7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2012 8:22 PM by tracyscottbrooks

Cant open Adobe After Effects. Please Help.

darktolight8

Hello. This is the first time I have posted with any sort of issue, but I am desperate.

I was having issues with my Adobe After Effect CS5.5 freezing up on me. The times it would freeze up seemed completely random. Sometimes at the beginning of the render, sometimes when scrolling through the timeline. My system is completely up-to-date and so is my software. I decided to Uninstall then reinstall. Now whenever I click on Adobe After Effects this screen pops up that says, "You can't open the application adobe after effects cs5 because PowerPC applications are no longer supported." Even when I uninstall and reinstall it is still saying this. I have had this computer for 3 years and after effects for 5 months and have never had this issue before.

Please help! Thanks.

I have a macbook pro.

Processor: 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory: 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

Software: Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 (11D50b)

• 1. Re: Cant open Adobe After Effects. Please Help.
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

I'm sorry for your problems.  You must think that After Effects works the same for every single computer on the planet, yes?  You are wrong.

You may want to tell people more about your situation if you desire help.  I recommend that you go here.   If you feel that you are so special that this is not something you want to do, then you my wait a long time.

• 2. Re: Cant open Adobe After Effects. Please Help.
            darktolight8 Level 1

I gave the description of my computer below my post. Even though you are extremely condescending, thanks for pointing me in the right area to post this.

• 3. Re: Cant open Adobe After Effects. Please Help.
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

That's nice.

Perhaps you might want to share with the forum the version of AE you have.  Perhaps you might want to share some details about your project.  The nature of the footage could have bearing on your problem.  However, the combination of a Power PC -- a very old computer -- OSX Lion -- a relatively new os -- and Whatever version of AE you happen to have are most likely the problem.  If you think these things are  a secret, then you can't expect a lot of help.

Especially late on a Saturday night, y' know?

• 4. Re: Cant open Adobe After Effects. Please Help.
                darktolight8 Level 1

I did share the version of AE I have is "Adobe After Effect CS5.5" If you look at my original post, you will see that.

The nature of the footage does not have anything to do with the problem because if you read my original post, I cant open AE at all without getting this message, "You can't open the application adobe after effects cs5 because PowerPC applications are no longer supported."

I am not using an old computer hence the computer description in the first post.

All the information you requested is in my original post. Please reread if you wish to help.

• 5. Re: Cant open Adobe After Effects. Please Help.
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you installed rosetta? How about some 3rd party codec packs. Old codecs designed for the Power PC may cause you some problems.

Another question, did CS5.5 ever run correctly on this machine? If not, did you have the trial version installed? Did you upgrade? What was the upgrade path? Have you ever used the Adobe Cleaner app to remove all traces of CS5?

I'm currently running CS5.5 on a MacBook that's older than yours, first gen intel, with only 4 gb ram and it's working just fine but I don't have any codec pacs or 3rd party video codec solutions installed.

• 6. Re: Cant open Adobe After Effects. Please Help.
                    darktolight8 Level 1

I have not installed Rosetta. I have all the final cut studio 3rd party codecs such as Apple Prores, but none that are designed for Power PC.

CS5.5 has run correctly for a few months on my machine. I do not have the trial version. Its the paid for Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 Production Premium. I had upgraded it a few days before this issue happened. I upgraded by going to Help> Update. I used Adobe Cleaner to wipe everything for the reinstall, but it had the same effect. Its almost like my macbook has deemed after effects as a power pc app and is refusing to open anything named Adobe After Effects. Really weird situation.

Unfortunately to fix the problem, I wiped everything on the hardrive and started new. Sad way to do it, but I had to get it working for this project. Any ideas on what may have been the issue so I dont run into this again?

• 7. Re: Cant open Adobe After Effects. Please Help.
                      tracyscottbrooks

With the release of OS Lion power PC Apps were no longer supported.  Are you sure you have the version of After Effects correct?