1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 22, 2012 12:10 PM by John Waller

New to Dreamweaver and need help with fomatting font

Fit0124

Hi,  I am new to dreamweaver and have been playing with it for a few weeks.  I have Dreamweaver CS5.5 and I am making some detailed html templates for my ebay listings.  I have created my tables, graphics, and colors but I am having trouble with my font formatting.  Everything is looking really good, but there are a few sentences and even just a few phrases that I want to underline but when I add a text decloration and underline, it just underlines the whole area of sentenses not the specific one that I highlited.  I know how to create a h1, h2, h3 etc code and add underline to it, but I don't want to have to format a h1 or h2 tag everything I want to format a little line.  The reason I have been doing this is because It really is  one of the only ways I have been able to figure out how to underline something.  I watched some tutorials which is how I learned this.  I figured out in the properties Panel on bottom of page to click on the CSS rule to create certain codes and such, but I am not sure how to do this.  I tried one thing which was where it says target rule, I clicked new CSS Rule and then in then in the CSS Styles Panel on right side of screen I selected add property which I was then able to do a text decloration and underline, but it underlines many more sentenses than I am wanting or have selected.  Please help so I am able to specifically choose how to underline just a word or two, and even to have just a word or two specifiaclly be a certain font, size or color.  I am able to find ways to make this work on words as a whole, but not individual words or phrases.

Thanks for any help its really appreciated!

Rylan

• 1. Re: New to Dreamweaver and need help with fomatting font
          John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Bear in mind that an underlined word or phrase on the web means a clickable link to most people.

So, if you want to draw attention to something on screen, use anything (font size, color etc) except for an underline.

text-decoration: underline; is only used in CSS for styling clickable links. Not for regular text.

One option is to use the HTML <span> tag combined with CSS.

CSS

.important {

font-size: 14px;

color: red;

}

<p>This sentence contains a really <span class="important">important</span> word</p>