32 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2012 10:51 AM by Peter Spier

InDesign CS5 crashing as I open document

mmbro12 Level 1

I NEED HELP! I'm about to send my 32 page InDesign files to press and suddenly the document crashes whenever I try to open it. I think there may be a font conflict but I'm not sure how to save as something else -- it crashes before I have a chance to do anything. Font in question has been removed from my computer but that doesn't seem to have helped. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

• 1. Re: InDesign CS5 crashing as I open document
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Opersting System? Version of InDesign?

• 2. Re: InDesign CS5 crashing as I open document
            Daniel Flavin Level 4

What Operating System, which version of InDesign?

Remove InDesign's recovery folder, move it to a safe location. Chances are, you won't need any of it.

For Win 7 - By default, the recovery folder will be locaated at \Users\<your Username>\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\Version 7.5\<your language>\Caches\InDesign Recovery. Move everything out of that folder to a safe temporary location, then try to launch ID from the start menu.

• 3. Re: InDesign CS5 crashing as I open document
              mmbro12 Level 1

I'm on a Mac OS X 10.6.8, InDesign CS5

"Remove InDesign's recovery folder" -- I don't follow

• 4. Re: InDesign CS5 crashing as I open document
                Daniel Flavin Level 4

The default location for ID's recovery folder on a Mac

Users/[User Name]/ Library/Cache/Adobe InDesign/Version[#.0]/ InDesign Recovery

Move the folder; drag to your Desktop, (do not copy it, move it.)

Adobe's notes on the Recovery Folder

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/329/329853.html

• 5. Re: InDesign CS5 crashing as I open document

At this point there is probably corrupt recovery data that is causing ID to crash each time it tries to re-launch, so you should empty the recovery folder (or just move it to the desktop), then try to open ID again without opening any files. If you crash again either on launch, or after trying to open your file, post the crash report on pastebin.com, then put a link to it here.

• 6. Re: InDesign CS5 crashing as I open document
                    willyrw Level 1

Folks... I've been using InDesign CS5 with no problem for weeks. Today I go to open a file, and the program crashes immediately upon it trying to start - a critical error - the startup box shows that it is "initiliaizing". Any ideas why this might happen? I de-installed, re-installed, and same problem. Yet Illustrator and Photoshop work fine? I'm running in Windows XP. Sure would appreciate some help.

Thanks,

Bill

• 7. Re: InDesign CS5 crashing as I open document
                      John Hawkinson Level 5

Reset your preferences.

Try a new user account.

One possibility is that is crashing trying to recover from a previous crash.

• 8. Re: InDesign CS5 crashing as I open document
                        willyrw Level 1

John, if by preferences you mean my Adobe account preferences, I actually opened an account after the crashing started yesterday. Making a change in those preferences did nothing.

Since it is a new user account, and the crashing started before I created the account, I don't see how creating a new account would make any difference?

Bill

• 9. Re: InDesign CS5 crashing as I open document

Willy,

John is talking about the InDesign application preferences (see Replace Your Preferences) and the user account that you use to log onto your computer, nothing at all to do with an account at Adobe.com

• 10. Re: InDesign CS5 crashing as I open document
                            willyrw Level 1

Thank you Peter. I did figure that out by continue reading of the Adobe info.

I cannot change preferences as InDesign won't open far enough to allow me to. When I use the ShiftCtlAl button to try and do so, the expect box does not appear. When I try to find the preferences caches referred to in the troubleshooting section, the paths to those files do not appear on my computer.

I have installed nothing, done nothing to the computer, yet from one day to the next, the darned program won't open, and I have a client waiting for updates.

Any further suggestions?

Thanks,

Bill

• 11. Re: InDesign CS5 crashing as I open document
                              willyrw Level 1

Further, Peter....

The instructions for the path to the possibly offending folders or files is thus:

InDesign SavedData:

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\\Caches\ (Note: Prior to version 6 the language folder is not used).

In my XP Documents and Settings menu, I don't show a local settings, or application data folders on the menu. I can only find Adobe InDesign data in the Programs folder, and the folders or files suggested that I delete are not there.

Thanks,

Bill

• 12. Re: InDesign CS5 crashing as I open document

Those folders are normally hidden by default to protect people from themselves. In XP, open and Explorer window, the go to Tools > Folder Options.... and on the View tab scroll down to Hidden Files and Folders and clcik the radio button to show them. While you are there, uncheck the box to hide file extensions for known file types. You may also need to show protected operating system files, but I don't think so for Adobe prefs.

• 13. Re: InDesign CS5 crashing as I open document
                                  willyrw Level 1

Peter, I deleted the cache, no luck.

I desintalled and re-installed. No luck.

I did get the Ctl/Alt/Shift thing to work by trying to boot the program from the main file, and not a desktop Icon, cleared the preferences a number of times... no luck.

The darned InDesign won't get past "intiializing".

Any other thoughts?

Thanks much.

Bill

• 14. Re: InDesign CS5 crashing as I open document

Do you have a Dr Watson log for this?

