPRO CS 5.5 OS X = Enormous Memory Leak
          AtonMusic Level 2

Try This:

1) Open OS X Activity Monitor and pay attention to "Inactive" down in the lower-left corner of the Window (Text is written in blue)

2) Open a sequence in the timeline and click the little arrow on the track to expand the video track so that you can see Poster Frame of each clip (Expand track height to about an inch or two.

3) Quickly switch back to Activity Monitor - you can now watch the blue inactive text incresing with each poster frame rendered.

4) Go back to Premiere and open another sequence (Dont close the current one) with a bunch of clips inside and repeat step 2

5) Switch back to Activity Monitor - again the Inactive blue text will start increasing - notice how the OLD inactive memory did NOT get freed.

(Since the Inactive memory did NOT erase - the user would come to expect that the poster frames would indeed STILL be there in the first sequence opened....)

6) Come back to Premiere and switch back to the first sequence

7) All the poster frame previews are GONE

According to an adobe Employee on this forum, Premiere Pro renders the Poster Frames to cache with a timestamp that will delete them after a while.

If that holds true, how come I can watch the Inactive memory increase as those poster frames are being rendered. That would mean that they arent being cached but rendered into RAM

The poster frames are gone from the timeline - but the RAM is NOT free to use --- thus inactive !

If you have a large project and open a bunch of sequences with expanded video tracks and thus revealing the clips' poster frames, you can put a timer to when you have to reboot your Mac. I have ro reboot mine after exactly 30 minutes. 10 is better but there is NO WAY I am going THAT route.

Premiere will just render away the poster frames, snug 'em up, nice and cozy into RAM, delete them from the Timeline but forget to tell the Mac that THAT memory is no longer required

Why reboot the Mac ???

Well, quitting Premiere Pro will NOT get rid of the inactive RAM. It should. But that does not work.

Inactive RAM = CANNOT be addressed by the computer. BASTA

I believe to remember that OS X will eventually free the inactives but that can take a while....

If you have developers tools installed, here is the workaround to free Inactive RAM and make it addressable again...

Open your Terminal and type the following command without the quoteand hit enter "purge"

after a little while Inactive Memory in Adtivity Monitor will reflect about 70 MB which is a WHOLE lot better than 20 GB (on my setup) after 30 Minuted of work.

• 2. Re: PPRO CS 5.5 OS X = Enormous Memory Leak
            Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

Since you're quoting me,

AFAIC, when you quit, that memory should be released back to the OS.  If it's not, it's either a) our bug, or b) a Lion specific bug.    I don't see how its ours, though, we definitely release the cache memory when we close out - which makes me think, unless your PPro executable is not actually closing out..?  Did you check your activity monitor to make sure it's actually gone from the active process list..?

I'll also mention again, you get to control how much memory is used for caching while it's running - that's in your prefs - memory.  So, on a fresh launch, we'll only consume a couple of hundred megs, but this will continuously grow as you scrub/play video until the cache limit is hit, at which point we'll purge old items out of memory & recycle it as needed.  The memory threshold will sit at that maximum amount until you shut down the app.

• 3. Re: PPRO CS 5.5 OS X = Enormous Memory Leak
              AtonMusic Level 2

Hi Wil,

AFAIC, when you quit, that memory should be released back to the OS

PPRO does NOT release back to the OS on quit. Neither on Lion OR Snow Leopard.

I'll also mention again, you get to control how much memory is used for caching while it's running - that's in your prefs - memory

Here is a Screenshot of OS X PPRO Memory Preferences... According to Adobe's Manual this preference has nothing to do with what you suggests.

But with something like editing and rendering files in the timeline. Just read it...

AND.... Please read what I wrote..... PPRO DELETEs the previews from the timeline... Without telling the OS to zapp the RAM....

If you dont care deleting them from RAM --- AT LEAST - leave them on the timeline as well. The RAM is gone anyway

As you can see in on my screen shot below, there is nothing aside from Memory/Performance that you can change (a side from trhe "RAM Avail.). Tried both === Same Problem.

Perhaps you are referring to the windows version.

