32 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2012 11:32 PM by Alan Craven

Anyone using Areca 1213-4i RAID controller?

alexdejesus Level 1

I have the i7-2600K and the ASUS P8P67 Pro motherboard and still having a heck of a time getting good performance from my drives. Considering a 3rd party RAID controller. Currently have two RAID 0 (2 disks each SATA 6G) internally. One for capture storage and the other for previews/pagefile. One concern is the Matrox MX02 Mini is taking up the only available PCIe slot. And, is $360 a decent price?

• 1. Re: Anyone using Areca 1213-4i RAID controller?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

First of all, I can't find the 1213-4i. I see the 1210, 1220, 1231, 1261 etc.

A couple of drawbacks with the 12xx cards. It uses an older IOP33x processor, has only 256 MB cache, only supports SATA 300 and not SATA 600 and requires a PCIe slot, which reduces the speed of your video card even further. Your mobo has only 16 PCIe lanes available, the Matrox uses 1 lane, your video card uses 8 lanes currently instead of 16 lanes without the Matrox, and by adding the Areca will run only on 4 lanes. This is the major obstacle of the 1155 platform, not enough PCIe lanes, and testing has shown that the performance degradation of using only 8 lanes for the video card instead of 16 results in around 10 - 15% performance loss when using the MPEG2-DVD test in our benchmark. You can avoid further performance loss by removing the Matrox and adding the Areca, since then both cards can use 8 lanes.

• 2. Re: Anyone using Areca 1213-4i RAID controller?
            alexdejesus Level 1

The 1213 is new just released in January. I had planned on getting rid of the Matrox. But, you are saying that a RAID controller would also impede the lanes used by the video card.

Please link me to the steps for configuring RAID using mobo controller. I don't think mine is set up correctly. Someone told me it is a software raid, not hardware.

• 3. Re: Anyone using Areca 1213-4i RAID controller?
              Richard M Knight Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Does your board have the Intel raid controller? If it does you have to enable it in the BIOS and the easiest way to set it up is using the Intel Matrix Storage Controller utility found on your MB disc or from the Intel website.

Richard Knight

• 4. Re: Anyone using Areca 1213-4i RAID controller?
                RjL190365 Level 4

Richard,

The onboard Intel controller is not good in RAID 5: The performance degradation with that software RAID 5 is quite severe (at least two to three times slower than a single disk, and sometimes five or six times slower than the single disk) in the Disk I/O test in the PPBM5 benchmark. The onboard Intel controller is really only good in RAID 0 ("aid0"), RAID 1 or RAID 10.

• 5. Re: Anyone using Areca 1213-4i RAID controller?
                  Alan Craven Level 4

Having just set up a system with two RAID 0 arrays, one on the Intel X79 controller, the other on an on-board Marvell 88SE9172 controller, it seems to me that neither is up to much.  The PPBM5 disk in/out test takes virtually the same time on either array - 460 seconds.

This has made me realise how the PPBM5 rank order is skewed in favour of RAID 5 arrays on external controllers, as anything less takes a disproportionate time on the disk in/out test.  The other tests are far less affected by inferior hardware.

• 6. Re: Anyone using Areca 1213-4i RAID controller?
                    alexdejesus Level 1

I'm okay with Raid 0 if I can back up to one of my external drives. I'm just confused about the software/hardware issue. Yes, I do have the Intel storage controller as well Marvell. But I really don't know what I'm doing.

• 7. Re: Anyone using Areca 1213-4i RAID controller?
                      RjL190365 Level 4

Alan,

Those extremely long disk I/O times indicate that you may have a problem with proper tuning. For example, you might have far too many background processes going on in your system.

By the way, with my particular i7-2600K main rig with the P8P67 Pro motherboard, I consistently got just under 60 seconds in the Disk I/O test with one two-disk RAID 0 array (or one of the arrayed pairs) connected to the onboard Intel SATA controller. The overall total time in CS5.5 of around 230-ish seconds is clearly caused by my system's particular GTX 470, which resulted in a time of around 110-ish seconds in the MPEG-2 DVD test.

• 8. Re: Anyone using Areca 1213-4i RAID controller?
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Alan,

I agree with Randall. Those results are way off. Did you turn off indexing and compression on all of your disk volumes? Did you turn off all anti-somthing stuff? With 2 x raid0 you should be in the 60's range.

