5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2012 10:10 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements will not run - HELP

Cowriedoon1

This is infuriating as I had the same problem with PE 8.  I have installed the trial version of PE10 and when I run the application I get the "Welcome to" screen but when I click on either start new project or open project in seems to go through lots of start up loads, then - nothing.  The last thing it does is say "loading Importerquicktime.prm" then it dies leaving the "welcome to" screen.  What is wrong please.  I had loads of issues with PE 8.  It is not looking good for this latest version.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements will not run - HELP
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What operating system do you have? How fast is your processor, how much RAM do you have and how much free, clean defragmented space is on your C drive?

Have you tried running a Deep Care tune-up with Advanced System Care Free to see if that improves things?

http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html

Having two versions of the program exhibiting the same bugginess is a sure sign you could benefit from a good tune-up.

Have you manually gone to Windows Update and ensured you have even the non-critical updates to your system?

Have you gone to the ATI or nVidia sites and ensured you have the latest drivers for your video graphics card?

Have you ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime from Apple?

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements will not run - HELP
            Cowriedoon1 Level 1

Thanks for that.  PE 8 runs fine now on this machine. The problems I mentioned were with a previous machine.  I have Windows 7 professional running on an Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz with 4 GB of memory.  I have 14.8GB of free disc space on C:. I would be very interested to know if you think anything here is causing a problem for PE10.  Your help is much appreciated.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements will not run - HELP
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You will not be able to run Premiere Elements well on a machine with only 15 gigs of free space, even if you keep it freshly defragmented. The program itself needs about 20 gigs to run stably (or even to open).

If you're editing your video on your C drive, you will run into serious problems! You'll need a goood 40-50 gigs of free space on your C drive if you want to edit your video on it. If you're editing to a second or external drive though, you may be able to get by with only 20 gigs.

And I do recommend you run Advanced System Care, even if your computer is brand new. You'll be surprised how many temp and junk files and bloatware it will find!

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements will not run - HELP
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Buy and install a 2nd internal hard drive for all of your video files and projects... 7200rpm and not a "green" drive

Or, use an eSata external hard drive... again, 7200rpm

My 3 hard drives are configured as...

1 - 320Gig Boot for Win7 64bit Pro and all program installs

2 - 320Gig data for Win7 swap file and video project files

When I create a project on #2 drive, the various work files follow,

so my boot drive is not used for the media cache folder and files

3 - 1Terabyte data for all video files... input & output files (*)

(*) for 4 drives, drive 3 all source files & drive 4 all output files

Search Microsoft to find out how to redirect your Windows swap file

http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/784220?tstart=0

Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing

You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions

Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work

You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand

A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for EASY video editing

You need AT LEAST two hard drives (separate drives, never a partition http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708 for more) with Windows (or Mac OS) and software on your boot drive, and video files on a 2nd drive so the boot drive is not slowed down by trying to do everything

I find that the three drives I use work very well for me, for editing AVCHD video... some people use a 4th drive, so video INPUT files are on drive three and all OUTPUT files are on drive four... I only bought a mid-tower case instead of a full tower case (my bad... but had to fit in the space available on my office desk!) so I use the three drives that will fit

Depending on your exact hardware (motherboard brand & model AND USB2 enclosure brand & model AND external hard drive brand & model) AND the type of video file, you may... or may NOT... be able to use an external USB2 hard drive for SD (Standard Definition) video editing

Steve Grisetti in the Premiere Elements forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856208 and Jim Simon in the Premiere Pro forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856433 use USB externals for editing

A USB3 hard drive connected to a motherboard with USB3 is supposed to be fast enough for video editing (I don't have such, so don't know) but eSata DOES have a fast enough data transfer for video editing... I have not used the eSata Dock below... for reference only, YMMV and all the usual disclaimers

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-BlacX-eSATA-Docking-Station/dp/B001A4HAFS/ref=cm_cmu_pg_ t

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements will not run - HELP
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Is that Win7-32, or Win7-64? If 64-bit, you will also likely be running into problems with only 4GB of RAM, as that is about what Win7-64 needs. If you have Win7-32, then 4GB is the max. that the OS can use (actually ~ 3.5GB).

Along with Steve's comments, you might also get some tips on tuning up the system and the OS, from this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt