8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2012 12:27 PM by the_wine_snob

custom menus?

metro-citymusic

Hi, I just purchased the essential elements 10 to create movies.  I would like to create a custom template with a still photo background with menu bottons that are attached to the menu markers.  I tried to adapt the pre existing templates, but they don't do what I want.  Help? from a beginner

• 1. Re: custom menus?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Do you have Photoshop Elements, or better yet, Photoshop?

If you have Photoshop, you can create almost anything that you wish, BUT you have to follow the exact Layer Set naming conventions and structure, as exist in the Library Menu Sets. Note the term, "Menu Set," as PrE uses the Main Menu, and the Scene Selection Menu.

If you have Photoshop Elements, you will be a bit more limited, as you cannot create Layer Sets, but can edit them. In that case, and again, following those exact naming conventions and structure, you could completely edit one of the existing Menu Sets.

You also might find a Menu Set, that is more to your liking, at Muvipix.com. The Menu Sets are for subscribers, but I believe that they can be purchased separately. However, it does not take too many purchased downloads, to pay for a subscription.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: custom menus?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

To get an idea of what goes into a PrE Menu Set, follow the link in this ARTICLE to a discussion in the Photoshop Forum.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: custom menus?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I also include step by step instructions for doing so in my combined Photoshop Elements/Premiere Elements books.

http://Muvipix.com/pe10.php

• 4. Re: custom menus?
                metro-citymusic Level 1

Can I make them without photoshop?  I just have the Adobe premiere elements 10.  I'm thinking of purchasing your book for that program if it explains how to without photoshop.

Can you let me know?

Thanks,

• 5. Re: custom menus?
                  metro-citymusic Level 1

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your email.  I purchased the PR E 10 online and am not sure if I got all the menu sets.  The ones there, I tried to manipulate (like substitute my background photo, but keep buttons/links), but couldn't find one that would let me load the whole picture in for the background.  Any suggestions?

Elizabeth (aka metrocitymusic)

• 6. Re: custom menus?
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You can work to a certain extent with Photoshop Elements. But you need either it or Photoshop to create custom menu templates.

• 7. Re: custom menus?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Elizabeth,

When you downloaded the file, after purchase, did you get two files, or only one? If only one, then you still have another fiile to download and install (thiink it will be a .7z file, which is archived with the 7ZIP function). The second file has a lot more Additional Functional Content, such as Menu Sets, Title Templates, etc..

As Steve points out, PS is required for full custom Menu Set creation, as it can produce Layer Sets (the structure of the Buttons in the PSD file). PSElements can edit those (so you could modify existing Menu Set Templates), but is limited on the actual creation of them.

Now, there might be other Image Editor programs available, but they MUST be able to work in Photoshop's PSD format, and they MUST be able to at least handle Photoshop's Layer Sets (creation, like with PS is a real added benefit). You might want to look into GIMP, a free Image Editor. Many refer to it as a "poor man's Photoshop," so it is popular, and especially as it is free. Since I have had PS from the day it was released, I have not even looked at GIMP in many, many years. Way back when, I found it to have a very clunky interface, but that was long ago, and I feel that it has probably matured greatly. I just do not know about the current version's handling of Layer Sets.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: custom menus?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Here are some Additional Functional Content for PrE 10: http://www.adobe.com/special/premiereel/downloads/

Not 100% sure if that is in addition to the Additional Functional Content, that comes with PrE. If you only downloaded one file (the program file, with very limited Functional Content), go to the download link that you used, and look for the additional file.

Good luck,

Hunt