Screen Shot 2012-02-22 at 11.46.35 PM.png

Imagine those "poor" folks working with 8GB or 12GB or RAM --- PPRO is going to eat away their memory in no time.

I have tested this on two systems

1 Lion

1 Snow Leopard

Plenty of forums and collegues are STRONGLY complaining over Premiere Pro getting slower after working with it a little while...

You guys really should opt to use Beta Testers prior to releasing software... This one would have been identified immediately.

AVID uses A LOT of beta testers... I know because I beta test for their audio department. Pro Tools is the most stable software ever written for any computer OS. Their releases are pristine because the go thru' BETA Cycles. In fact they have a huge beta community.

Adobe - if they wanna play where the big players roll, should most def. use BETA testers.

If I am jumping to conclusions and you do infact use beta testers... Well, fire them... ;-))))

They let way too many bugs pass thru the net on this CS5.5 release ;-)

• 4. Re: PPRO CS 5.5 OS X = Enormous Memory Leak
                lasvideo Level 4

This discussion has piqued my curiosity. In an attempt to help clarify whats going on, I have  3 screen grabs of the CPU monitors memory activity display.

This one is after a full reboot

Screen shot 2012-02-22 at 3.04.38 PM.png

This one is after booting up  PrP project thats about 4 minutes long with some layers and effects and blends.

Screen shot 2012-02-22 at 3.06.57 PM.png

And finally this is one taken about a minute after shutting the PrP project down.

Screen shot 2012-02-22 at 3.07.51 PM.png

I am curious as to what you guys can extrapolate from this data.

Tom Daigon

PrP / After Effects Editor

www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Mac Pro 3,1

2 x 3.2 ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon

Nvidia Quadro 4000

24 gigs ram

Kona 3

Maxx Digital / Areca 8tb. raid

• 5. Re: PPRO CS 5.5 OS X = Enormous Memory Leak
                  Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

If you increase the value under 'RAM reserved for other applications', that correspondingly lowers the amount of ram available for PPro.  Did you try tweaking that value?  Also, considering how much memory you have, the dropdown choice for 'Optimize rendering for: " should definitely be toggled to 'Performance'.

I'm more & more convinced that there's no leak, the OS just isn't releasing the memory immediately, according to what you're reporting.  From what I read, that's an OSX feature - they keep inactive memory around in case that you want to relaunch whatever app was previously using that memory so that they can load things faster, instead of reloading from disk.  So, just because the activity monitor keeps showing that inactive ram around doesn't mean there's a bug - it's supposed to reallocate from inactive memory as soon as there's a need for it.

Where's the proof that you can't recuperate the inactive ram..?  Do you have other apps that fail to launch after you quit PPro..?

(Lastly, yeah, you're jumping to (bad) conclusions.  Please don't talk crap about others, I don't appreciate blind dissing of our beta users and/or staff.  You clearly have no idea just how talented & helpful these people are as a whole.)

Cheers

• 6. Re: PPRO CS 5.5 OS X = Enormous Memory Leak
                    AtonMusic Level 2

Hi Tom,

thanks for taking the time to trouble shoot.

You should try to also do this test in a real-world scenario working in a LARGE

PPRO project.

Remember to expand the Video tracks so that you can see the video poster frame of each clip as this will eat away the RAM like crazy.

I.e. - OPen a SEQ in PPRO with i.e. 50 Clips. Expand Video track to see Poster Frames.

1) Watch AM (Activity Monitor) and confim Inactive RAM increasing

2) Close the Timeline (Sequence) - PPRO now looses ALL Poster Frames from the clips, but does NOT release the RAM

3) Now re-open that sequence. You can see that PPRO is now rebuilding the poster frames and AGAIN increases the Inactive RAM by the same amount

4) Repeat this process 20 times and you have NO RAM left to use.

This is dead wrong ;-)

• 7. Re: PPRO CS 5.5 OS X = Enormous Memory Leak
                      AtonMusic Level 2

Wil Renczes wrote:

If you increase the value under 'RAM reserved for other applications', that correspondingly lowers the amount of ram available for PPro.  Did you try tweaking that value?  Also, considering how much memory you have, the dropdown choice for 'Optimize rendering for: " should definitely be toggled to 'Performance'.