• 15. Re: InDesign CS5 crashing as I open document
                                      willyrw Level 1

Thank you Peter. I just spent 35 minutes on the phone with Adobe Support and they isolated the problem as of Microsoft origin. I had to create a new user account on my computer, and having done so, I can open InDesign in the new user account, not in my original account?

Will now contact MS to ask for their input.

Thank you so much for your prompt response and help. It is much appreciated.

Bill

• 16. Re: InDesign CS5 crashing as I open document

Try going back to your original account and rmoving the entire InDesign folders fromthe two locations in your user profile, then restart ID. That might or might not work (could be the problem is in the registry). The new account is a workaround, not a fix, and indicates corruption in the primary account. Trashing the prefs usually takes care of that, but sometimes you need to get more drastic.

• 17. Re: InDesign CS5 crashing as I open document
                                          willyrw Level 1

Yeah, it's a work around. Turns out that you can't contact MS without paying for the privilege, and the "community" basically says to migrate your files to the new user and, oh, sorry, but you can't take your emails with you.

Goodness, what a mess.

When you say move the folders from my user profile, are you saying that I open the Windows programs list, and move them from there to somewhere else? If so, where, and if not, what am I missing this time?

Thanks,

Bill

• 18. Re: InDesign CS5 crashing as I open document

No. Go back to Documents and Settings for the first account. Close all Adobe programs, then just rename the two Adobe folders (one is in Application Data, the Other is in Local Settings\Application Data) by adding a  _ to the name so they are no longer valid paths for the programs. They should be rebuilt when you restart a program.

Launch ID again and see if it works.

And you CAN move your email, but it's a bit of a pain....

• 19. Re: InDesign CS5 crashing as I open document
                                              willyrw Level 1

Sorry to take so long. Had to do some work!

Found and renamed both files. When I booted InDesign, it recreated one of them, but still crashed at the same place.

Bill

• 20. Re: InDesign CS5 crashing as I open document
                                                John Hawkinson Level 5

Bill: I'm a bit confused, since I originally suggested you create a new account, and you demurred because "Since it is a new user account, and the crashing started before I created the account, I don't see how creating a new account would make any difference?"

So to be perfectly clear, it works in one account and not in another, right? There are several directories as well. What version of InDesign CS5 is this? Hold down Control and select About InDesign (in your working copy). I'm not near a Windows a windows installation of InDesign, so I can't go through all the folders, but you could search for folders with "InDesign" in the name.

• 21. Re: InDesign CS5 crashing as I open document
                                                  willyrw Level 1

John, sorry to be confusing. My only excuse is ignorance. You did suggest a new account, and I couldn't figure out how a new account at Adobe would make any difference. It was later that I understood that the account you referred to was for the computer, not for Adobe.

InDesign will still  not start if I log on as the original computer user, an "identity" I have used without any problem for years and years. I'm not so sure that it's a Microsoft Windows problem. I have never had the issue with any other software before, and I have lots,.

At least now, even if it's a PITA to do, I can get my project back underway by changing user accounts on the computer.

Thanks ever for your kind assistance.

Cheers,

Bill Wade

• 22. Re: InDesign CS5 crashing as I open document
                                                    John Hawkinson Level 5

Bill: Thanks for clarifying. Apparently I should have been more clear from the start. I didn't understand that you interpretted me differently with respect to "account."

So, anyhow, I asked you some questions. For instance:  What version of InDesign CS5 is this? Hold down Control and select About InDesign (in your working copy).

And, to reiterate, I would search your machine and your user profile for directories with InDesign in the name and remove them or move them aside until the problem goes away.

I'm not so sure that it's a Microsoft Windows problem. I have never had the issue with any other software before, and I have lots,.

It's definitely the case that InDesign's preferences are corrupt and they are causing it to misbehave. This is unlikely to be Microsoft's fault, though I suppose it is possible. But in any case, Microsoft isn't going to be able to help you.

• 23. Re: InDesign CS5 crashing as I open document

John Hawkinson wrote:

And, to reiterate, I would search your machine and your user profile for directories with InDesign in the name and remove them or move them aside until the problem goes away.

Ummmm....

I wouldn't remove or move aside just any old folder that says InDesign or you'll be removing the program folders. I believe I already suggested renaming all things Adobe in the user profile (whcih should have removed all things in the profile related to ID), and apparently that didn't work, so my guess is the problem is probably buried in the registry in the current user key, but I wouldn't begin to give advice here about where to look and what to edit -- I'd just be guessing and a mistake could do a lot of damage.

• 24. Re: InDesign CS5 crashing as I open document
                                                        John Hawkinson Level 5

Peter:

I wouldn't remove or move aside just any old folder that says InDesign or you'll be removing the program folders

Ha! Of course I meant aside from the Program Files folders. Good catch.

One should be careful. Of course, if the user is not an Administrator, damage is limited. But that may not be the case.

I believe I already suggested renaming all things Adobe in the user profile (whcih should have removed all things in the profile related to ID), and apparently that didn't work, so my guess is the problem is probably buried in the registry in the current user key, but I wouldn't begin to give advice here about where to look and what to edit -- I'd just be guessing and a mistake could do a lot of damage.

Well, I believe it's fairly possible to miss items on such a search.

