9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2014 11:40 AM by Videoboy56 RSS

keyframes for scale and position will randomly be forgotten by Premiere

teeravuss Community Member

This is really frustrating, and I'm wondering if anyone else out there has this problem. I work in Premiere CS 5.5 at work (on a Mac) and at home (on a PC). I will often slowly zoom in a shot by setting a keyframe at the beginning and ending of the clip, increasing the scale and adjusting position so that we get that slow zoom effect.

The problem I find is that way too often Premiere will "forget" the first keyframe parameters. For example. I'm looking at a clip right now with the last scale keyframe at 137, and the first keyframe at 137. Initially, the first keyframe was 100, but at SOME point, Premiere looses that information.

This seems to happen more with nested clips.

So does anyone else ever have this issue? Since it occurs on two different OS's, it can't be computer specific.  As you can appreciate, rendering a sequence only to find out after the fact that keyframe data was lost is beyond annoying.

• 1. Re: keyframes for scale and position will randomly be forgotten by Premiere
          Andrey V Community Member

I am not sure if it is loosing the settings but, when you entering value you have to select the keyframe so the color of it changes to yellow and then change the settings. The way I would try to do it is to set keyframes first and set the target value first then set the start up value.

I have seen problem when premeire does not playback the scale keyframes but it is always exporting them.

• 2. Re: keyframes for scale and position will randomly be forgotten by Premiere
            J. Simon Community Member

I've never seen PP "forget" a keyframe.

What I have seen is operator error.  You change the value at the beginning of the clip, thinking you have a keyframe there but without actually setting a keyframe.  Then you move to the end, set the keyframe and change it again.  Of course the whole clip will now show that same value because you forgot to actually set the first keyframe.

• 3. Re: keyframes for scale and position will randomly be forgotten by Premiere
              Stephen_Spider Community Member

Working with premiere for 12 years on a multitude of systems I've never seen this happen. Can you describe your process for making a keyframe?

Also, are you resizing video clips above 100%?  That is a recipe for degrading your footage.

• 4. Re: keyframes for scale and position will randomly be forgotten by Premiere
                the_wine_snob Community Member

As with the reports by others, I have never had such issues, unless I did something wrong, with my Keyframing.

Though it is a bit redundant, I have a particular workflow for Keyframing. First, I add a Keyframe at the first Frame of a Clip, and check the settings. This is really redundant, as I then add my second Keyframe, at that same setting, provided that i will then Keyframe my Effect FROM that point. Next, I add the Keyframe, where the change in attributes will reach the maximum for that section. Other Keyframes are added, as necessary, and finally, even if it mirrors the settings of the "next to last Keyframe," I add one last one, on the last Frame, and check its attributes.

That usually amounts to two "extra" Keyframes, but they will have my desired attributes, and are used for me to check everything.

Also, expand the Keyframe Effects Control Panel, horizontally, so you can see if there are errant Keyframes, that were accidentally added.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: keyframes for scale and position will randomly be forgotten by Premiere
                  teeravuss Community Member

My process for making a keyframe (for motion keyframing in particular) is...

I select the clip, go into the effect controls panel and expand the Motion effect. I go to the beginning of the clip and then click toggle animation (clicking the stopwatch icon) for position and scale. This sets my first keyframes. I then go to the point where I want the "zooming" to end. I either adjust the scale/position in the effect controls panel or do it in the program monitor. If the shot requires a smooth ease-out/ease-in motion, I'll change the first keyframes from linear to ease-out and the second keyframes to ease-in (by selecting them, right clicking, and changing the temporal interpolation). I really wish this was a user error (ie, something I'm doing wrong). But the process is pretty cut and dry, so that leaves a big question mark in my mind.

As far as footage degradation... I'm well aware that resizing video or images beyond their actual size causes degradation. However, the output is smaller than the project settings, giving me a little wiggle room for such effects.

• 6. Re: keyframes for scale and position will randomly be forgotten by Premiere
                    hanzini

This is happening to me as well, PPcs5.5. It happened before and I may have stumbled into how to fix it. My issue was that the zooms and motion changes seemed to be happening randomly and not at the keyframes I assigned. When I looked at it more closely it wasn't random, it just wasn't timed right, it was off a few seconds. When I removed all speed keyframes (Tim Remapping) even if it said 100% the whole timeline, I still removed all keyframes by unselecting the little stopwatch underneath, then it straightened out. Somehow the time remapping mixed it up.

• 7. Re: keyframes for scale and position will randomly be forgotten by Premiere
                      JRodZ1 Community Member

This was so annoying that I finally took the initiative to create my first ever forum account (literally... any forum ever) so I can share my experience and how I worked around it.

I am using PP cs5.5, and it was happening to me with the lighting effects, in particular the intensity (%). I would set two keyframes, (descending from high intensity to low) and every time I played the video, or scrubbed it (manually moving the time line over the video), the first keyframe would reset itself to the value of the second keyframe (I could actually see the velocity graph change itself too). To make sure I wasn't going crazy, and to prevent myself from punching a hole in my new macbook pro, I set keyframes with all of the other lighting effects, same as I did with Luminosity. The other lighting effects keyframes all held there value and worked as they should.

I tried Mr. Simon's fix (second post above), but that did not work. I then tried just adding extra keyframes, similar to what Mr. Hunt descibes above.

I set one keyframe with high value at the beginning, and then a second with same value the next frame. I then set a third with the low value, where I want the descending value to end, and a fourth the very next frame. This method forces my keyframes to hold their value, and prevents the Flying Fist of Judah from making a hole in my macbook.

I will use this method if the same problem arises in the future, but cant help question, is it a bug? Hope this helped!

• 8. Re: keyframes for scale and position will randomly be forgotten by Premiere
                        Raphael Nadeau

M. JRodZ1 and teeravuss,

Thank you.  I have created an account just for that.  I have this exact problem and you were dead on.

I have seen the keyframe move just after I save my project.  This was very frustrating.  While I still have this error, JRodZ1 solution of putting a second keyframe on the next frame does seem to solve the behavior while the first one still moves all by itself.

Anyway, thank you

• 9. Re: keyframes for scale and position will randomly be forgotten by Premiere
                          Videoboy56

I am very new to Premiere Pro 6, moving over from FCP 7.  I am having a similar, if not the same, problem. I am trying to do a simple squeeze to 50% size and move a still frame to a corner over a period of time.  When I set the ending keyframe, it applies the move/size to the first keyframe.  I am absolutely certain I have set a starting keyframe at full size when I do this.  I've never seen this before in Final Cut.  There must be a bug somewhere in the program.  I'll have to try the workaround mentioned above.