5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2012 7:15 AM by the_wine_snob

Cannot extract video From DVD

Vidgit

Hello and thanks for any help!

Just purchased the combo Premiere and PhotoShop Elements 10. Installed Premiere. No errors or complaints. Fired up program and tried to extract video from a DVD that we had burned from dumped camera footage. This DVD will play fine on the computer that I installed Premier to. The footage is about 1.62 GB. I have 300 GB drives on the PC, XP SP3, 4 GB RAM. Premiere finds the DVD drive no problem, sees the footage, (VOB, TS, etc.) fine but when I hit the extract/Go button the drive spins for about 30 seconds or so and then Premiere hangs and I have to reboot and try again. I have made sure Windows is up to date, Direct X is installed, QuickTime is installed, etc. I am not receiving any error messages, the PC justs hangs. We use this PC to run AutoCAD on as well and it works flawlessly. Any ideas/suggestions are appreciated.

• 1. Re: Cannot extract video From DVD
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What happens if you copy the VIDEO_TS folder from the disc to your computer's hard drive and then import the VOB files into your Premiere Elements project?

BTW, in order to work with DVD video, it's very important that your project is using the Hard Disk Camcorder 720x480 project settings. If you did not select these settings when you started your project, you're going to have some serious problems later with it.

• 2. Re: Cannot extract video From DVD
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Has was that DVD-Video authored, burned? What program was used?

Most DVR's, and many authoring programs do not create 100% DVD-compatible discs, and this shows up most often with the first VOB. If Steve's suggestion to Import the VOB's does not get the full MPEG-2 file(s) from the VOB's (the MPEG-2 can span several VOB's), then take a look at this ARTICLE.

I also support the suggestion to Copy over the full VIDEO_TS folder, including the VOB's, IFO's and BUP's. That does two things:

1. It will speed up access to the files, for smoother, quicker editing, vs coming off the disc in the multi-drive
            2. It will give you continued access to the files, so that you do not need to always have that disc in the multi-drive

Good luck, and let us know a bit more, please,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Cannot extract video From DVD
              Vidgit Level 1

Thank you very much for the helpful suggestion. This works! I do not understand why I cannot extract as per advertised but this is indeed a workaround.

• 4. Re: Cannot extract video From DVD
                Vidgit Level 1

The footage was shot and dumped directly into a Pioneer DVD burning appliance through FW. The "authoring" software was just the menu options in the Pioneer. Using Steve's and your suggestion to manually copy over the needed files to the hard drive works fine. There appears to be some compatability issue here as you alluded to and I am not going to spend any more time trying to figure out exactly why as I now can get on with the process. Thanks for your time and suggestions!

• 5. Re: Cannot extract video From DVD
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

The footage was shot and dumped directly into a Pioneer DVD burning appliance through FW

Yes, almost every DVR that I have encountered, or read about, does NOT create a 100% DVD-compatible disc. They author in a rudimentary navigation system and minimal Menu, and the first VOB will usually be the problem, as it contains navigation and Menus.

I have also seen DVR discs, that will ONLY play properly from that exact same DVR. I use my Panasonic multi-deck for creating true "archival" DVD's, that are ONLY for backup. I never attempt to edit from those DVD-Videos, but will re-capture the VHS footage, through my Canopus A-D Bridge.

Good luck, and glad that you are now editing those VOB's.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful