8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2012 8:16 AM by Peter Spier

Clean upgrade, how?

LouWrench Level 1

I am having problems with my display (the light greys were burnt-out), even after recalibrating it! I took my iMac (Lion) to a Apple support team. They couldn't find what was wrong, but made a new Admin user and the display was fine. I have spent the last week trying to get my "new" user to look and work like my old user.

Surely a clean install would be as bad? or worse?

Lou

• 1. Re: Clean upgrade, how?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm a windows user, but I doubt it would be any worse than what you are doing now, since the problem, as I recall was ownership. My wild guess would be if you resinstall, that old owner either disappears entirely, in which case the permissions issues probably disappear, too, or an identically named account created on the new system is recognized as the same as the old one, and the problem also vanishes.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Clean upgrade, how?
            LouWrench Level 1

But what happens to all those little goodies you loaded off the internet, and the stuff you cannot find your install discs for, serial numbers, etc.

I look at my Apps folder and Utilities folder, and I don't know what is user dependant, system dependant, or what! Is it just a background app I had forgotten I had installed, it is just there working!

Does a "clean install" mean what I think it means? Wipe your hard drive clean, format it, then start again?

I would love to but...

Lou

• 3. Re: Clean upgrade, how?
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

That’s what it means.

What would you do if the harddrive crashed? Been known to happen, you know.

Bob

• 4. Re: Clean upgrade, how?
                LouWrench Level 1

Rebuild from Time machine, but that would take me back here, and here is not clean, since I had to rebuild my Hard drive a couple of weeks ago, it "seems" quirky since then, along with the poor display. This is sort of why I'm asking

Lou

• 5. Re: Clean upgrade, how?

PITA to be sure but in the long run you spend less time.

Bob

• 6. Re: Clean upgrade, how?
                    LouWrench Level 1

Correct answer but was hoping for a better one!!

Thanks Bob

Lou

• 7. Re: Clean upgrade, how?

If it makes you feel any better I’m staring at this for my MacBook, too.

Bob

• 8. Re: Clean upgrade, how?
                        Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Hving done clean rebuilds once too often, I now make a point of imaging my drives after installing all my apps but before the get used for real work. Restoring that clean image is a lot faster than a real rebuild, but not as fast as restoring from a more recent image (which I also do after major changes). It helps, too, that OS and Applications are completely separate from data files so either one can be restored without disturbing or losing anything from the other.