I'm more & more convinced that there's no leak, the OS just isn't releasing the memory immediately, according to what you're reporting.  From what I read, that's an OSX feature - they keep inactive memory around in case that you want to relaunch whatever app was previously using that memory so that they can load things faster, instead of reloading from disk.  So, just because the activity monitor keeps showing that inactive ram around doesn't mean there's a bug - it's supposed to reallocate from inactive memory as soon as there's a need for it.

Where's the proof that you can't recuperate the inactive ram..?  Do you have other apps that fail to launch after you quit PPro..?

(Lastly, yeah, you're jumping to (bad) conclusions.  Please don't talk crap about others, I don't appreciate blind dissing of our beta users and/or staff.  You clearly have no idea just how talented & helpful these people are as a whole.)

Cheers

1) as I wrote already. Whether Performance or Memory is set for Optimization plays no part. Cant feel any difference. As I opened this post I had it set to Performance. Then I swapped to memory to see if it solved the issue or made a difference. It did not.

Been tweaking the RAM AVAIL. since CS5.5 and the settings in my screen shot are optimum.

2) There is NO proof... Ohhh, aside from the fact that Premiere Pro becomes more or less unsuable after 30 minutes. Scrubbing, Shuttling etc etc etc starts taking forever.

3) I had a HUGE smiley after FIRE THEM.... And I wasn't talking crap - neither Blind-Dissing (This is serious and it is NOT as if I wrote a two-liner just bashing everybody - I believe I was being very specific.)... But in all honesty, the CS5.5 release had loads of bugs that should only be allowed to pass in a consumer release. NOT in a release claiming to satisfy professionals.

I have NO doubt in the talent of the Adobe Team. PPRO is the best NLE currently especially due to the fantastic CUDA features. PPRO itself is amazing in that it is in fact a chameleon. The user can adjust the app to fit his workflow almost perfectly. Fantastic app, REALLY. More is the pity that it's released with consumer-entry-level bugs. IMO

• 8. Re: PPRO CS 5.5 OS X = Enormous Memory Leak
                        lasvideo Level 4

Well, with an eye to System Memory Used in the Activity Monitor, I opened and closed this cut intensive project about 40 times. It was zoomed in close enough to see the poster frames. What I saw when I open the sequence the Used entry went from 4.35 to 4.36. When I closed it it went back down to 4.35. It did this consistently. Now I am on Snow Leopard, not Lion so that maybe why I am not experiencing the same results you are.

Tom Daigon

PrP / After Effects Editor

www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Mac Pro 3,1

2 x 3.2 ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon

Nvidia Quadro 4000

24 gigs ram

Kona 3

Maxx Digital / Areca 8tb. raid

• 9. Re: PPRO CS 5.5 OS X = Enormous Memory Leak
                          Jim Curtis Level 3

AtonMusic,

Thanks for your detailed post.  I, too, have experienced loss of performance in Pr that can only be cured by a total reboot.  Same for AME.  It was generous of you to go into such detail of your experiences, and to provide your evidence.

I can go hours and Pr will work just fine, even with Long-GOP source material.  And then there are days like yesterday, when all my footage is ProRes, where I'll drag the CTI and nothing at all happens, except that the CTI moves.  And this is after rendering and seeing a nice solid green line over the timeline.  I'll double-click a clip to load into the Source monitor, and all I see is black.  I've not been able to detect any consistent bad or good behavior, related to time the app is open, or anything else (such as other apps open), other than working with AJA Sequences really bogs things down.  I never know on any given project or day whether Pr is going to work properly or not.

I'll have to pay more attention to the Activity Monitor (which I have set as a startup app, and is always running) from now on, and see if I can relate this to RAM.

I also agree that it does appear that Pr isn't beta tested by working editors.  It's really a fine NLE - when it works, but some of the choices and priorities given to features and even default keyboard mappings are a bit odd.

