21 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2012 5:59 AM by brett-whitham

Save selection to file

brett-whitham

Is there a way to save a selection I've made to a file for web? Currently my process would be Select an area > Crop > Save for Web > Go back in the history.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

• 1. Re: Save selection to file
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

Why don’t you use the Selection as a Layer Mask?

Maybe I’m misunderstanding the issue, though, so a couple of screenshots might help.

• 2. Re: Save selection to file
            Grant H Level 4

this is a perfect example of a use for an action...

record an action with stops...

G

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Save selection to file
              MikeGondek Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Use slices. Save for web, select the slice, after clicking save, choosing save Slices: Selected slices.

Another method is pull 4 guides, then use your method and have snap to guides on.

That way when I have revisions, my cropping will be the same.

• 4. Re: Save selection to file
                Grant H Level 4

here I made one for you: make a selection and play...

G

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7716845/forWeb.atn

just double click it... then check the actions panel

• 6. Re: Save selection to file
                  brett-whitham Level 1

Yes, actions. Thanks for the input everyone. I often forget to use these.

• 7. Re: Save selection to file
                    Grant H Level 4

wait:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7716845/forWebFin.atn

this one works in better in all scenarios

G

• 8. Re: Save selection to file
                      Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

This is Action madness.  Having made your selection, Ctrl c (copy) Ctrl n (new document the size of Clipboard Ctrl v (paste into new document.  Does that _really_ need an action?

• 9. Re: Save selection to file
                        c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

If an Action can save you even one keystroke for a task you do more than once daily it’s worth considering, I guess.

Anyway, with layered documents copy-/pasting may not suffice.

• 10. Re: Save selection to file

You are joking me.  Six keys, in three pairs.   So when you type, do you have an action for every word with six letters or more?   OK so it might be worth setting something up for 'supercalifragilisticexpialidocious' if you were given to Mary Poppin Quotes, and definitely worth thinking about Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch if you happened to have a pen friend who lived there.  Hey, how about that old favourite antidisestablishmentarianism?

c.pfaffenbichler wrote:

Anyway, with layered documents copy-/pasting may not suffice.

So throw in a Ctrl Alt Shift e.

If it's getting coplicated and you really need to do it several times a day, then OK, but not for copying a layer to a new document.  That's just crazy.

• 11. Re: Save selection to file
                            c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

With »task« I was referring to Photoshop-specific tasks and admittedly did not really consider typing texts.

Certainly managing numerable automations can in itself become enough of a chore to offset the possible gains – as might well be the case if one were to try and memorize keyboard shortcuts for all words above six letters, but naturally also with organizing Photoshop Actions and Scripts.

Still, I wrote that »it’s worth considering« – so if you have already considered it and found it worthless for your workflow that’s fine.

If it's getting coplicated and you really need to do it several times a day, then OK, but not for copying a layer to a new document.  That's just crazy.

Did the OP ever state whether it concerns one layer or a layered File?

Edit: Probably »saving one keystroke« was an exaggeration for practical purposes, after all.

Even the most basic automations I use probably save two input-oprations.

• 12. Re: Save selection to file

It's OK to be different.  Photoshop can be a lot of fun, but sometimes the pleasure in writing long scripts and actions can get in the way of core function.  We make the process over complicated because we enjoy creating code.  That's not a bad thing.  It's just not my thing.

• 13. Re: Save selection to file
                                JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Trevor I think you entitled to have your opinion. However I don't for the life of me have any idea of what you mean when you write that Actions and Scripts get in the way of core function.  Can you expand on that please

• 14. Re: Save selection to file

JJMack wrote:

Trevor I think you entitled to have your opinion. However I don't for the life of me have any idea of what you mean when you write that Actions and Scripts get in the way of core function.  Can you expand on that please

Glad to. I came into this thread with an astonished reaction that someone would write and use an action to make a new image file from a selection, because — IMO — It is just too quick and easy a process to warrant an action. (Unless you had a large number of these to do).

My view is that people enjoy creating code, but at some point, Photoshop stops being a tool to edit and create images, and becomes a means to itself rather than a means to an end.  In this thread a six key operation was being truncated to a minimum two key operation (assuming the OP had them available to launch his action — he might had needed to resort to a THREE key operation to launch!).   In THIS THREAD  p.c supplies what I am sure is a very elegant 10 odd lines of code to save the OP the trouble of hitting the ‘v’ key to select the Move tool after they launch Photoshop!  I wonder how many times a person could hit that ‘v’ key in the time it took p.c to write and implement that code? 

Note that I am not saying that Actions and Scripts are a bad thing.  Just that they can be overused, and in situations where they don't make any sense.

