21 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2012 1:06 PM by Peter Spier

Serious noob question

oplopanax1976

Sorry, but I've been trying to accomplish a task that seems like it should be so simple, but is causing me serious distress. All I want to do is take text from a Word document, and paste it into a thing to be able to save it as a PDF in a way that will make it so I can print double-sided 8 1/2 x 11 pages that I can fold in half to make a little booklet. I finally got InDesign, and when I try to paste the several pages of text into a new document, it all only pastes it on one page. I don't understand why it would do this. Even when I set it to have more than one page, all the pages stay blank besides the first one. What the heck do I do?

• 1. Re: Serious noob question
          markerline Level 4

InDesign is different than word in that it does not work with a string of contiguous text in the same way.  It works with Text Areas or Text Boxes and you have to manually chain these together for each page.  The advantage of this is that you have control over your layout in situations such as designing magazines and newsletters as well as books that do not flow text in a continuous boring fashion.  There should be a plus sign at the lower right corner of your text box.  Click it, navigate to the second page, and place the cursor and click onto the second page.  If you keep getting plus signs you can continue this process until all of the text is copied.

--------

Note to all ID users who have a better solution.  I learned PageMaker in high school and am not too ID savvy nor PageMaker savvy.  I switched over to CorelDraw to do layout in high school.  I now use Illustratory primarily for 2D work.  In any case if there is a more automatic way of placing text, please answer this thread.

• 2. Re: Serious noob question
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Well, yes, there is a much better way. Instead of copy/paste, use File > Place... and import the whole doc in one go ( and show import options to let you get the formatting you want).

ID does not require a frame before placing text, though you can use one if you like (click the loaded cursor in the open area of any empty frame). With no frame, you have a choice of behaviors: Click and release and ID will draw a frame from the point where you click down to the bottom margin and as wide as the margins or column guides surrounding the point where you click, or click and drag to define a frame.

If you hold the Shift key when you click, ID will add new frames and pages as required to get all of the text onto a page (if youused a master frame, the new text will also use master frames, otherwise it will fill guides on subsequent columns or pages).

• 3. Re: Serious noob question
              markerline Level 4

Thanks for that Mr. Spier.  I learned something new about a piece of software that I don't use often but will become very instrumental in the future to me.

• 4. Re: Serious noob question
                [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

You would be better off trying to do this with Word. Print to PDF and use Acrobat, or something.

Attempting to use InDesign as a "page layout" program, rather than the typesetting software it is, only leads to frustration. Doing so while not even knowing the program is a disaster waiting for a catastrophe. There is no way you can get your Word document "the very same" into InDesign to begin with (copying and pasting is also an extremely bad way to begin with).

• 5. Re: Serious noob question

Say what??????????????

I agree that without some training the OP is not going to have a smooth time of it, but I think ID is far better suited to making booklets than Word (in fact, I have to help convert the Word-composed letterhalf directory of a local charitable organization into a printable PDF for the local copy shop next week, and I'll do it with ID).

• 6. Re: Serious noob question
                    Michael Gianino Level 4

[Jongware] wrote:

Attempting to use InDesign as a "page layout" program, rather than the typesetting software it is…

I'm not sure I understand your point, unless maybe you mis-typed. I always thought of InDesign as a page layout program, and typesetting as either a component of page layout, or another term for basically the same process (Miss Jones, can you typeset my rough draft of this document for me?). Maybe it's a distinction without a difference, but I would be grateful to hear your thoughts.

• 7. Re: Serious noob question
                      sssuuusssaaannn Level 1

I used ID for several user guides with much better and more predictable

results than Word would have offered.  I enjoyed the ability to use

anchored graphic frames as place holders, and knowing that the docs would

open each time looking exactly as I had left them, was quite a relief.

Also, I taught myself the program, with lots of help from the forum

experts.  It is possible, though if there's a course nearby, you should

grab it to prevent a lot of frustration.

• 8. Re: Serious noob question
                        BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I’m pretty sure he meant using Word, not InDesign….in fact, I’d bet on it.

Bob

• 9. Re: Serious noob question

Bob Levine wrote:

I’m pretty sure he meant using Word, not InDesign….in fact, I’d bet on it.

That doesn't make a lot of sense in the context of first telling the OP to leave it in Word, either.

My suspicion is that Jongware was being a little bit more sarcastic than usual, and that it didn't come through quite the way he intended here.

