20 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2014 6:30 PM by miamidean

Unbold Numbered List

nmp1978 Level 1

How do I unbold the numbered list? The first phrase is bolded in my list but I do not want the numbers to be bold. Thanks!

• 1. Re: Unbold Numbered List
          Daniel Flavin Level 4

Create a Character Style - Plain

In the Bullet Paragraph Style, apply that Plain Character Style to the bullet, at the Bullets and Numbering tab

Bullet Style.JPG

• 2. Re: Unbold Numbered List
            miamidean Level 1

I have the same issue.

I find where to create a new Character Style but don't know how to make it Plain.

Then where is the Bullet Paragraph Style or how do I create it?

I am using InDesign as part of CS3 on Windows 7.

Dean

• 3. Re: Unbold Numbered List
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

miamidean schrieb:

I find where to create a new Character Style but don't know how to make it Plain.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/paragraph-character-styles.html

In the options are 3 posibilities:

1. – means ignor, it will not make any change
              2. An ok sign will apply this property
              3. Empty will deactivate this property

For font styling you will have to select a regular style to not to bolden a bullet.

miamidean schrieb:

Then where is the Bullet Paragraph Style or how do I create it?

https://blogs.adobe.com/indesigndocs/2009/10/bullets_numbering_gallery.html

• 4. Re: Unbold Numbered List
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Perhaps you only need to set the listed style to [None] to achieve what you want. It's hard to tell when you tag onto a two-year old thread and don't give us complete details.

Using [None] for the assigned style undeer bullets and numbering will set the bullet or number to whatever the defined font attributes are in the Paragraph Style definition, so, for example, if your style calls for Myriad Pro Regular 12 pt, and you've added a Nested Line Style that sets the first line to bold and red, setting the Character Style to [None] in the drop down under Bullets and Numbering will prevent the bullet or number from picking up the Bold and Red line style. On the other hand, if the underlying paragraph style calls for attributes, say italic, that you don't want, then you need to create a character style to apply to the bullet or number, and specifically set the attribute to regular.

• 5. Re: Unbold Numbered List
                  miamidean Level 1

Peter, thanks for your patience with a relative newbe.  I have applied paragraph numbering.  Some paragraphs have the first word bolded and so the number is also bolded for that paragraph.  When I tried No Paragraph Style, the number for that paragraph disappeared and it renumbered the whole sequence automatically.

When I get this resolved I also have a question about restarting cross frame numbering.  But help me knock this one first.

• 6. Re: Unbold Numbered List

The [None] to which I referred was the character style assigned to the bullet or number as part of the paragraph style, not assigning no paragraph style to the list.

• 7. Re: Unbold Numbered List
                      miamidean Level 1

I'm trying to send a screen shot of the Bullets and Numbers Options window.  Can't seem to find a way to attach or copy the graphic to the message.  Character Style is listed as None.

Dean

• 8. Re: Unbold Numbered List

use the camera icon on the web page, like this:

CameraIcon.png

• 9. Re: Unbold Numbered List
                          miamidean Level 1

screen InDesign numbers.jpg

Here is the Options window for Numbers Across Frames.  The paragraph style is Number Across Frames.  The Character Style is None.  What am I missing here?

Dean

• 10. Re: Unbold Numbered List

In those paragraphs where the first word is bold, what is making that word bold?

• 11. Re: Unbold Numbered List

Bildschirmfoto-2014-02-04-um-06.34.21.png

It is not true to select a character style [none] to solve your problem!

You have to use a Character Style for your numbers to avoid the style from the first character after the number (I have only the German Version installed at the moment):

1. Create a character style e.g. with the name "not bold"
                              2. Go to Basic Character Formats
                              3. In the field Font Style select the very same style as you paragraph has without bolding.
                              4. Click OK
                              5. Choose that style for your numbered lists.

When you make some words or characters bold, use always a dedicated character style! Don't apply only the style to that text. This is also valid for any other font styling!

• 12. Re: Unbold Numbered List

Willi Adelberger wrote:

It is not true to select a character style [none] to solve your problem!

That's not necessarily true. Using [None] should set the number to the same formatting as the basic character format defined in the paragraph style. Since we don't know yet what that might be we really can't answer why the numbers are bold in some cases but not in others.

• 13. Re: Unbold Numbered List

Peter, if someone applies a font or a style without using a specific character style, the number of the list is inheriting this styling.

There are 2 possibilities to avoid it:

1. Use a character style for formatting the numbers in the paragraph style or
                                  2. use only a character style in formating for emphasy, bolden or any other way any text, especially the first letters in a paragraph.

The correct use of character style is the problem's solution anyway.

• 14. Re: Unbold Numbered List

Willi Adelberger wrote:

Peter, if someone applies a font or a style without using a specific character style, the number of the list is inheriting this styling.

There are 2 possibilities to avoid it:

1. Use a character style for formatting the numbers in the paragraph style or
                                    2. use only a character style in formating for emphasy, bolden or any other way any text, especially the first letters in a paragraph.

Exactly. But the correct solution can't be known until we know how the paragraphs were built.

And for the record, in my original post I said applying [None] MIGHT be all that was required. If, in fact, it turns out that a style is going to be required to change the number format, that new style will have to call out the correct weight explicitly.

• 15. Re: Unbold Numbered List
                                      miamidean Level 1

The word is bolded by highlighting just that word and in the Character window and changing from Regular to Bold in the box after the font name.

• 16. Re: Unbold Numbered List

OK, we've pinned down the problem.

Instead of applying Bold as local formatting to the first word, apply it as a character style (you can create a style that just does bold). That won't affect the number.

If there's a pattern to when things need to be bold, you may be able to apply the character style as a nested style or a GREP style.

• 17. Re: Unbold Numbered List
                                          miamidean Level 1

Great!  I'll give it a try in a few minutes.

Second question.  I cannot seem to start a fresh cross frame numbering sequence.  After the Restart numbers, I get the 1. and then it reverts to the previous sequence.  What is the way of stopping the sequence so a new one can be started successfully. 

• 18. Re: Unbold Numbered List

I'm afraid I don't understand the question.

And I'm going to suggest you start a new topic and give complete details. We have some other users with a lot more list knowledge than I have.

• 20. Re: Unbold Numbered List
                                              miamidean Level 1

Really thanks to the several of you that sent suggestions.  I learned. 

My solution which was triggered by something I read was just to change Convert the Numbers to Text.  That allowed me to change the number to the correct one as well as unbold the number.  Since the text is a translation and the numbering will not be changing, an automatic numbering system is unnecessary.