10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2012 6:51 AM by sharon@guruuve.com Branched from an earlier discussion.

Re: Indesign just keep crashing ( CS5.5 [Branched])

pagalina Level 1

I'm having the same hang-time crashes with Indesign CS5 version 7.0.4.553. I just installed OSX Lion to get rid of the CS problems I was having previously. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Indesign, I spoke for 40 minutes with tech support, and when my use of extensis suitcase was mentioned, she got off the call before I could double check that turning it off had ended my problems.

I can launch indesign, and I can open very simple files, but most existing files hangs indesign up. so I forcequit and then indesign hangs altogether at launch.

I posted my crash report in pastebin

http://pastebin.com/7S6CDUTD

I tried RedHotJoe's suggestion but didn't see the folder he mentioned. I do have older versions of the Creative Suite still installed on my system as they are sometimes helpful to have, would that create issues?

Any recommendations? I'm starting to dig and remove extensis stuff on the off chance that will give me back my work-life!! thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Indesign just keep crashing
          pagalina Level 1

Update, I just removed extensis suitcase plug-in from the indesign folder, and lo and behold my files open now. Helloooooo Font Book!

• 2. Re: Indesign just keep crashing
            redhotjoe

Hey Pagalina,

With Lion you can only see the "Library" folder by holding the option key down and clicking on the "GO" menu in the finder.

For some reason Apple decided with Lion to hide the Library. So if you hold down the option key and click on "GO" you will

see the Library appear and then you can follow the rest of my steps.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Red Hot Joe.

• 3. Re: Indesign just keep crashing
              John Hawkinson Level 5

pagalina: Just to confirm what you already determined:

Update, I just removed extensis suitcase plug-in from the indesign folder, and lo and behold my files open now.

You wrote:

I posted my crash report in pastebin

http://pastebin.com/7S6CDUTD

Any recommendations? I'm starting to dig and remove extensis stuff on the off chance that will give me back my work-life!! thanks in advance.

Your report is a "hang" report rather than a crash report, but it shows that InDesign is stuck in:

17 DocumentElement::LoadFontSenseInfoForDocument(FSSpec const&) + 196 (in ExtensisFontManagementIDCS5) [0xa8cf476]

By the way, I'm quite puzzled by your:

I just installed OSX Lion to get rid of the CS problems I was having previously.

Can you expand on this? I'm not aware of any problems cured by Lion, quite the contrary!

• 4. Re: Indesign just keep crashing
                wobblewoo

Do you think that this should be started under a different thread rather than piggy backed onto this one?

Seems my issue was with ID 5 (7.0.3) on OS 10.6.8. This latest post is about Extensis hanging on ID 5.5 and OS 10.7.

Just a thought

W

• 5. Re: Indesign just keep crashing
                  John Hawkinson Level 5

wobblewoo wrote:

Do you think that this should be started under a different thread rather than piggy backed onto this one?

In  a perfect world, yes. In practice, it is hard to achieve.

• 6. Re: Indesign just keep crashing
                    pagalina Level 1

John, my move to lion was wishful thinking on my part! My problem had been that if I left illustrator open and my computer went to sleep, that it wouldn't wake up and I'd have to force shut down. So i upgraded to Lion and experienced all new problems! Perhaps my problem has been extensis all along, but I really do like the functionality of suitcase fusion 3. I guess I will be adapting to font book.

And Wobblewoo, i thought my problem was indesign hanging. Just turned out to be something else causing it! sorry for hijacking the thread, but perhaps it will be helpful if people find their indesign 5 is not launching.

• 7. Re: Indesign just keep crashing ( CS5.5 [Branched])
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Looks like I was able to branch the discussion successfully.

• 8. Re: Indesign just keep crashing
                        sharon@guruuve.com

CS5 Indesign crashing on launch - photoshop and illustrator hanging and unexpectely quitting after sleep. Extensis the problem?

I’m having massive CS5 issues with hanging on sleep and crashing on launch especially with Indesign. I’m so frustrated. I keep reinstalling suitcase Fusion 3 as eventually it just seems to die out and not launch itself but right now it’s staying on. i have reinstalled CS5 as well but eventually it stops working too.

Here is my crash report on pastebin:
                        http://pastebin.com/index/9qBxJXqf

I did see try deleting the extensis plugin from Indesign app folder  but I know it’s only a matter of time before it breaks again.

Extensis points to MacKeeper and wants you to shut off ' 'logs cleaner' and 'binaries cutter' in the 'fast cleanup' section. no place to turn them off though!

• 9. Re: Indesign just keep crashing
                          John Hawkinson Level 5

Sharon: In the future, please open a new thread.

Extensis points to MacKeeper and wants you to shut off ' 'logs cleaner' and 'binaries cutter' in the 'fast cleanup' section. no place to turn them off though!

MacKeeper is [essentially] a scam. It messes lots of thigns up and was never necessary in the first place. Uninstall it and never use it again. Hopefully it is indeed the cause of these problems, but if so, it's plausible that you'll need to uninstall and reinstall InDesign to recover from its abuse.

Your crash report shows no sign of any problems related to Suitcase Fusion.

It does indicate that you're running 7.0.0; please make sure to update to 7.0.4.553 before continuing.

It's not clear that those things will really help, but you should start with them. Otherwise our investigation is tainted. And they may will solve the problem.