14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2017 6:13 AM by BarbBinder

Multiple index (indices) in one document

CJC Williams Level 1

Is it possible to create two indices within one document?

I've got a book made up of 4 separate indesign docs. I'd like to generate two indices – one listing brands, the other listing by product type

Is it possible, or is the index function only set up to handle one index per book/document?

• 1. Re: Multiple index (indices) in one document
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There's no built-in ability to do this, but I can suggest a work-around. When you are setting up your index markers, begin each of the Brand ones with a symbol or character that will not exist at the start of any of your product Listings. (you could use !, *, or § for instance). This will group all your brands together in the final generated index, and you'll just need to globally remove the symbol and add letter headings in the brand section.

Less than ideal, but it will get the job done.

• 2. Re: Multiple index (indices) in one document
            peter minneapolis Level 4

CJC Williams wrote:

Is it possible to create two indices within one document?

I've got a book made up of 4 separate indesign docs. I'd like to generate two indices – one listing brands, the other listing by product type

Is it possible, or is the index function only set up to handle one index per book/document?

Conditional text could do this, but it's a bunch of detailed work to mark every index marker for one or another condition, so that you can show or hide them as appropriate to a particular index. Search Google for terms like "InDesign conditional text" without quotes for details.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 3. Re: Multiple index (indices) in one document
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Peter,

I'm curious how you think Conditional Text would help here. You're limited to one index per document, and the usal approach seems to be the one outlined above, combine it all into one, but segregate the parts, then you can cut and paste into a new story.

• 4. Re: Multiple index (indices) in one document

Peter Spier wrote:

Peter,

I'm curious how you think Conditional Text would help here. You're limited to one index per document, and the usal approach seems to be the one outlined above, combine it all into one, but segregate the parts, then you can cut and paste into a new story.

Hi, Peter:

I read it as the goal was to create one of several different indexes. I'm not sure if you're saying that retaiining the multiple indices is the goal.

However, I've tested briefly, that it's possible to apply conditions to index markers, show or hide conditions, and generate/update the index for only the markers that are shown. Yes, more fiddly work, and you know I'm good at suggesting detail-fiddling when others do the actual work.<G>

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 5. Re: Multiple index (indices) in one document

I think it's a difference of interpretation. My take was the OP wants several indexes included, each from different entries, where you seem to think the OP want s to choose a single index to include from a list of possible indices based on different entries. I'd say conditinal text would do an excellent job of that, but I'm not sure in the real world anyone would actually want to do it. Why mark index entries at all if you don't plan on including them?

• 6. Re: Multiple index (indices) in one document
                    Grant H Level 4

well... he can create two books and then add the one index story to the other... you know what i mean...

G

• 7. Re: Multiple index (indices) in one document

Peter Spier wrote:

I think it's a difference of interpretation.

That's what I love about this place.

My take was the OP wants several indexes included, each from different entries, where you seem to think the OP want s to choose a single index to include from a list of possible indices based on different entries. I'd say conditinal text would do an excellent job of that, but I'm not sure in the real world anyone would actually want to do it. Why mark index entries at all if you don't plan on including them?

Each for a different edition/product/brand edition. I thought that was the goal.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 8. Re: Multiple index (indices) in one document

peter at knowhowpro wrote:

Peter Spier wrote:

I think it's a difference of interpretation.

That's what I love about this place.

My take was the OP wants several indexes included, each from different entries, where you seem to think the OP want s to choose a single index to include from a list of possible indices based on different entries. I'd say conditinal text would do an excellent job of that, but I'm not sure in the real world anyone would actually want to do it. Why mark index entries at all if you don't plan on including them?

Each for a different edition/product/brand edition. I thought that was the goal.

OK, I'l buy that as a legitimate possibility, in general, but in rereading the first post I stand by my position.

• 9. Re: Multiple index (indices) in one document

Peter Spier wrote:

OK, I'l buy that as a legitimate possibility, in general, but in rereading the first post I stand by my position.

If you're serious about buying, I'll give you the usual 99% forum discount.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

PS: I'm always suspicious, and I think I'm on to your game now. You keep some of these debatable threads alive just to bulk up your post count, right?

• 10. Re: Multiple index (indices) in one document

weren't you one the guys who challenged me to hit 60k by August?

• 11. Re: Multiple index (indices) in one document
                              deniztech

I've got an operating manual consisting of about 90 pages which includes tables, figures, and photos. They have been manually numbered and indexed at the end of the manual under separate lists. Is it possible to automatically create the same structure with Indesign's indexing feature?

adobe.forums.indexing.1.jpgadobe.forums.indexing.2.jpg

• 12. Re: Multiple index (indices) in one document
                                BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

They are in chronological order—and not alphabetical—so just use the Table of Contents command to collect the titles. You will need 3—one for the Figures, one for the Titles and one for the Photos. You can still put them in the back of the book.

1 person found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: Multiple index (indices) in one document
                                  deniztech Level 1

Dear Barb,

I've found out that using separate TOCs for my purposes was much better and faster and I've managed to create the indexes at the end of my manuals but there is a slight problem which I can't solve. I'm not sure if this thread is the correct place to ask this question so if you think that I should create a new thread please tell me to do it.

When I create my indexes they somehow automatically add a new index number at the start of the item which makes them unusable. My index styles do include numbering rules which automatically add the ordering number to the start of the index item. This is useful for me because I'm constantly updating my manuals which makes it much easier to insert items into the manual or remove them.

Is there any setting to turn off the numbering option just for the TOC but still keep it in the index style itself? I think that it would be an overkill if I had to create a new index style just for the index TOC.

• 14. Re: Multiple index (indices) in one document
                                    BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

It's early here, and I'm not clear what you mean by this:

they somehow automatically add a new index number at the start of the item

Can you share a screen shot?