12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2012 6:04 PM by gorexpress

deleting xmp files

goreexpress Level 1

I work in Lightroom and Photoshop, and because I have a desktop and laptop, files are in 2 locations. To synchonize them, I sometimes use a file sync program. When in this external program, one can see the jpg, cr2 and xmp files.

I sometimes realize that I don't need the JPG file when I also have the CR2 (raw) file, so I would delete the FPG file. But before deleting it, I was wondering if I should also delete the xmp file or not. In other words, is the xmp assoicated with JPG all the time (then I would delete the xmp also) or CR2 all the time (here I would keep the xmp), or can it be associated with either one? (which would be really confusing)

Thank you, p

• 1. Re: deleting xmp files
          D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The xmp is the raw file edits. Deleting it will clear the edits and leave the raw file in its original form. It has nothing to do with the jpeg.

(BTW this is one of the advantages of using DNG instead of the native raw format. The xmp is embedded in the DNG, so managing becomes easier).

• 2. Re: deleting xmp files
            Level 1

D Fosse wrote:

...this is one of the advantages of using DNG instead of the native raw format. The xmp is embedded in the DNG, so managing becomes easier).

True; and if you have one of the camera models that shoot raw and record the raw images natively as raw DNG files, then the DNG format becomes unquestionably the ideal one.

• 3. Re: deleting xmp files
              Noel Carboni Level 7

To expand on what D Fosse has said above, and without using DNG, this is the ideal/expected case for configuring Camera Raw to generate XMP settings files (opposed to keeping settings in a single separate database on only one computer).  Since they reside right next to the proprietary raw files (e.g., .cr2) it becomes easy to sync them to both systems.  This, of course, assumes you'd like the Camera Raw settings you chose when opening an image on the one system to apply to subsequent conversions of the same image on the other.

-Noel

• 4. Re: deleting xmp files
                gorexpress Level 1

sorry for the delay, I could not access it before. This is a very good answer. I deleted only the JPG's keeping the precious settings for my cr2 files

• 5. Re: deleting xmp files
                  gorexpress Level 1

I guess DNG would be best. I always wondered why the files downloaded were larger than the naative raw (CR2 in my case). Do you know of any quick way to convert over 2,000 cr2 files to dng while saving them in the same directory as the cr2 file resides?

• 6. Re: deleting xmp files
                    Robert Shomler Level 4

gorexpress wrote:

... Do you know of any quick way to convert over 2,000 cr2 files to dng while saving them in the same directory as the cr2 file resides?

You can open large numbers of cr2 files in ACR from Bridge, then Select All, select Digital Negative format in the save panel, and and Save Files to same folder (or another folder of your choice).  Easier for an entire folder with many cr2 files might be the Adobe DNG Converter.  You'll want to check that it will incorporate your ACR edits from accompanying xmp files. (I've not used the converter so am not sure whether or not it does this or only converts the cr2 without xmp edits.)  Download links for current ACR 6.6 and DNG converter are at the top of the Overview of this Camera Raw forum.

• 7. Re: deleting xmp files
                      gorexpress Level 1

thanks, will look into these. I am guessing that everything will need to be updated (synchronized) in Lightroom to have them. Would you save the original CR2 files on CD/DVD or External drive in case?

• 8. Re: deleting xmp files
                        Robert Shomler Level 4

gorexpress wrote:

... Would you save the original CR2 files on CD/DVD or External drive in case?

Directly after copying cr2 files from camera memory cards to folders on my system I'll archive copies of those folders on two different external drives.  And I have had occasion to restore some files from those initial cr2 copies.  (After completing my work on a series I'll also archive dng files to two other external drives.) 

• 9. Re: deleting xmp files
                          gorexpress Level 1

thank you very much for all the replies. This has been very helpful. p

• 10. Re: deleting xmp files
                            b2martin_a Level 2

The only issue I have with the DNG file is it limits you ability to use other image editing software since it is not supported by all image editing software.  If you are not concerned about future flexibility with other software, this is not an issue.  If you shoot Nikon and want to be able to use Nikon Capture NX2 on some images, then DNG is not an option since Capture NX2 does not support DNG.  You can save the NEF file inside of the DNG, but you get a considerable increase in the file size.  I initially used DNG for all RAW images, but long ago changed to using the NEF file and XMP files because of DNG's limited support.  I have not experienced a problem having 2 files (NEF + XMP)  for each RAW image. 

• 11. Re: deleting xmp files
                              D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

True, but there are other raw converters. Phase One's Capture One has DNG support. Either way, as long as I'm using Photoshop, I see no reason not to use ACR, it's not as if there's anything wrong with it...

In long term archival terms, I still believe DNG is the safest bet. And if we're ever going to have a standard in this field, it has to be DNG. Nothing else qualifies.

• 12. Re: deleting xmp files
                                gorexpress Level 1

so much more than I expected. Thanks a bunch, p