1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 25, 2012 9:46 PM by John Hawkinson

Problems with InDesign CS5, Mac Pro & 5870

Color Now

I am using InDesign CS5, OS X 10.7.3 (recent clean install) on a Mac Pro 3,1 (early 2008 Mac Pro) with Apple's ATI 5870 card.

When working with a series of InDesign files today I noticed an odd problem. On some pages, PDF documents that were placed in the layout were not displaying on screen (just a white, blank space). Also, some JPEG files were appearing garbled, as if corrupted, in some of the same layouts.

My first thought was that the graphic files in question had somehow become corrupted, but after opening them that didn't seem to be the case. The InDesign files were from different sources and other than this problem, the machine is running without issues.

I don't know why I thought to try this but I replaced the 5870 with the original ATI 2600 and the problem went away.

Nothing else seems to have a problem with the 5870 including some graphic heavy games.

Has anyone else experienced symptons like this?

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Keith

• 1. Re: Problems with InDesign CS5, Mac Pro & 5870
          John Hawkinson Level 5

Keith: What patch release of InDesign are you running? Hold down Cmd and select About InDesign.

Did you try resetting your preferences?

I don't believe that InDesign is GPU-accellerated, and you games probably are. So if there are issues with non-GPU graphics on your card, that could be it.

Certainly hardware failure of the video card is consistent with your narrative.

You might also find it useful to cycle through View > Display Performance