• 9. Re: Anyone using Areca 1213-4i RAID controller?
                          RjL190365 Level 4

Harm,

In addition to what I stated above, even my budget i5-2400 auxiliary rig produces a result of around 80 seconds in the Disk I/O test in PPBM5. And that's with only 8GB of RAM installed in that system. I could shave some more time off of the MPEG-2 DVD result on that system by upgrading the total system RAM from 8GB to 16GB since the 153-second time is par for a non-Ti GTX 560 on an i5-2xxx system with such a relatively low amount of system RAM.

• 10. Re: Anyone using Areca 1213-4i RAID controller?
                            alexdejesus Level 1

So, in the BIOS settings, what are the steps for RAID using Intel onboard controller? I thought that's what I had done, but it seems it is only a software RAID setup. And is there a special setting for the SSD system drive?

• 11. Re: Anyone using Areca 1213-4i RAID controller?
                              RjL190365 Level 4

SSDs that are not in a RAID array are automatically run in AHCI mode with the Intel controller set to RAID.

• 12. Re: Anyone using Areca 1213-4i RAID controller?
                                alexdejesus Level 1

When I set SSD to AHCI in the BIOS (didn't happen automatically), and booted the system did not recognize the RAID previously set up. It is now set to RAID mode. 

Obviously did something wrong to start out with. Want to clear out the drives and start fresh.

• 13. Re: Anyone using Areca 1213-4i RAID controller?
                                  Alan Craven Level 4

Randall, Harm,

I have turned off everything On Bill Gehrke's list, plus everything on the old Edius list, plus some others on the Black Viper list.  The only downside from Harm's viewpoint is the Matrox MXO2 that is installed, but this is not used in PPBM5, so can it still slow things down as is alleged?

On the other two tests the system matches the first X79 system in your chart.

One thing puzzles me greatly about PPBM5 - everyone knows that you need to have two, or better three disks in addition to your OSD drive, yet PPBM5 has project file, assets, Preview files, media cache, and exports all on the same drive?  Or have I completely mis-understood the instructions?

My own current project has project file on a single drive (D), captured video on the Intel RAID 0 (E), Media Cache and preview files on the Marvell RAID 0 (F) and export files on a single drive G.  The two AIDs are backed up to an external eSATA drive.

The other thing that puzzles me is the set up of the RAID.  I enabled the RAID in BIOS, switching from the default ACHI, but when I arrived in Windows, it seemed that I still had to format the drive.  This makes me suspect that I actually have a software RAID, rather than the intended Intel/Marvell controller RAID.

I think that this paragraph touches on where Percoplus is coming from in post 10.

Could you enlighten us both here, please?  My feeling is that setting up the RAID in BIOS should be it, one should not have to format the drives in Windows.

Percoplus,

I hope you do not feel that I have Hijacked your thread - I think we are both in the same difficulty here.

• 14. Re: Anyone using Areca 1213-4i RAID controller?
                                    Alan Craven Level 4

I have just checked the Marvell Storage Utility.  the two drives are not shown as a virtual disk.  I think that both my supposed AIDs are actually just single volumes spanning the two disks, which explains their poor performance.  This is the situation described by RjL in post 11.

Percoplus,

I have gained more insight into this by using Google, which found me guides to setting up RAID on both the Intel and the Marvell controllers.

Intel : http://ftp://asrock.cn/manual/raid/H67M-GE/IntelRapidStorage/English.pdf

Marvell : http://ftp://asrock.cn/manual/raid/X79%20Extreme9/MarvellSATA3/English.pdf

My mistake asppears to have been to format the RAID arrays in Windows Disk Manager rather than  initialising the array.  I think this answers your queries in posts 10 and 12.

With luck Harm , RjL, or someone else who knows what they are doing will come along and confirm  my suspicions.  At least I have my external backup, so that I can, like you, start afresh.

• 15. Re: Anyone using Areca 1213-4i RAID controller?
                                      alexdejesus Level 1

Thanks for all the input. I'm trying to monitor this thread in between shoots today. I'll look this over.

• 16. Re: Anyone using Areca 1213-4i RAID controller?
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

The links you provided do not work.

Setting up a raid means you have to define the raid configuration in the BIOS first. Then after starting up Windows, you have to go to disk manager and format the disk. Take note of the following article too: Adobe Forums: How to access more than 2 TB of disk...

