11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2012 3:42 PM by the_wine_snob

video formats vob and avi not working

psppremiere Level 1

I am preparing to upgrade by OS harddrive.  I installed easeUS imaging software, copied an image to another back up harddrive.  Since then I have not been able to work with my video projects in PE9 because the videos are "not found", they are all vob or avi.  No problems with them before the image transfer.  Any help?  I have not replaced the hardrive yet.

• 1. Re: video formats vob and avi not working
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You don't say what OS you're upgrading from or to, but different operating systems use different file structures and store things in different places.

You also don't say if your media files are on your C drive or on a second or external drive, but that could make a difference to.

Can you manually locate your project and media files?

Are you saying you imaged your C drive to another drive and then upgraded your C drive to a new operating system and you're wondering why you can't connect to the files on your imaged drive?

It's just not clear what you're asking. But if you can locate your project and media files, you can connect to them. Assuming you installed Premiere Elements onto your new C drive. (That's INSTALLED. Not just imaged over.)

• 2. Re: video formats vob and avi not working
            psppremiere Level 1

here goes..Windows Visa

my m

I can locate all the media files

they are on a seperate drive not on my c drive

but PE9 is on my C drive

I have not upgrade the c drive yet.  I am upgrading to more memory not another OS

I did re-install PE9....it uninstalled it and then reinstalled it on c drive

hope this helps with your q's

• 3. Re: video formats vob and avi not working
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Were your Source Files on your C:\, or elsewhere on your system?

If on your C:\, were they included in your disc image, and then restored by the imaging software?

I would also do a Search of your entire system for .VOB and .AVI, to see if they are prehaps in another folder.

Good luck, and please let us know a little more.

Hunt

• 4. Re: video formats vob and avi not working
                psppremiere Level 1

guess im not sure what source files are exactly.  PE9 is installed in my c drive and all video downloads and all my work is stored on a serperate hard drive that was not connected when I did the disc image of my c drive.  I did the reinstallation of PE9 after the disc image.  I will do a search as suggested and maybe come up with something. any other suggestions would be helpful.  thank you

• 5. Re: video formats vob and avi not working
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

The Source Files are your media files, i.e. the VOB's (with the MPEG-2 files inside), and the AVI's.

OK, those VOB's and AVI's were on another HDD. Has that HDD's drive letter remained the same?

In the PREL (Project file), all Assets, that are Imported into a Project, are linked via absolute Paths, so any change, such as a drive letter, a folder, or the files' names, will "break" the link, and PrE will not be able to find them.

When one Opens a Project, that has Assets Imported into it, but cannot find those Asset files, it should yield a dialog screen, asking "Where is file ______ ?" and offer to help you navigate to the new location. There is also a Finder, that can be very useful.

When one navigates to the first "missing file," then PrE will look in that folder, and also link to all other Assets from that Project. If one has Assets in sub-folders, one must go through the process of linking to the first "missing file" in each sub-folder.

Is PrE asking you, "Where is file _____ ?"

I am assuming that it is only the VOB's and AVI's, that are "missing." Is that correct, or are the .PREL files missing?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: video formats vob and avi not working
                    psppremiere Level 1

the HDD letter was changed~clearly I should have left the HDD connected when I did the image.  it used this HDD letter for the partition it needed.  this really stinks.  I have went back to my "restore point" that I created before the disc image software installation, but it didn't change/undo the disc image

the vob's and the avi's are the only things missings, the prel's are intact

When I locate the file ( I locate it in the new HDD letter) it's telling me this file is not supported or the proper codec is not installed.

• 7. Re: video formats vob and avi not working
                      psppremiere Level 1

I can find th files and they play fine in my media player, but cannot "locate" them inside of PE9. Technically the files are not missing, they just won't play inside PE.  the current project was created after the disc image and the vob files were downloaded after the fact also.  I don't understand the prob if they have been "lost"

• 8. Re: video formats vob and avi not working
                        psppremiere Level 1

I reinstalled PE9...I have discovered that if I copy the vob or avi files that I downloaded today,to my c drive then I can import into PE9 with no problems.  now to figure out how to get my older files working

• 9. Re: video formats vob and avi not working
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, it sounds like your disc Image for the new OS HDD, did NOT get the full set of installed CODEC's. Those are installed at the system level, and then PrE, and other editing programs, can use them. I have read of several users, who tried to use a HDD Image to migrate the OS to a new HDD, and had similar happen.

Depending on the exact CODEC, one might need to download and install them separately, say for the MS DV CODEC, which should be available from MS, and should be installed, when one installs the OS, or via a Repair Install of PrE, which should install any missing PrE MainConcept CODEC's, like the MainConcept MPEG-2 CODEC. I advise against installing any CODEC "pack," as many will really mess up one's system. I ONLY go to the source, even if commercial vs free, and install ONLY the CODEC's that I need, when I need them.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: video formats vob and avi not working
                            psppremiere Level 1

thank you, I'll give it a try and let you know. Where am I going to find Repair Install?

• 11. Re: video formats vob and avi not working
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

If one inserts the PrE installation media into a multi-drive, with the program installed, that option should present itself, along with Uninstall. Not sure about a download install, but others will likely be able to help you out there.

Good luck,

Hunt