4 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2008 7:14 AM by TechWriter77

Help does not launch for certain topics

TechWriter77
      Hi,

I created a project in x5 and upgraded to 7 about half-way through the project. I created a directory called dialogs from the Project Manager. I added my topics and content as usual in the directory.

For most of the help topics, the help launches properly from the application. Here's where it gets a little fuzzy. The only topics that do not launch from the application are the topics in the dialogs directory. The dialogs directory is not referenced in the TOC; the other help topics are. That's the only difference between them.

All the topics have proper Map IDs and are referenced accordingly in BSSCDefault.h, project.ali, and project.hhp so I'm really stumped as to what the problem could be. I do get an "Access Denied" error message when the application tries to launch a help topic from the dialogs directory. However, the dialogs directory is not protected in any way.

If anyone has any ideas as to what the problem could be, please don't hesitate to respond. Thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: Help does not launch for certain topics
          Pete Lees Level 2
          Hi, TechWriter77, and welcome,

It's quite interesting that you receive an "Access Denied" error message, because this isn't the error message that I receive when I try to reproduce your problem. (I get the message "This program cannot display the webpage".)

To eliminate the obvious possibilities, can you confirm the following?

• The topics in the dialogs folder have definitely been compiled into the help file. For example, you can find them by searching.

• There are no error messages recorded in the compilation log.

• You can reproduce the problem by using the test facilities in RoboHelp (or HTML Help Workshop) to fire the appropriate map numbers at the help file.

• Where the files in the dialogs folder are listed in the .hhp file and project.ali file, they are correctly prefixed with the string "dialogs\".

• There are no spaces or non-alphanumeric characters in the topic file names and topic IDs.

• The absolute path to your project folder does not contain an excessive number of characters (more than 256).

• Your BSSCDefault.h and project.ali files are in ANSI format rather than, say, UTF-8 format.
          Pete
          • 2. Help does not launch for certain topics
            TechWriter77 Level 1
            Hi Pete,

Thanks for your response. Here are the answers to your questions:

The topics in the dialogs folder have definitely been compiled into the help file. For example, you can find them by searching.
            - Yes, I did a search for the help topics and they are definitely in the compiled help file.

There are no error messages recorded in the compilation log.
            - I check the compilation log and found no error messages.

You can reproduce the problem by using the test facilities in RoboHelp (or HTML Help Workshop) to fire the appropriate map numbers at the help file.
            - I will definitely try this and report my results.

Where the files in the dialogs folder are listed in the .hhp file and project.ali file, they are correctly prefixed with the string "dialogs\".
            - Yes, the .ali and .hhp files are correctly prefixed with "dialogs\".

There are no spaces or non-alphanumeric characters in the topic file names and topic IDs.
            - Yes, there are no spaces or non-alphanumeric characters in both the topic file names and topic IDs.

The absolute path to your project folder does not contain an excessive number of characters (more than 256).
            - Yes, definitely less than 256.

Your BSSCDefault.h and project.ali files are in ANSI format rather than, say, UTF-8 format.
            - No the BSSCDefault.h and project.ali files are in UTF-8. I opened them both in notepad and saved them into ANSI format but at compile time, Robo7 changed it back to UTF-8.

Is there a way of preventing this from happening?
            • 3. Re: Help does not launch for certain topics
              Pete Lees Level 2
              Hi, again,

Now that I test this again, the UTF-8 encoding of the .h and .ali files may not cause the problem that you've described. However, you may find that the ID-to-file mapping that is first in the .ali file doesn't work, whether or not it includes the "dialogs\" prefix. I believe this is a bug in RoboHelp 7, which several other users have reported to Adobe. See "1st row of ALI-file does not work".

Is it possible that the application is passing topic file names rather than map numbers to the help file? If that were the case, it would be necessary to include the "dialogs/" string in the context help calls in order to access the topics in the dialogs folder. So, a typical HTML Help API call would look like this:

HtmlHelp(GetDesktopWindow, "c:\YourHelpFile.chm::/ dialogs/properties_dialog.htm", HH_DISPLAY_TOPIC, 0);

Alternatively, you could just move the topics in the dialog folder up a level to the root folder of the help project. Then the API call would become:

HtmlHelp(GetDesktopWindow, "c:\YourHelpFile.chm::/properties_dialog.htm", HH_DISPLAY_TOPIC, 0);

Pete
              • 4. Re: Help does not launch for certain topics
                TechWriter77 Level 1
                Hi Pete,

Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it!

This problem has now been resolved. It turns out it wasn't an issue with RoboHelp 7 at all but rather with the location of the Javascript that calls the help file. It was being called from a network path when it should have been installed and called locally.

So, I'm off the hook! :) Thanks again.