6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2012 10:47 AM by Steve Grisetti

Pan & Zoom with Clip

incognito12

I have great success with the Premiere Elements 10 pan & zoom feature in the preview mode.  But when I hit 'done' it invariably crashes.  I'm obviously doing something wrong.  Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Pan & Zoom with Clip
          the_wine_snob Level 9

For crashes and hangs, see this ARTICLE. It starts with a checklist of things to do, to insure that PrE is setup, along with the system, for best results. Then, it goes into some links on tuning up the system and OS, and finally, lists links on troubleshooting.

If nothing helps you, then please post complete details of the system, the Source Files and the Project Preset, as outlined in this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Pan & Zoom with Clip
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

And certainly it's important that you never use a photo larger than 1000x750 pixels in a Premiere Elements project. Using oversized images is the chief reason for program crashes while editing. (The other is having less than 20-30 gigs of free, clean, defragmented space on your C drive.)

• 3. Re: Pan & Zoom with Clip
              incognito12 Level 1

Not sure I got Gspot to do a complete analysis.

gspot-2-26-12.jpg

System

Gateway NV78

Core 2 duo T6600 2.2 gHz

4 GB RAM

64-bit

Win 7 Home Premium SP 1

Hitachi 500 GB ATA - 208 GB free

Mobile Intel R4 Express chipset - 64 Mb dedicated 1631 Mb shared

Intel Hi Def Audio HDMI

Assets

- From Canon HfG10

- Shot at 1440 x 1080 60i

- Imported from SD card

- Presets: Tried all HDV 1080i and DV NTSC editing modes

Workflow

- Project is 2:06:09 in length

- Five clips (four split from one clip)

- Problem occurs wherever attempted in workflow

Thanks again for your assistance.

• 4. Re: Pan & Zoom with Clip

That's an AVCHD camcorder. G Spot should certainly have been able to identify the codec, if you shot it in full quality mode.

And, naturally, the project preset you used should not have been HDV or DV NTSC. It should have been AVCHD 1440x1080. If you did that and you have the latest version of Quicktime on your computer, all should be well. In fact, you should not even see red lines above your clips when you add them to your timeline. Is that the case in your project?

Definitely update Quicktime and set up your project for AVCHD. (VERY important, since the first time you do this, Premiere Elements will install the necessary codecs for AVCHD.) The first 2 parts of my free 8 part tutorial series will show you how do this correctly.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685

• 5. Re: Pan & Zoom with Clip
                  incognito12 Level 1

Thanks for the comments.  I've concluded I'll just do this manually in Effects - Motion.  Thanks again.

• 6. Re: Pan & Zoom with Clip

You are still going to have problems, unless you follow my advice for updating your software and using the correct project settings.