• 17. Re: Anyone using Areca 1213-4i RAID controller?
                                          Alan Craven Level 4

Harm,

I discovered the links problem too late, and of course I cannot edit. The initial http:// should not be there, it was added automatically by the forum software.

The process you describe is what I did.  In the Intel RST guide it says that, in Disk Management you will be asked to initialise the disk before you can access it.  Having clicked OK, you should R click  on Disk ) and click "New Simple Volume" and then follow the instructions in the wizard.  That is not what I did.

Thanks for the help.

• 18. Re: Anyone using Areca 1213-4i RAID controller?
                                            alexdejesus Level 1

I setup the RAIDs 0 using the Rapid Storage Manager. Now the the computer will not boot. I assume it's because I had thepagefile on one of the drives that is now in RAID. I probably needed to move the pagefile to system drive temporarily. I switched from RAID to AHCI setting and back to RAID in the BIOS, Still can't get it to boot.

Startup Repair on the Windows 7 disk did not fix anything, so I am reinstalling Windows clean.

• 19. Re: Anyone using Areca 1213-4i RAID controller?
                                              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Alan Craven wrote:

I have turned off everything On Bill Gehrke's list, plus everything on the old Edius list, plus some others on the Black Viper list.  The only downside from Harm's viewpoint is the Matrox MXO2 that is installed, but this is not used in PPBM5, so can it still slow things down as is alleged?

Yes, do not know why but we have seen the effects from many users.

One thing puzzles me greatly about PPBM5 - everyone knows that you need to have two, or better three disks in addition to your OSD drive, yet PPBM5 has project file, assets, Preview files, media cache, and exports all on the same drive?  Or have I completely mis-understood the instructions?

Early PPBM test we did have it set up to allow some flexibilty in PPBM file locations, this caused major confusion from users so we simplified it to having all files in one location.   If you put all the files on the fastest disk or array it is a faster result than say a RAID project disk and exporting to a single disk drive.  If you really want to use a seperate drive or array you can CUT the output files and Paste them to the project location to make the script work.  Notice I said CUT as copy will end up changing the file created/modified times and will not work.

Could you enlighten us both here, please?  My feeling is that setting up the RAID in BIOS should be it, one should not have to format the drives in Windows

Not true.you have to format after setting up in the BIOS

Also be aware that you cannot easily go into the BIOS and switch back and forth between IDE, ACHI and RAID after installing the OS

1 person found this helpful
                                              • 20. Re: Anyone using Areca 1213-4i RAID controller?
                                                Alan Craven Level 4

Thanks Bill, for that. 

I can  see the point in having a standard arrangement of the files. 

I had discovered from the User Guides that I found, that you still had to format the volume.  I set the Intel controller, and one of the three Marvell controllers to RAID from the default AHCI before I started installing Windows.  I had read about the switch back and forth problem before I started the assembly.  There is a Microsoft document which describes how to extricate yourself from the non-booting system produced by changing the mode setting - KB922976

I finally located a User Guide for Intel RST on their website.  This warns that you must not use the BIOS method to create RAID volumes after the OS is loaded.  You MUST use the RST software in Windows.  I created my AID 0 volume AFTER installing the OS on a SSD drive and getting Windows set up.  Unfortunately, not knowing any better, I created it using the BIOS.

I have just finished deleting the AID 0 in the BIOS, and have re-created it using the Intel instructions, in Windows.  I am now copying across my backup of the volume.  Then I shall try again.

• 21. Re: Anyone using Areca 1213-4i RAID controller?
                                                  alexdejesus Level 1

So, now Intel Storage Manager is set up with the 2 RAID 0s. Each RAID now appears as single large drives. I suppose they need to be formatted, but how? Using what, the Windows disk manager? What kind of 'volume' should it be? Choices are 'simple' 'spanned' striped' 'mirrored'

• 23. Re: Anyone using Areca 1213-4i RAID controller?
                                                    RjL190365 Level 4

As Bill stated, "Simple". Any other choice of volume will completely defeat the Intel firmware raid, forcing the use of Microsoft's software RAID instead.

• 24. Re: Anyone using Areca 1213-4i RAID controller?
                                                      Alan Craven Level 4

You need to read the Intel Rapid Storage Technology User Guide, which will tell you all you need to know, and do.