I have taught Photoshop at the last two Photographic Society of New Zealand’s National Conventions, and to some of the best amateur photographers in the world.  I have also had to deal with huge resistance to the use of Photoshop in high level competitions and Exhibitions, so I take the view that Photoshop is just a tool — as is a camera or dark room equipment. (BTW  When I say resistance, I am talking about an aggressively argued stance that the use of Photoshop is unfair, and nothing to do with photography.)

Of course I get a great deal of pleasure out of using Photoshop, but I try not to lose sight of the fact that is a tool for editing and creating images.

Having just spent several minutes typing this out, and spending way too much time in this forum as well, I actually have a fast approaching deadline for my current project, so time to get back to work. 

• 15. Re: Save selection to file

Trevor.Dennis wrote:

Glad to.

Having just spent several minutes typing this out, and spending way too much time in this forum as well, I actually have a fast approaching deadline for my current project, so time to get back to work. 

I can not type or spell so it take me much longer then several minutes to append anything.  In you append you wrote "Glad to" then went on for a while and never addressed gow Action and Scripts get in the way of core function.  You just state that what the OP wanted can be done manually which is always the case when it come to anything Actions and Scripts do.  While in this case an action doesn't make sense for you it might make sense fot someone. Actions and Scripts do not get in the way of Core Function they use core function and often the creators experance and skill to the extent that their creation may enable others to use Photoshop Core Function better then the would be able to do on there own.  You wrote you teach Photoshop so I quite sure you kown the don't get in the way of funcion more often they add enhanced function for users.

• 16. Re: Save selection to file
                                      D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Trevor.Dennis wrote

Some people work in production environments where you do these seemingly simple things all the time...

• 17. Re: Save selection to file

Good gracious. I clearly qualified my position by saying:

'Note that I am not saying that Actions and Scripts are a bad thing. Just that they can be overused, and in situations where they don't make any sense.'

I further qualified my position saying it made no sense to me that you would create a ten line script (I just counted, and it was actually 12 lines) to save yourself the trouble of typing the letter 'v' after launching Photoshop.

I am not criticising folk who need to use actions and scripts in workflows that feature often repeated, and reasonably complex functions.  I _am_ saying that some actions and scripts appear to have been created for the pleasure of writing them — rather like the pleasure a person would get out of finishing a difficult crossword puzzle — and not because they make sense in any real world time saving way.  That’s when they get in the way of core function.

• 18. Re: Save selection to file

Trevor.Dennis wrote:

That’s when they get in the way of core function.

How are they in the way or conflect with core function???? For me writing a script is work not a pleasure at all.

Additionally your Ctrl+C, Ctrl+N, Enter, and Ctrl+V may very well not work the way the OP want the selection to be made into a document. Why Ctrl+C will  not copy the composit view of all visible layer in the selected area to the clipboard just the top targeted layer even if several layers are targeted. If the op wants the composit view that would require many more steps and would be a very good canidate for an action or script. And adding in a Ctrl+Alt+Shift+E like you appeneded would work if the current target is visible and this would also add a layer that would also need to be deleted after the Ctrl+C.

For Example:

DocFromCompositSelection.jpg

• 19. Re: Save selection to file
                                            c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

I further qualified my position saying it made no sense to me that you would create a ten line script (I just counted, and it was actually 12 lines) to save yourself the trouble of typing the letter 'v' after launching Photoshop.

But consider how often you’d do that in the course of a year of working with Photoshop.

Another example of how one-user-input-event-saved for a procedure may be worth a little trouble (not an Action in this case, though) might be the All Tools Panel.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail&loc=en_us&extid=2173 522

I remember people have occasionally asked for just that functionality.

And it just saves one to three keystrokes or a cursor drag before releasing the click when selecting a Tool.

• 20. Re: Save selection to file
                                              c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

In THIS THREAD  p.c supplies what I am sure is a very elegant 10 odd lines of code to save the OP the trouble of hitting the ‘v’ key to select the Move tool after they launch Photoshop!

Actually that’s SriptingListener-code, so to generate it had to quit Photoshop, move the plug-in into the Automate-folder, start Photoshop, select the Tool (and then naturally quit Photoshop and remove the plug-in again).

The OP in that thread would still have to create the jsx-file and set Script Events Manager up accordingly to achieve his goal (or set up the alternative Action presented in that thread for use in Script Events Manager).

I guess one could write a Script that creates the jsx-file in the correct position and links it to the event – but even I think that would not be worth the effort …

• 21. Re: Save selection to file
                                                brett-whitham Level 1

This is quite the discussion for a problem that was mine and that I marked "answered" already. To punctuate this – hopefully for the last time – writing my own custom action was the correct route for my problem. I too have been using Photoshop for many years, about 15 now but it's been a while since I've had to use it everyday and forgot about writing actions.

Great discussion guys, but this is finished as it was answered the other day.