4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2012 6:30 AM by Eugene Tyson

things to do with the Book panel

FieryPantone Level 3

Now, this time I've checked the panel menu first  and drawn a blank. So, a couple of new-to-InDesign questions ...

• how to have the book panel open (that is, showing all the files) but still neatly under all the other panels rather than springing out to the left
      • how to have the book panel show the first heading/paragraph rather than the filename (a familiar FrameMaker switch)
      • how to select/open several files at once, starting from the book panel

Thans in advance!

Niels Grundtvig Nielsen

You know what you're talking about -- I can help you say it

• 1. Re: things to do with the Book panel
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          • how to have the book panel open (that is, showing all the files) but still neatly under all the other panels rather than springing out to the left

It won't you always have to drag it to the side panels. Also it must not be minimised when you are working on files, when it's minimised files in the book panel show a Yellow Triangle warning symbol, which says that the document was saved when the Book Panel was closed. So the book panel must be always expanded for the files to update, before saving.

• how to have the book panel show the first heading/paragraph rather than the filename (a familiar FrameMaker switch)

It can't. 

how to select/open several files at once, starting from the book panel

Shift click to select a range of files - or CTRL (cmd) click to select random order of files - then double click. They open.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: things to do with the Book panel

This forum software sucks.

• 3. Re: things to do with the Book panel
              FieryPantone Level 3

Thanks for the speedy response! one part of which prompts another question: can I use a Table of Contents to navigate through source files in the book - in other words, click on a ToC entry to open the corresponding file?  1. no open book under other panels Well, it's only a minor inconvenience  2. no "show text" option A larger inconvenience - see new (related question)  3. multi open Ah, got it! I'd been thinking in terms of one action to select and then a separate action to open selection  Yes, you'd hope forums for the likes of CS5 users would at least allow you to use HTML entity codes ...  N

• 4. Re: things to do with the Book panel

No you can't navigate with the TOC.

Why do you need to show the opening paragraph in the Document name inside the book?

I very rarely name chapters I'm workong as Chapter 1, Chapter 2, etc. in the file name. I usually name them by the title of the Chapter.

That's so if the Chapter position in the book changes, I just move the Chapter to another location in the book and update the numbering (via the book panel)

When you've setup Paragraph Styles for Chapters using the Bullets and Numbering in the style options, select Numbering and insert

Chapter ^H

For each Chapter then it's titled

Chapter 1

Chapter 2

Chapter 3

If I move chapter 3 to Chapter 1 location and update the numbering, all numbering updates automatically throughout the book.