2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2012 11:17 AM by B4stien

Grouping PageItems

B4stien Level 1

Hi everyone,

I'm struggeling with this problem, I'm trying to group 2 PageItems, one of them is a TextFrame, while the second can be a Story, an Image or a PDF. I add those items programmatically on the page and then try to group them:

function insertFile(file:File, description:String, page:Page):void{

var placedObject:Object = page.place(file);

var myTextFrame:TextFrame = page.textFrames.add();

var objectBounds:Object = placedObject.geometricBounds;

myTextFrame.geometricBounds = [objectBounds[2], objectBounds[1], objectBounds[2] + 5, objectBounds[3]];

myTextFrame.contents = description;

page.groups.add([myTextFrame, placedObject]);

}

Unfortunatelly this fails and returns: Invalid parameter at the "page.groups.add([myTextFrame, placedObject]);" line.

I've tried to call a Javascript script with the pageItems ids as argument instead, but the script can't find the "placedObject" in the list of pageItems.

InDesign.app.doScript(file, ScriptLanguage.JAVASCRIPT, [''+myTextFrame.id, ''+placedObject.id]); // => alerts: Given ids: 302, 276 - Available ids: 302, 271

If I try to fetch the placedObject via its id in my method it finds it, but the groups.add still fails:

var placedItem:PageItem = page.pageItems.itemById(placedObject.id);

I've also tried to create 2 TextFrames and group them, and this works. So there seem to be something wrong with my placedObject, but I can't figure out what. Does anyone has a clue?

Thanks for your help.

-- Bastien

• 1. Re: Grouping PageItems
          absqua Level 4

In JavaScript, anyway, place() returns an array whose members are the images, pdfs, or whatever. You can't add those to groups; you have to add their parent rectangles. So, again in JavaScript, it would need to look like:

var placedObject  = page.place(file)[0].parent;

You should be able to group that.

Jeff

• 2. Re: Grouping PageItems
            B4stien Level 1

Thanks big time Jeff! Using the parent works.

(In ActionScript place() returns an array as well, I just forgot it in my example)