I'm under the impression that removing any and all InDesign keys from the user registry should be perfectly safe. Do you have reason to think otherwise?

• 25. Re: InDesign CS5 crashing as I open document

I'm no registry expert, but I'm under the impression that there's a lot of spaghetti connections in there and that removing a key or value in error could keep ID from functioning due to unintended consequnces in the licensing sytems. etc.

Although we know there is apparently nothing wrong withthe program itself, I'd be more inclined to remove the adobe folders from the user profile, uninstall ID using Add/Remove Programs from the Windows Control Panel, then run the clean tool (Resolve installation problems with CS5 Cleaner Tool) which should clean out the registry and remove any traces left behind by the uninstaller, reboot clean and run the installer again from the main account.

This is, for sure, a pain in the neck, but it's safe and hopefully will restore functionality.

Speaking of restoring -- Bill, have you tried running System Restore and going back to before it stopped working? My experience with System Restore on XP was that it never worked when you needed it, but it's pretty painless to try.

• 26. Re: InDesign CS5 crashing as I open document
                                                            willyrw Level 1

Both you Peter & John, you folks are great. What wonderful support and experience for a newbie to the Adobe forums.

I did locate a couple of folders about Adobe InDesign in various application locations, and changed the name of both by adding a _. When I attempted to reboot InDesign, the process created one few folder, but, yet again, the program would not run.

What is odd to me is that my CS5 version contains Illustrator and Photoshop too. Both of these applications work fine, which strongly suggests that it's something about the InDesign itself that's gibbled up. Wish I knew what it was.

I am running Indesign CS5 (7.0.0.355)

Cheers,

Bill

• 27. Re: InDesign CS5 crashing as I open document
                                                              John Hawkinson Level 5

I'm no registry expert, but I'm under the impression that there's a lot of spaghetti connections in there and that removing a key or value in error could keep ID from functioning due to unintended consequnces in the licensing sytems. etc.

Well, I'm not either, but I think adjusting the User registry (rather than the SYSTEM registry) should be fairly safe.

Although we know there is apparently nothing wrong withthe program itself, I'd be more inclined to remove the adobe folders from the user profile, uninstall ID using Add/Remove Programs from the Windows Control Panel, then run the clean tool (Resolve installation problems with CS5 Cleaner Tool) which should clean out the registry and remove any traces left behind by the uninstaller, reboot clean and run the installer again from the main account.

Does that in fact happen? On a Mac, uninstallation does not remove user-specific state, and I would have thought the same was true under Windows. That is, on a Mac, if creating a new user account solves the problem, reinstalling InDesign will not solve the problem. I'm surprised to hear that this is different under Windows, but I guess it's not shocking since the registry operates somewhat differently than other configuration state management mechanisms.

• 28. Re: InDesign CS5 crashing as I open document
                                                                John Hawkinson Level 5

What is odd to me is that my CS5 version contains Illustrator and Photoshop too. Both of these applications work fine, which strongly suggests that it's something about the InDesign itself that's gibbled up. Wish I knew what it was.

All the creative suite programs have their own independent configuration files. If one of them is messed up, it will only affect the relevant program, not all the others. They're really all seperate programs. Just as a problem with InDesign won't affect Excel, it also won't affect Illustrator.

I am running Indesign CS5 (7.0.0.355)

While I suspect it is unlikely to help, you really must update to 7.0.4.553. 7.0.0 is horribly buggy.

• 29. Re: InDesign CS5 crashing as I open document

John Hawkinson wrote:

Well, I'm not either, but I think adjusting the User registry (rather than the SYSTEM registry) should be fairly safe.

Problem is that each user has a resgistry "hive" of their own, but it has system level as well as user-specific controls, and some keys refer to other keys in other locations, which may refer to yet other keys, and many ot hem don't have any inidcation that they might be InDesign-related, or even Adobe-related.  My general rule is if you don't know exactly what you are doing in the registry, do nothing.

Does that in fact happen? On a Mac, uninstallation does not remove user-specific state, and I would have thought the same was true under Windows. That is, on a Mac, if creating a new user account solves the problem, reinstalling InDesign will not solve the problem. I'm surprised to hear that this is different under Windows, but I guess it's not shocking since the registry operates somewhat differently than other configuration state management mechanisms.

When uninstalling you have the option to remove user data. Combining that with the clean tool OUGHT to make it like the program was never there, but I can't swear it works as I've never had to try.

• 30. Re: InDesign CS5 crashing as I open document
                                                                    John Hawkinson Level 5

When uninstalling you have the option to remove user data. Combining that with the clean tool OUGHT to make it like the program was never there, but I can't swear it works as I've never had to try.

Ah. Well, my experience is that the user preferences removed when uninstalling are the same as those removed with [cmd]-ctrl-shift-alt/opt at startup, and that is not Absolutely Everything.

But enough naysaying! It is better to try than to give up!

• 31. Re: InDesign CS5 crashing as I open document
                                                                      willyrw Level 1

Chaps, would some sort of registry clean up program provide any benefit here, do you think?

Bill

• 32. Re: InDesign CS5 crashing as I open document

Most likely none at all, and some of them do more harm than good.