8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2012 8:45 AM by the_wine_snob

I cant see a video anymore.

juhv

I started to use Adobe Premiere elements 10 a few days ago. I have Sanyo Xacti VPC-CG 10 camcorder. In first day everything was fine and I succeeded to edit a couple nice videos and loaded them into youtube. However the next I tried to fix the video and do some editing again but now I couldnt see a video at all. I only could hear the sound. Probably I have done something wrong but I dont know what it can be. Can anyone help me with this problem???

• 1. Re: I cant see a video anymore.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

When you started your Premiere Elements project, which project settings did you select?

Where is your video located on your computer's hard drive?

Have you updated your computer's graphics card drive from the ATI or nVidia web site?

• 2. Re: I cant see a video anymore.
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Along with the answers to Steve's questions, I strongly second his last one - the video card driver. PrE interfaces very closely with the video driver - much more so, than almost any other program. Things as simple as an OS update/hot-fix, can render the video card's driver obsolete.

What is the make/model of your video card?

What is the installed driver's version/date?

Do not trust Windows to tell you that you have the latest driver. Check with the mfgr's. Web site, or if you have a Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc. computer, check on their Web site for the latest.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: I cant see a video anymore.
              juhv Level 1

I did not change any settings so they I think I used NTSC-FLIP-Flip Mino and Ultra29_97p. But this is the first time I do any edition and I know almost nothing about these things so maybe I just have to try to learn some more...

• 4. Re: I cant see a video anymore.
                the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE has links to some good learning resources for PrE, and especially to Steve Grisetti's Basic Training Series, which I strongly recommend. He steps one through creating a Project from a Preset, that matches the Source Footage. This step is very important. There are some other learning resources in there too.

Good luck, and please let us know about your video card, and its driver.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: I cant see a video anymore.
                  juhv Level 1

Ok I will check my video card driver then. But I still wonder why it worked perfectly just couple of days ago and now its not working at all.

• 6. Re: I cant see a video anymore.
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, if one has the OS update set to the default, then there will be constant updates and hot-fixes being downloaded and installed, without the user even knowing about it. Those can render a video (or audio) driver obsolete instantly. That is why the mfgrs. issue a new one, about once per month. I am not saying that that is why things worked one day, but not the next, but it is a strong possibility.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: I cant see a video anymore.
                      juhv Level 1

Thanks for your help guys! I updated my driver and now it seems to work again.

• 8. Re: I cant see a video anymore.
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news!

Video (and Audio) drivers are very fragile things, and can become obsolete very quickly. What fools many users is that other programs seem to be working just fine, and they are. Programs like PrE, PrPro, AE, now PS/PSE, 3D creation apps., CAD and extreme games, however, interface with the display drivers much more, than other programs, so will show up a problem, when other apps. merrily chug along.

Good luck,

Hunt