9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2012 8:07 PM by the_wine_snob

disc menu not showing up on DVD

metro-citymusic

Hi,  I selected (and changed to suit my needs) a template for the opening screen disc menu set.  When I burned to DVD, it did not show up though it played during the preview.  Also the overal movie had some studders to it that are not in the original vob clips.  What to do?  I'm using PE 10 with a windows 7 system.

• 1. Re: disc menu not showing up on DVD
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder is your source video coming from and what format is it?

When you started your Premiere Elements project, which project settings did you select? If you did not select the correct project settings for your source video, you can run into an interlacing conflict which can make your final DVD output stutter.

As for your menu issue, it's impossible to say without examing your templates PSD file. DVD templates must adhere to a very strict layer set and layer naming system or they won't work properly. If you "changed it to suit" your needs, you may not have created a function DVD template.

• 2. Re: disc menu not showing up on DVD
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with the answers to Steve's questions, what are the pixel x pixel dimensions of the Still Image, or Motion Background Video, that you used to customize your Main Menu?

Which Template did you choose to start?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: disc menu not showing up on DVD
              metro-citymusic Level 1

Turns out there was some problem with my DVD burner.  I ended up reconfiguring that and the whole DVD came thru.  I had one more question about the opening scene.  In the finished product when I put it on a TV, it is hard to see that the "scene" or "play movie" is highlighted.  Do you have any suggestions for fixing this?  Larger font?, Maybe it should change colors when it is engaged?

Thanks!!! E

• 4. Re: disc menu not showing up on DVD
                the_wine_snob Level 9

One can alter the PrE Menu Sets, but with DVD Menus, there are several considerations, that must be adhered to.

I use Photoshop to customize my PrE Menu Sets, and it works fine.

Within the constraints of DVD Menus, one can do some things in PrE, PS or PSElements.

When it comes to Sub-picture Highlights, there are many, many more constraints, and limitations, but one can do quite a bit of customization.

Steve Grisetti covers the in's and out's of PrE Menu Set customization, in his PrE books, and especially the Photoshop Elements/Premiere Elements book.

If you need more details, let us know, as Ihave a few discussions, that I can share, should you wish to do customization, beyond just adding an appropriately Scaled Stil Image, or Video, as a background.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: disc menu not showing up on DVD
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

For just changing the size of the Buttons, you can do that in PrE by clicking on the Button, and then working with the Bounding Box, BUT you must remember that Buttons cannot overlap Buttons, even by 1 pixel. The Scaling of Buttons in PrE is pretty much by "eye," where if one does it in PS, or PSE, then they can use Guides, to get exact Button Scaling, and also Alignment.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: disc menu not showing up on DVD
                    metro-citymusic Level 1

I was able to customize the bottons (change font etc.), but when it comes to selecting it from the TV, I can't see that I am selecting that button.  For people I send it to, I would like it as user friendly as possible, thus I thought that if it "lite up" or changed colors that might help.  On my lap top it is not a problem.  Ideas?

• 7. Re: disc menu not showing up on DVD
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Which Template did you choose?

The Sub-picture Highlights can differ wildly, from Menu Set, to Menu Set.

Also, and as are usually taken into design consideration with the Library Templates, Sub-picture Highlights have some strict requirements and limitations. Those are part of the DVD-specs., such as 2-bit color, always appearing on top of all else in the Menu, etc.

I wonder if the Sub-picture Highlight was not Scaled up too, and is appearing, though just not where and how it was designed? That is why I do my customization in PS - I can Scale everything Up/Down, as is needed, plus I can reposition a Sub-picture Highlight, as I need to.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: disc menu not showing up on DVD
                        metro-citymusic Level 1

Hi Bill,

I took it from the templates of the PE 10, just changed the font.  I'm not so good with the custom stuff from scratch.  Sounds like I have to live with what I can select from the templates right now, no chance to change the sub-picture highlight myself easily?

• 9. Re: disc menu not showing up on DVD
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, but which Template was it exactly?

Good luck,

Hunt