5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2012 1:38 PM by AtonMusic

Considering migration from FCP to Premiere ... some crucial noob questions...

danzg Level 1

We are a 12-seat postproduction house, considering switching to Premiere or Avid due to the apparent dead end of the 'P' in FCP...

I've been playing with a demo of PP, and run into some issues/questions. Any input would be appreciated.

1. Quicktime/ProRes: most of our source material is feature films (we cut trailers), which we receive from distributors as QuickTime ProRes files. These are usually 100GB or so, ProRes 422 HQ, with multiple audio tracks - Dialog, Music, Effects, Full Mix. When I tried to bring one of these into Premiere, there was no audio. I had to go into Quicktime and 'strip' out all but 1 stereo audio track. Does Premiere NOT support Quicktimes with multiple audio tracks?

2. I need to display the timecode of all my tracks in the 'program' monitor, the way FCP does through its 'Timecode Overlays' function. I cannot find this capability in Premiere. (Need to see the timecode in real time of each track in the timeline at the current position.)

3. Our workflow is to export sequences as QT reference files for conversion using mostly MPEG Streamclip. Can Premiere export QT reference files?

4. I tried several times to export XML from FCP to import into Premiere, but failed every time. I tried all versions of XML ... is there a trick to getting this to work smoothly?

Interface stuff:

5. I only see commands for jumping ahead 1 or 5 frames ... is there no way to jump 1 second with a shortcut?
      6. Is there a shortcut to toggle audio scrubbing?
      7. When I load audio into the Source Monitor, is there a shortcut for zooming in and out?
      8. Is there a shortcut for moving around in the Timeline, like PageUp/PageDown? ("Page Left/Page Right" in FCP)

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Considering migration from FCP to Premiere ... some crucial noob questions...
          AtonMusic Level 2

1. Quicktime/ProRes: most of our source material is feature films (we cut trailers), which we receive from distributors as QuickTime ProRes files. These are usually 100GB or so, ProRes 422 HQ, with multiple audio tracks - Dialog, Music, Effects, Full Mix. When I tried to bring one of these into Premiere, there was no audio. I had to go into Quicktime and 'strip' out all but 1 stereo audio track. Does Premiere NOT support Quicktimes with multiple audio tracks?

Did you set up the audio hardware preferences correctly in premiere's preferences?

3. Our workflow is to export sequences as QT reference files for conversion using mostly MPEG Streamclip. Can Premiere export QT reference files?

Adobe has a MUCH better solution to this and it is called Adobe media Encoder and integrates perfectly with premiere Pro... This will speed you up significantly over the MPEG StreamClip Flow

4. I tried several times to export XML from FCP to import into Premiere, but failed every time. I tried all versions of XML ... is there a trick to getting this to work smoothly?

I export from XML from FCPx - open it is Resolve Lite and from there I export to FCP7 XML - then import perfectly into Premiere Pro...

Chose "File" Import.... and select your FCP7 XML File (PPRO cant import FCPx XML)

Interface Stuff:

5. Dont Think so... With TRIM = YES.... (Goto Trim Preferences in PPRO Preferences)

6. Dont think so... Setup up a shortcut to go to Audio Preferences and turn it off there... (Stupid yeah but that Premiere in a Nutshell)

7. NO

8. YES....

I would suggest you go to "Keyboard Shorcuts" in the Premiere Pro Main Menu... There you can customize a LOT of things. LOTs.

In general PPRO is a fantastic software, IF you have a CUDA qualified card. Great for effects and scaling and moving.. Etc...

The workflow (Source Monitor Style) is epicly outdated and slow. Viewing Clips in PPRO is VERY closed and you will have to rely on your reading skills to find and sort your clips. I HATE that...

I have found a way of circumventing the source monitor in PPRO and that boosts performance by at least 500% (for my workflow) that way I can actually LOOK at my footage instead of READING about it... But THAT brings about a whole lot of other problems and bugs residing in PPRO..

I use FCPx as well. And that is superior in sorting images. The Event Library in FCPx IS the future and currently at least a decade ahead of its time. I am LOVING it. Others things there I dont love so much but this is about PPRO and not FCPx...

Still --- PPRO IMO === GREAT... If you rely on a BUNCH of prefessional features and want to be able to dig REALLY deep into well-thought-thru' features... AVID is the way to go...

Personally, if AVID was the last NLE on the planet... I would use QuickTIme 7 to cut my movies. AMC is a dinosour with LOTs of REALLY REALLY great and profesional features. That I dont need ;-)))

I wish you all the best and welcome to this forum... Here is alsways a lot of help to get ;-)

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Considering migration from FCP to Premiere ... some crucial noob questions...
            danzg Level 1

Did you set up the audio hardware preferences correctly in premiere's preferences?

As far as I know ... there's no real options there, just 'device' and 'buffersize' ... as I said, QT with 1 audio track plays fine.  With multiple, there's sound AT ALL.

Adobe has a MUCH better solution to this and it is called Adobe media Encoder and integrates perfectly with premiere Pro... This will speed you up significantly over the MPEG StreamClip Flow

I've used Media Encoder, and, in my experience, MPEG Streamclip is much faster and gives much better H264 compression. I also use QT reference files in lots of other ways, like to create audio re-mapped files, etc. Can't imagine not having this feature.

I export from XML from FCPx - open it is Resolve Lite and from there I export to FCP7 XML - then import perfectly into Premiere Pro...

Sorry, I wasn't clear, we use FCP 7, not FCPx. For us FCPx was a complete no-go.

5. Dont Think so... With TRIM = YES.... (Goto Trim Preferences in PPRO Preferences)

Wow, that really sucks.

6. Dont think so... Setup up a shortcut to go to Audio Preferences and turn it off there... (Stupid yeah but that Premiere in a Nutshell)

Wow, that really sucks.

7. NO

Wow, that really sucks.

8. YES....

Where is it? What is it called? I couldn't find it. Been spending all morning in the Shortcuts window!

What about question #2? Timecode overlays?

Thanks for your advice!

• 3. Re: Considering migration from FCP to Premiere ... some crucial noob questions...
              danzg Level 1

Actually, I just discovered that the 'Info' window displays all timecodes for all tracks .... but it's in a separate window; kinda suboptimal...

• 4. Re: Considering migration from FCP to Premiere ... some crucial noob questions...
                AtonMusic Level 2

Sorry, I wasn't clear, we use FCP 7, not FCPx. For us FCPx was a complete no-go.

I did understand that... What I was referring to was that I export FCPx XML to FCP7 XML and PPRO is perfectly capable of reading that.

Which means that PPRO is cabable of reading FCP7 XML ;-)

• 5. Re: Considering migration from FCP to Premiere ... some crucial noob questions...
                  AtonMusic Level 2

Dan123456123456 wrote:

8. YES....

Where is it? What is it called? I couldn't find it. Been spending all morning in the Shortcuts window!

Check my search string...... All you need

Go To 'Next Edit Point' Translated means Go To Next Clip ;-)

Screen Shot 2012-02-24 at 10.36.06 PM.png