2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2012 1:12 PM by sound space

importing different video formats into the same project

sound space Level 1

I am new to premiere elements 10. I am a mac user. I have a sony XR350VE video camera which exports as AVCHD and a canon XHA1 which exports as HD.

I'd like to use footage from both cameras in the same project. Will elements be able to handle this?

• 1. Re: importing different video formats into the same project
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, PrE does not usually do well, with mixed formats. PrPro CS 5.5 does a better job at that.

I would do a quick test, with small Clips from the two cameras, and see how it goes. With the AVCHD material, I would first set up a New Project to match that, then add the HDV material to that Timeline, and test. If that does not yield good results, I would reverse the test, with an HDV Project, and Import the AVCHD into that.

I think that you will find it better to create two Projects, one for each format, and then edit them separately. You can then Export/Share one, say the AVCHD, to match the HDV footage. Then, you will likely have an easier time editing that Project.

For intermediate files, especially with a compressed format, such as AVCHD, I like using Largarith Lossless, or the UT Lossless CODEC's, but do not know if they work on a Mac. This ARTICLE goes into more detail.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: importing different video formats into the same project
            sound space Level 1

Thanks Bill, that is very helpful.