I tried your "purge" Terminal command, and it returns "-bash: purge: command not found"  Am I missing some text that needs to precede "purge" ?

• 10. Re: PPRO CS 5.5 OS X = Enormous Memory Leak
                            lasvideo Level 4

Jim - "it does appear that Pr isn't beta tested by working editors.".

Appearances can be VERY decieving. 

• 11. Re: PPRO CS 5.5 OS X = Enormous Memory Leak
                              Jim Curtis Level 3

Ha.  Did you just "out" yourself, Tom?

To clarify my observation, I just don't see how things like dupe detection, searchable timeline, add-edit indicators, and things like useful Markers are totally missing from Pr.  These are features that most working editors rely on daily to streamline their work.  How is it that you can't Label a video only clip (It only works on AV clips), and then select all of the same color, to paste color corrections onto?  That's something that working editors would love to have, and should be crying bloody murder that they're not implemented.  Not to mention that the top features should be reliability and stability.  It doesn't matter what bells & whistles Pr has if they don't work when you have clients looking over your shoulder.

By reading the forum, it also appears that Pr on Windows is a different experience than using Macs.

• 12. Re: PPRO CS 5.5 OS X = Enormous Memory Leak
                                lasvideo Level 4

Nope, just know some friends that serve in that capacity. And they are extremely good editors and communicators.

• 13. Re: PPRO CS 5.5 OS X = Enormous Memory Leak
                                  AtonMusic Level 2

Hi Jim,

the reason the purge command isn't working in Terminal, is that you do not have Apple Developers Tools installed.

Installing that gives you the purge command. Meaning a little executive gets installerd in to /usr/bin and is thus accessible by terminal.

I dont know whether adobe condones such distr. on their forum so I wont put a link up there but you can send me a private message and I'll shoot you an email with it along with installation procedure... The exec. is 35KB so really small..

• 14. Re: PPRO CS 5.5 OS X = Enormous Memory Leak
                                    AtonMusic Level 2

lasvideo wrote:

Nope, just know some friends that serve in that capacity. And they are extremely good editors and communicators.

So what you're saying is that adobe chose NOT to listen to them as they reported all those CS5.5 BUGs...

I cannot imagine adobe setting up a beta cycle and then NOT listen to them.

Be that as it may.. I love PPRO and as long as it has CUDA support I'm game. IF AVID Media Composer integrates CUDA tomorrow. Bye Bye Premiere Pro.

If PPRO did not have CUDA and accelled H.264 Workflow - I promise you that all those bugs CS5.5 has would make sure that I would completely avoid PPRO.

I hope adobe realizes WHY so many folks are using it....

Stability and Professional features are TWO reasons that DONT apply !

And with Pro Features I dont mean - Roll Edit or Show Clip in Project....

Look at Jim's post and you'll get the hang....

AMC does NOT have all those small annoying "consumer-grade" bugs.

• 15. Re: PPRO CS 5.5 OS X = Enormous Memory Leak
                                      AtonMusic Level 2

Wil Renczes wrote:

This memory leaking problem along with other performance issues, especially with H264 files has force me to look for NLE alternatives.

I bought FCPX and while other are bashing it, I find a fantastic NLE and one of the future. I have never been able to cut faster (Finding clips in FCPX is a breeze in comp. to PPRO)...

The current project I am working in, in FCPX is the same as I had in PPRO before switching. My 'In active Memory' is at 180MB all the time. FCPX handles this perfectly. So i dont think that the OS is to blame.

If it was, then how come FCPX has no problems whatsoever.

• 16. Re: PPRO CS 5.5 OS X = Enormous Memory Leak
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

That is about the best joke I have heard this decennium.

• 17. Re: PPRO CS 5.5 OS X = Enormous Memory Leak
                                          AtonMusic Level 2

Harm Millaard wrote:

That is about the best joke I have heard this decennium.

Doesn't take much to amuse you..

FCPx has its share of trouble, sure. But NOT with memory leaking.

At least not here.