As would the ASrock Intel guide I mentioned in post 14.

It is a great pity that the average Motherboard user guide goes no further than creating thew array in BIOS, leaving those who are not experts to flounder - myself included.

• 25. Re: Anyone using Areca 1213-4i RAID controller?
                                                        alexdejesus Level 1

02/28/2012 03:00:30 PM : Queue Resumed

- Source File: C:\Users\Alex\AppData\Local\Temp\20120224 Sara DD_8.prproj
                                                        - Output File: \\IX2-200-THUBCE\Movies\YouTube Videos\20120224 Sara\Cut 5.mp4
                                                        - Preset Used: My YouTube Widescreen HD
                                                        - Video: NTSC, 1280x720, 29.97 fps, Progressive
                                                        - Audio: AAC, 256 kbps, 48 kHz, Stereo
                                                        - Bitrate: VBR, 2 Pass, Target 8.00, Max 9.00 Mbps
                                                        - Encoding Time: 00:34:37
                                                        02/28/2012 03:35:08 PM : File Successfully Encoded

02/28/2012 03:35:08 PM : Queue Stopped

This 7 1/2 minute video took 35 minutes to encode. One single layer HDV track and a title layer. No effects.

I did get the two RAIDs setup. A program called HDTune Pro verified an avg transfer rate well over 200 MB/sec.

Capture/Projects Drive:

HD Tune Pro: Intel   Raid 0 Volume Benchmark

Test capacity: full

Read transfer rate
                                                        Transfer Rate Minimum : 123.3 MB/s
                                                        Transfer Rate Maximum : 268.2 MB/s
                                                        Transfer Rate Average : 214.9 MB/s
                                                        Access Time           : 16.7 ms
                                                        Burst Rate            : 4499.6 MB/s
                                                        CPU Usage             : 2.4%

Preview/pagefile Drive:

HD Tune Pro: Intel   Raid 0 Volume Benchmark

Test capacity: full

Read transfer rate
                                                        Transfer Rate Minimum : 116.6 MB/s
                                                        Transfer Rate Maximum : 251.2 MB/s
                                                        Transfer Rate Average : 197.7 MB/s
                                                        Access Time           : 16.0 ms
                                                        Burst Rate            : 4470.5 MB/s
                                                        CPU Usage             : 2.9%

Not sure what more I can do to speed things up. Is there another H264 ecoder out there that is reasonably priced? My Matrox MX02 box does not have the MAX feature, and I don't want to spend $800 for another one.

• 26. Re: Anyone using Areca 1213-4i RAID controller?

Have you run our PPBM5 benchmark?  This will tell us where your weak performance is located.  Encoding is not very disk dependent

• 27. Re: Anyone using Areca 1213-4i RAID controller?
                                                            alexdejesus Level 1

I just performed the benchmark and submitted results. Look for 'Wildfire.' I did it twice. First with the Matrox MX02 Mini installed, and again with it removed. Results are the same except for the 'Disk I/O' test. With Matrox: 451, without Matrox: 73.

• 28. Re: Anyone using Areca 1213-4i RAID controller?

The only thing additional that you could now do is overclock.  Harm did enter you Matrox score and, I am sure he will have the other one in the next day or so ( I found out it is Tax time in the  Netherlands at this time of year as t is here also). 

The non-Matrox score will be about 200 rank since that total score is 271.  If you look at the database and filter on Version 5.5 and then filter for i7-26xx processors you will be able to see that your total of 271 is quite good for that processor if it is not overclocked.

• 29. Re: Anyone using Areca 1213-4i RAID controller?
                                                                alexdejesus Level 1

I see that, thanks. My non-Matrox entry is listed as 'Alex-ASUS' I was looking for 'Wildfire' I see the 'Wildfire + MX02'

I will contact Matrox to find out why their box is affecting I/O results. Maybe a bad unit or software? I can't uninstall it yet because I have open projects using some of their effects, etc.

I will have to read up on how to overclock. Thanks

• 30. Re: Anyone using Areca 1213-4i RAID controller?
                                                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Matrox has a disastrous effect on the disk I/O test, as shown by every user of the Matrox MXO2. I have no idea what causes it, but it is a clear Matrox problem.

• 31. Re: Anyone using Areca 1213-4i RAID controller?
                                                                    Steve H. Allen

What is "Bill Gehrke's list"?