6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2012 9:30 AM by Sentern

Importing AVI in PE10 - format problem

Sentern Level 1

I just upgraded to Premiere Elements 10 from version 7.  I am basically happy with the new features and it seems stable on my machine.

My issue is with importing AVI files.  When I imported AVI files into PE7, it kept the correct aspect ratio for that clip.  When I bring the exact same files into PE10, it changes it to "square pixels", adjusting the aspect ratio.

I found the Interpret Footage setting and I'm able to change each clip back to HD Anamorphic 1080 (1:3333).  However, this seems silly/annoying that you have to do this for each clip, since in PE7 it didn't change the aspect ratio upon import.  I still have PE7 on my computer, and the import of the same clip works fine.  Also, when I tried to import a MPEG file into PE10, I got a message that it was the wrong aspect ratio for my settings (HDV 1080i 30fps) even though the clip's settings matched that preset.  Again, the same MPEG clip in PE7 loads into the SAME preset without any issues at all.

I feel like I must be missing some default setting, since I can't imagine that I would have to change EVERY clip upon import.

Any info/hints would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

• 1. Re: Importing AVI in PE10 - format problem
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

Welcome to the forum.

It appears that PrE 10 is missing the flag for the PAR, in those files, where PrE 7 was picking up the flags.

Where did those AVI files come from, what camera?

Some cameras do not write the file header info per the specificatios. Just a guess on my part, but I would say that Adobe probably tightened the algorithm to more exacting header specifications, between versions, but it would take an Adobe engineer to either throw that out, or verify that it is true.

Other than Interpret Footage, I am not sure what can be done.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Importing AVI in PE10 - format problem
            Sentern Level 1

Bill,

Thanks for the quick reply.  The source file for this example originally came from my Canon HV30.  I used Cineform NeoScene  to convert the files to AVIs. 

I did notice that this problem doesn't occur when I import directly from the Canon HV30.  It's just odd that the PE7 doesn't have a problem identifying the correct aspect ratio.  Also, Windows Media Player opens the AVIs in the correct aspect ratio.

• 3. Re: Importing AVI in PE10 - format problem
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Senten,

Again, just speculation on my part, but I would say that NeoScene is writing the flags into the header info, in a way, that PrE 10 is having an issue with. As above, it would appear that Adobe has tightened things up a bit, between versions, and the flags are just being missed.

Adobe's general philosophy has been keep things a bit loose on Import, but very, very strict on output. This has been with Premiere, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and most of their programs. They try for 100 spec. for whatever the output is, but are more lenient when bringing things into the programs. However, they might have tightened things up a bit on Import here, and that is why PrE 7 sees the flags, while PrE 10 is missing those same flags. This would be a great time for an Adobe engineer to step in, and explain why one might see different behaviors from different versions, with the same exact files. I can only speculate.

Also, Adobe has worked very closely with Cineform, on many projects, so that NeoScene might not be producing files that are read 100% by Premiere is a bit of a surprise to me, but "stuff" happens. In the early days of AVCHD, NeoScene was very, very popular, and is still used, though not so much anymore.

I know of no way to do a "batch" Interpret Footage operation, and as Premiere does not support Scripting in any way, like AfterEffects does, can't even guess how one might solve the issue with any form of automation.

Maybe Steve Grisetti will have some thoughts, as he has extensively tested almost every version of PrE. Maybe he has seen a "tightening" of the specs. or similar, version to version.

Good luck, and wish that I had more than speculation to go on here.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Importing AVI in PE10 - format problem
                Sentern Level 1

Thank you for that response.  I guess for now I'll just manually convert the aspect ratio of each clip upon import.  I actually will be moving towards using AVCHD files when I get a new camera this spring, so I may not have as much need (desire) to covert files from my Canon HV30 to AVIs. 

Interestingly enough, one of the Amazon.com reviews about Premiere Elements 10 was an issue with the AVI files.  It was a different problem (program crashed when conforming AVI files) but interesting that the AVI files were involved for that user as well.

Thanks again for the response.

Jim

• 5. Re: Importing AVI in PE10 - format problem
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

Now Conforming is another process. This ARTICLE goes into more detail. This involves creating the CFA files, which are converted Audio files. The original Audio is "Conformed," i.e. "converted" to 32-bit floating point for exact editing, at @ 48KHz. Also, the PEK files are generated for Waveform Display. While not overly intense an operation, it does require some I/O interaction (and a bit of CPU processing for the Conforming). As the CFA files are rather large, if one does not have plenty of free-space on their HDD, or they have a slow HDD, or the connection type is very slow, they can have issues. While I am busy "guessing," I would say that the crashing reported on, was related to the user's computer's I/O was at least part of the problem.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Importing AVI in PE10 - format problem
                    Sentern Level 1

Bill,

I had also posted on Elements Village website about this issue.  A moderator had me use the gspot utility to get the codec info.  As a reference, this is what it said about the avi file:

Video Codec: CFHD (CineForm 10-bit Visually Perfect HD (Wavelet))

Audio Codec: PCM Audio (48000Hz  1536 kb/s tot (2 chnls))

1440 x 1080

SAR: 1.333 (4:3)

PAR: 1.000 (1:1)

DAR: 1.333 (4:3)

The preset I'm using in both PE7 and PE10 is HDV 1080i 30

The source file came from Canon HV30 prior to using Cineform NeoScene to convert to avi.

Checked Quicktime: it is up-to-date.