In all, I think that FCPx is the most misunderstood app, ever to have surfaced. It WILL change the industry. Mark my words

• 18. Re: PPRO CS 5.5 OS X = Enormous Memory Leak
                                            lasvideo Level 4

If FCP X works for you, more power to ya!

• 19. Re: PPRO CS 5.5 OS X = Enormous Memory Leak
                                              Jim_Simon Level 8

It WILL change the industry. Mark my words

Perhaps.  But as more and more folks look to Adobe and Avid to replace their Apple NLE, that change may not be what you think it is.

• 20. Re: PPRO CS 5.5 OS X = Enormous Memory Leak
                                                AtonMusic Level 2

Hi Jim,

I think that a lot of the old generation cutters will move to AVID and PPRO. They arent open minded enough to understand exactly what FCPx is.

And by the time they retire everyone will be working with a FCPx-style NLE. There is NO going back, once you allowed yourself to understand and explore a FCPx-style workflow.

The new generation are 'all' going to want to work on FCPx. They are visually minded and likes to work intuitively. FCPX is the only intuitive visual NLE on the market.

Randy Ubilos knew exactly what he did.

I purchased FCPx the day it came out and hated it. The reson I hated it was that I did not understand it and expected from it what I expected from my THEN knowledge of what an NLE can do... After being confined and creaetively limited (visually) in ppro I took a week end and sat down with FCPx... The more I dove into it the more my jaws were dropping until they hit the floor. The greatest thing about it is that all those things you wish you could do in PPRO or any other NLE you dont even NEED to do in FCPx. It has features and workflow that none of us had ever dreamt about.

Sure, there are things lacking but it is a baby still but vastly capable of growth.

It crashed a couple of times per day, but who cares... When it crashes, it opens up the project right where it crashed even the selected clip is still selected. Amazing.

For me, there is no going back to any other style of NLE than FCPx. And I bet you that many of those who left FCPx are going to come back....

And I also bet that you will see AVID and adobe scrambling the next couple of years trying to figure out how the H+++ Ubilos and Apple did it...

A good analogy of NLEs vs FCPx...

I remember back in 2000 when I switched from PC to Apple. The first week I was annoid by the Apple OS thinking is was too complicated. The truth is, I was THINKING too complicated having been used to the PC

and its completely clumsy way of handling anything it does...

Folks not understanding FCPX (like me initially) just neet to open their mind and let it in. After that, there is NO going back.

I smile when I open PPRO and I see the past knowing that is NOT a place I wanna be sleeping in ;-)

Time will tell !

• 21. Re: PPRO CS 5.5 OS X = Enormous Memory Leak
                                                  Eric Addison User Group Manager

AtonMusic wrote:

...They arent open minded enough to understand exactly what FCPx is.And by the time they retire everyone will be working with a FCPx-style NLE. There is NO going back, once you allowed yourself to understand and explore a FCPx-style workflow.

The new generation are 'all' going to want to work on FCPx. They are visually minded and likes to work intuitively. FCPX is the only intuitive visual NLE on the market.

The Apple kool-aid...it must be so nice!

I'm not so old to be considered "old generation", but I've been editing and working in this industry for quite some time. I think it is FAR to early to make statements like those above. While Apple has tried to re-define the editing experience, I think it's yet to be determined if the experience is truly the future of editing. Now, FCP X has introduced some really nice features, and I believe it's metadata support is really something that's interesting. Metadata is going to be a major factor in editing going forward, and I think both Avid and Adobe are aware of that and making strides in that direction. But it will take some time for FCP X to become as mature an NLE as Avid and Premiere are at the moment. Whose to say that in that time,  Avid and/or Adobe don't introduce features that put them so far ahead of FCP X that it can't catch up?

I think part of your argument is a valid one, and one that Apple's betting on...that is if they want to stay competitive in the professional market. By getting the kids hooked on FCP X style of editing, they figure they can own the market down the road...that is, if they want to stay in the professional market. And I don't know that they do - time will tell. I think they'd like to own the consumer market (thus their star NLE for $299), but as for how serious they are about capturing the pro market...as you said, time will tell. There's a lot of money to be made with consumers - pros are a finicky bunch who need a lot of support, and there's not as many of them as there are consumers.