• 10. Re: Serious noob question
                            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Perhaps…or maybe I should stop posting before I finish my coffee.

Bob

• 11. Re: Serious noob question
                              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Jus' tryin' to help -- it seems me pointing you away from using InDesign is not appreciated.

Three easy steps that will make a booklet from your Word document (and, Bob and Peter, using InDesign! Yeah!!):

1. Print your Word document to PDF.

2. Place PDF into an InDesign document of the same page size, one page per PDF page.

3. Print to Booklet.

My reason for this exact advice is that InDesign does not "import" a Word document as one would think -- you do not, not, not get a copy of the original document to work further with. InDesign only imports the plain text with some of its formatting, some of the graphics, someof the tables, and some (very few) of the other Word features, such as footnotes and endnotes. You get a plain listing of the original text, which you have to manually re-format from the very beginning to get something close to the original file. Even holding down the shift key wile placing will not solve this.

• 12. Re: Serious noob question

OK, that advice I can agree with, if the intent is to get the same crappy look as you have in word.

I also recommend the script at InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Zanelli Releases MultiPageImporter for Importing both PDF and INDD Files for getting the Word-generated PDF pages into ID (That's probably what I'll be doing myself next week). From there, making the booklet is fairly easy.

• 13. Re: Serious noob question
                                  oplopanax1976 Level 1

wow, thanks for all the responses. holding down the shift key got the full text pasted into the pages. what a weird thing. so now, i have two more questions. how can i make sure that when i print the document, it will print the pages double-sided, and arranged in the order that would make it so when i fold twelve 8 1/2 x 11 sheets of paper in half they'll be in the right order to be a booklet? as well, i have a lot of block text, you know, where you have a quote that is longer than three lines, so is done in block text, separate from the regular text, with larger margins on either side? is there a trick to making that happen? thanks!

• 14. Re: Serious noob question

To make your booklet, use File > Print Booklet... and set up as two-up saddle-stitch.

But you REALLY need to do some training before you go much further. As you've probably already figured out, ID is a very complex, and not necessarily intuitive, program meant for professional layout and typesetting, and it is expected that you know a bit about printing and typesetting before you start to use the program. Two good places to start, besides the help files, are Sandee Cohen's Visual Quickstart Guide to InDesign, and the training videos at Lynda.com. You might also find useful information on AdobeTV, and at theIndesigner.com.

Your block quotes should have a paragraph style defined and applied. Part of that style can be left and or right indents for the entire paragraph, as well as space before or after the paragraph to set it out.

1 person found this helpful
                                    • 15. Re: Serious noob question
                                      oplopanax1976 Level 1

oh, and now i can't figure out how to insert an image into the text. sorry for all the basic questions.

• 16. Re: Serious noob question
                                        oplopanax1976 Level 1

thanks peter. will i be able to save it as a PDF before I do that print protocol? i'll be printing from a different computer than the one that has InDesign installed on it.

• 17. Re: Serious noob question

oplopanax1976 wrote:

thanks peter. will i be able to save it as a PDF before I do that print protocol? i'll be printing from a different computer than the one that has InDesign installed on it.

That depends. Mac or Windows? Which version? Do you have the whole Creative Suite, including Acrobat Pro, or just InDesign?

Images are imported the same way as text, File > Place...  They can be free-floating, or anchored inline or anchored in a custom position. If you have an active text cursory when you use the place command, they will be inlines.

• 18. Re: Serious noob question
                                            oplopanax1976 Level 1

Mac. And I don't have all the extra stuff, I just downloaded the free trial of InDesign.

• 19. Re: Serious noob question

While not impossible to make an imposed PDF on Mac without Acrobat, it's not nearly as straightforward as doing so on Windows or Mac Leopard and earlier if you do have Acrobat. It involves running a script to make an imposed copy of the document, then exporting that to PDF. I'm a little reluctant to point you at scripts that do this. You are already in over your head.

• 20. Re: Serious noob question
                                                oplopanax1976 Level 1

am i wrong in thinking that Acrobat is the same as Adobe Reader, which is free and easy to download?

• 21. Re: Serious noob question

Yes, it is not the same, nor will it help you a lot to download the trial if you are running Snow Leopard or later (it could help, but the process of distilling PDF from a file is even more complex than the scripting solution).