3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2013 4:17 PM by apptouchtech

Stack overflow error with production release

manu_136 Level 1

Hi,

I am using Flex 4.5.1 and I am getting a weird error upon exporting a production release. Here is the stack trace:

VerifyError: Error #1023: Stack overflow occurred.

at spark.components.gridClasses::GridLayout/intializeGridVisualElement()

at spark.components.gridClasses::GridLayout/layoutIndicator()

at spark.components.gridClasses::GridLayout/layoutCaretIndicator()

at spark.components.gridClasses::GridLayout/updateDisplayList()

at spark.components.supportClasses::GroupBase/updateDisplayList()

at spark.components::Group/updateDisplayList()

at spark.components::Grid/updateDisplayList()

at mx.core::UIComponent/validateDisplayList()

at spark.components::Group/validateDisplayList()

at mx.managers::LayoutManager/validateDisplayList()

at mx.managers::LayoutManager/doPhasedInstantiation()

at mx.managers::LayoutManager/doPhasedInstantiationCallback()

As you can see there is no trace of our own classes anywhere. I don't get this error if I use the normal debug version. We are very close to going live and we can't use the debug version files as they are bulky and are increasing the initial load time of the application.

Please help!

Thanks.

Manoj

• 1. Re: Stack overflow error with production release
          Flex harUI Adobe Employee

Are you using gridLayout in multiple places? Try to figure out which one is causing the problem.

• 2. Re: Stack overflow error with production release
            aNOOBe

Look at this question: http://stackoverflow.com/q/3350143/256544

It seems to be a Flash Player/Actionscript Compiler bug: http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/ASC-2993

• 3. Re: Stack overflow error with production release
              apptouchtech

Hey I get this suddenly in an app that's been running and working fine.  We just updated with a release build for some other updates and I get this error.  Here's the context:

I am using Flex 4.6, have a component that extends the Flex 3 AdvancedDataGrid for some lightweight customization of how column resising work.  The component is used in several of our apps.  But, for some reason, and with no code updates to this particular component in a while, when I click on a row in the grid, I get this stack overflow exception too.  The exact same stack trace as the one mentioned by the original poster.

Anyone have a clue why I would be seeing "spark.components.gridClasses::..." in my stack trace to begin with when the component that is being clicked on is a Flex 3 AdvDataGrid component?  I've seen some mention of the compiler error that somehow bashes the stack under the perfect circumstances.  But, in our case, we've eliminated all of our own event handlers (click/etc) from the grid and we still get this error and only in the release build.  So, there's no way to change any of our code to fix it b/c none of our code is executing when the error occurs.

This is very very odd stuff.  Any ideas???