It crashed a couple of times per day, but who cares... When it crashes, it opens up the project right where it crashed even the selected clip is still selected. Amazing.

I edit with Premiere Pro almost daily, and it crashes on me hardly ever. If I was working with something that was crashing a couple times a day, amazing would not be the word I would use to describe it.

• 22. Re: PPRO CS 5.5 OS X = Enormous Memory Leak
                                                    AtonMusic Level 2

Hi Eric,

But it will take some time for FCP X to become as mature an NLE as Avid and Premiere are at the moment. Whose to say that in that time,  Avid and/or Adobe don't introduce features that put them so far ahead of FCP X that it can't catch up?

I think they will catch up... But you musn't forget WHO is holding the reigns... It isn't Apple, it is Ubilos. You could say that Apple is holding the reigns as long as Ubi is emplyed there.

This guy is amazing. Hated and loved. Final Cut X, boiled down, is basically Ubilos building the perfect NLE based on his experience creating Premiere Pro and Final Cut. PPRO and FCP were his first attempts to build what he envisions when cutting a flick. He has grown older and wiser and has understood ONE very important thing..... The best NLE is the NLE that places your source footage on the timeline as the idea of the source footage pops into your mind. Thus, you are editing in the timeline on one particular scene, then you get the idea of bringing in THAT certain clip you saw when looking at the rushes. FCPx's even library lets you do just that. All NLEs can Cut,Trim,Slide,roll,ripple.... But FCPx's ability of skimming thru' your sources in NO TIME makes it vastly superior to any other NLE out there. I can littelrally finish a whole project in FCPx about 10 times faster than I could in Premiere Pro... When working in PPRO - I have the feeling of working with blindfolds on. My source footage is hidden and dead. In FCPx my source footage is alive and kicking.

Looking back at my day editing in PPRO, I remember almost dreading to begin the cut... Knowing that finding source footage would totally kill my momentum.

I have been using Video and Audio software since 1998. And I cannot remember having so much sheer fun with an app... In fact, it is the only app I have ever used that I dont mind crashing on me.

I STILL consider FCPx an infant. But a VERY VERY VERY smart and fast one. It is a beta, yes. But the updates Apple has brought forth the past 7  months are GREAT. And this software WILL improve.

We still lack a lot of things....Proper Plug-Ins like Curves etc. Image Sequence Support and a bunch of other things...

However, prior to FCPx I never really bothered (at least in PPRO) to edit with Proxies. too much of a hassle. In FCPx it is ONE (literally) click of a button to switch your whole project from Proxy to Original.

In Premiere I am limited to have ONE project open at a time. In FCPx all my projects are ALWAYS open.

I could go on forever. But  I wont ;-)

That said, I hope that PPRO will catch up or perhaps surpass FCPx... Still though, PPRO build upon Ubilos' ideas more than a decade back. FCPx builds upon Ubilos' ideas TODAY.

I edit with Premiere Pro almost daily, and it crashes on me hardly ever. If I was working with something that was crashing a couple times a day, amazing would not be the word I would use to describe it.

3 weeks ago I would have had the same opinion as you.... Today, I dont care. It crashes. I smile, and relaunch and NOTHING has been lost. I dont have to hit command Save all the time. I dont have to be bothered by PPROs autosave dialog every five minutes. FCPx saves ALL THE TIME. Beautiful ;-)

Time will tell what happens.... I am excited. Because whether or not FCPx.. WILL become the standard... It will certainly spark the compatiion to WAKE the F````Up...

I think they'd like to own the consumer market (thus their star NLE for $299), but as for how serious they are about capturing the pro market...as you said, time will tell. There's a lot of money to be made with consumers - pros are a finicky bunch who need a lot of support, and there's not as many of them as there are consumers.

I think you are missing the big elephant in the room..... Which is .... FCPX NEEDs a Mac to run.... Everybody goes.... Arrrr... FCPX is ONLY $299... Yeah right... + the $5000 to get a Mac capable of running it fluidly ;-)))))