2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2012 6:11 AM by yftsoi

Space preserved when pressing enter in the code view

yftsoi

Sorry guys. This may be a old problem in Dreamweaver cs5.5, but i can't find any solutions of solving this.

When i press enter in the code view,same as the following:

<div>

<div></div> ------ (1)

<div></div>  ------ (2)

</div>

Dreamweaver cs5.5 help me to indent.

When i preview the page in my browser, i find that there is space between two div (1) and (2). (i set the display of block as inline-block in css) (but there is the same problem when i change div to span too)

If i code as the following:

<div>

<div></div><div></div>

</div>

The space vanish.

The problem is how can i code or set the dreamweaver such that there is no space preserved when i code as the top one?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Space preserved when pressing enter in the code view
          rab1853

Hi yftsol,

I've just been working on the same problem.  My code formatting vanished upon uploading my site to my server.  What I think is happening is that Dreamweaver CS5.5 is getting confused about how to interpret the use of the enter key.

The fix for my site was to go up to the opening <html> tag and remove all whitespace between it and the doctype declaration.  Then, I moved the opening <html> tag back down to my second line of the document and re-uploaded the file.  Then, when I viewed the source code from the live site, everything was formatted properly.

I hope this helps!

Rosemary

• 2. Re: Space preserved when pressing enter in the code view
            yftsoi Level 1

Thank you rosemary,

I think you may misunderstand my question.

What my problem is that pressing enter in code view for having a nice code format leads to the space preserved between divs when i preview the design on the browser.

But thanks for your reply. Hope you can have a nice design and code experience!