• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Restrict Context Sensitive Help in HTML pages

May 22, 2008 May 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

This query is regarding the CSH feature of RH7.

We are creating a form which will have some fields disabled based on the login ID.

For example, if Samantha, the Manager, logs on to the Material Order page of an application, she should be able to edit the Material Name, Category, Ship-to location, Supplier Name, ID, and the Price fields. Whereas, if Tom, an Engineer, logs on to same page , he should be able to edit only the Material Name, Category, and Ship-to Location fields.

The CSH we will be providing on the Material Order page will have descriptions about all the fields on that page. But I want to restrict this based on the login ID, that is, the help of Material Order page when Tom logs in should only have descriptions of the fields which he can edit. Can you please tell if this is possible and if yes, how?

I suggested the field-level help. But the client is not too keen on using it.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Sreekanth

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 23, 2008 May 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sreekanth.

The only solution I can think of would involve you having two help topics with different mapid assigned. The application would have to check the logonid of the user and make the call to the appropriate topic. There is certainly no way of achieving this purely inside RH.

As an aside, what is the reason the client won't accept a single help topic? If you make it clear in the help file that certain fields are only available if you have the required login rights I personally can't see the problem. We do that all the time here. Just my 2 cents 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 26, 2008 May 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Colum.

The client's application loads the same page with few fields disabled for Tom. So, to the best of my knowledge, we cannot create two help topics for a single link. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Your second suggestion is something we are keeping as a last option. We will reveal that to client only if we don't find an alternative.

Waiting for few more suggestions...

quote:

Originally posted by: Colum McAndrew
Hi Sreekanth.

The only solution I can think of would involve you having two help topics with different mapid assigned. The application would have to check the logonid of the user and make the call to the appropriate topic. There is certainly no way of achieving this purely inside RH.

As an aside, what is the reason the client won't accept a single help topic? If you make it clear in the help file that certain fields are only available if you have the required login rights I personally can't see the problem. We do that all the time here. Just my 2 cents ;-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 27, 2008 May 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
My point was that you could have a single help topic that would be displayed regardless of the user's logon id. All you would do is say in the topic which fields were generic and which were controlled by a logon id. It is generally acceptable in many places to say something like "Field A can be used to specify whether blue widgets are to be used in the construction of the spaceship. This field is only available/visible if your logon id has supervisor security clearance." You could even start by documenting the generic fields and then group all the logon id specific fields later in the topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp