12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2012 5:59 AM by wright410b

CS5 upgrade crashed system. Still don't know why.

wright410b

My new CS5 upgrade crashed my system big time.

Short story is, I still have no answers.

Anyone want to throw in their 2 cents worth? 

I tried to upgraded from CS3, which was working perfectly, by the way. 

I have a 32 bit system (with a then) 64 bit Vista Home Premium w/sp 1, 1T HD, 6G RAM, quad core. GHz is fast.  Also tried it with my new, but not improved Vista Business 32 bit.

Am getting Win 7 soon.  Checking into upgrading my processor to 64 bit. (apparently it is upgradable)

Wondering if this could be a 32 bit/64 bit problem?  An OS problem? A RAM prob? Wrong installation disc from PS?  Missing driver?  Bad luck?

Be a big help if you would give me any feedback on this matter. 

I've passed the 30-day refund mark from PS due to trying to fix the computer, and not knowing what the prob is and would still really, really like to have CS5 eventually.....

Thx!

<< admin - removed comic sans after report that it was offensive >>

• 1. Re: CS5 upgrade crashed system. Still don't know why.
          Level 7

Photoshop CS5 works on 32 bit Windows and MacOS, as well as 64 bit.

But you really should get Vista or Win7 64 bit (faster, and can really use that extra RAM)

Also, did you install the updates for Photoshop?

What do you mean by "crashed system"? More details on the symptoms might help us figure out what is wrong with your system?

• 2. Re: CS5 upgrade crashed system. Still don't know why.
            wright410b Level 1

CS3 had all the current updates I think. When I received the disc for the upgrade I don't remember having to install anything new except for maybe an active x?? When it crashed, it locked everything up and has a run time error. Ended up having to get a new hard drive and do a complete sweep. All my data was saved tho, thank goodness. But reinstalled all programs again. Tried the CS5 again, started running s l o w, so I uninstallednit before it could crash again. Running slow means photos wouldn't hardly open and was barely responsive when I clicked on anything in ps. Also had RAM memory warnings.

• 3. Re: CS5 upgrade crashed system. Still don't know why.
              Level 7

If the system is locked up, you wouldn't get a runtime error.

But you could get a bluescreen that locks the system and shows an error.

What exactly happened, what exact error message did you see?

What "RAM memory warnings" did you see, and where?

If it's running slow, the likely causes are bugs in drivers (like the video card driver), third party plugins, or external utilities (some antivirus has done that)

• 4. Re: CS5 upgrade crashed system. Still don't know why.
                wright410b Level 1

My computer did have blue screen. Somehow my computer guy was able to read the errors. (?) sorry I can't remember exactly what the screen said. All  I know is that is was permanently disabled, I used the word crashed.  However, prior to the "crash" is did give me error messages like  "high disc usage",  "cannot save photo because there is not enough RAM memory".  I have two plug ins from Imagenomics that would lock up Photoshop when I tried to run it. But also had trouble opening up more than two or three photos at a time. I'm used to opening 20-30 at a time. and Photoshop was so slow it was unusable.  This went on for a couple weeks, during that time I did disc defrag, disc clean up, I went through my programs trying to see if there was anything taking up my memory etc. I was digging thru my files reading forums, faq, blogs, I have a membership to a photo forum, couldnt find much. I don't have a lot of junk on my computer. It is mainly used for photos.  I'm not willing to use my new upgrade until I find out for sure what happened. My computer guy basically said the hard drive failed. I do have a video card and I use an external hard drive.  What is the chance an ipod would be the prob? I had one hooked up charging overnite when it crashed.  It's an old Ipod and it is also corrupted.

I'm grabbin at straws now (:  thx.

• 5. Re: CS5 upgrade crashed system. Still don't know why.
                  Noel Carboni Level 8

Apple software running on a PC (e.g., iTunes) is about one level above Malware.  Apple has little incentive to make it work well.  That said, I can't say whether it was Apple software that did your computer in.

I CAN say this, however...  Your computer apparently has big problems, and while they may have been brought to light by installation of Photoshop, which is a fairly intensive application, Photoshop CS5 in itself does not crash computers.

Look for basic system problems first, such as at-capacity or outdated hardware (too little free disk space, old video card, too little RAM) and correct them.  It might be a good idea to run diagnostics as well, such as a thorough RAM test, CHKDSK or disk diagnostics, etc.  Make sure you have a good backup before you stress your system, because sometimes testing marginal hardware, which is stressful in itself, causes further failures.

-Noel

• 6. Re: CS5 upgrade crashed system. Still don't know why.
                    wright410b Level 1

I'm sorry to sound like a broken record but I did all that and CS5 still wouldnt work.  I have 1T hard drive that is over 75% free, 6 G RAM, brand new hard drive, all data is on an external.  I've run diagnostics till I'm sick of it.

I think PS sent me a disc that wouldn't work. Maybe its corrupt or for the wrong system or ? how would I know or not?  I suspect maybe a video card, too. I know very little about that.

Thx. 

I may not find any answers but it's interesting to hear from you all. 

• 7. Re: CS5 upgrade crashed system. Still don't know why.
                      Noel Carboni Level 8

What video card do you have?

-Noel

• 8. Re: CS5 upgrade crashed system. Still don't know why.
                        wright410b Level 1

NVIDIA GeForce 9300 GE graphics card. 

Thx!

• 9. Re: CS5 upgrade crashed system. Still don't know why.
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, what is the version number/date of your nVidia driver?

Is that the latest version from the nVidia Web site?

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - for a BSOD, this ARTICLE, while written with Adobe Premiere Pro in mind, might prove helpful.

• 10. Re: CS5 upgrade crashed system. Still don't know why.
                            wright410b Level 1

purchased April of 08. If an update appeared on my screen, I did it. Maybe it's automatic? Otherwise I really don't remember doing anything with it. How can I tell if it's not updated, or needs updating or not? At control panel, it says its working...... Thanks for your help and interest in this irritating problem.

• 11. Re: CS5 upgrade crashed system. Still don't know why.
                              Noel Carboni Level 8

Probably hasn't been automatically updated.  Go to nvidia.com and get their latest.

-Noel

• 12. Re: CS5 upgrade crashed system. Still don't know why.
                                wright410b Level 1

OK. Thanks again for the suggestions.  I did download an update from NVIDIA and I took itunes off. I have a big project I'm working on in the next few weeks and I want my computer to be UP and running for sure, after that I will try to install the cs5 upgrade again and see what happens. If you think of anything else at all, please let me know, I really appreciate all your help.