7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 28, 2012 7:08 AM by kglad RSS

Tween reversing direction in rolling animation.

Kawboy2 Community Member

I am trying to make a banner where two colored squares roll across the screen. The first blue square does just fine, however when trying the same thing with a green square (in a different layer) it does ok the first half of the tween, but reverses direction in the second half (where I placed a keyframe)- even though I rotated the green square the same way as the first half. What is wrong and why won't it rotate the same way throughout the tween?

• 1. Re: Tween reversing direction in rolling animation.
          kglad CommunityMVP

what kind of tween, motion/classic?  if motion, did you use the motion editor?  if yes, attach a screenshot of the motion editor with your problematic tween selected.

if to any of those, attach a screen shot of the properties panel with the problematic tween selected.

• 2. Re: Tween reversing direction in rolling animation.
            Kawboy2 Community Member

I am using I guess a motion tween. I should say I'm also using CS3 version. I don't know where the motion editor is. I tried clicking on the instance and it selected the proper motion tween range, then right clicked and found the "actions" section and went to rotation direction and set as CW, but it didn't seem to make any difference. Maybe I'm not in the motion editor under actions? Sorry to be such a dummy at this, just learning.

• 3. Re: Tween reversing direction in rolling animation.
              SteveMacintyre Community Member

Yeah, flash gets confused if you manually rotate a movie clip. The only way around that is to do what Kglad said. Select the square movie clip and open the transform window. You should see a radio button with the word rotate next to it and a little angle symbol below. Next to it, click on the number and you can either type in a value or drag your mouse left or right to change it. Type in a negative value to go left, or a positive to go right.

• 4. Re: Tween reversing direction in rolling animation.
                Kawboy2 Community Member

Dang, I still don't know what I am doing wrong. I tried that, but it does not seem to have an effect on which way it rotates. It only seems to affect how much it rotates and not which direction. I've included a screen shot.

sampletween.jpg

In the screen shot, when the green square goes from the first tween to the second part of the motion tween it reverses rotation. It starts clockwise, then goes counterclockwise when scrubed into the second tween. I'm showing what I think is the motion editor, and it just reads 180 degrees. Altering that only seems to lessen the amount of rotation, but not change the direction. The blue square works fine, they both come from the right of the screen to the left. I don't know why one works and the other doesn't. This is frustrating! Maybe I should just try one motion with the green, but it worked for the blue, why not the green?

• 5. Re: Tween reversing direction in rolling animation.
                  kglad CommunityMVP

you need to select the problematic tween, not the square.

• 6. Re: Tween reversing direction in rolling animation.
                    Kawboy2 Community Member

That's where my mistake was! Thank you so much kglad. The motion editor will appear in the bottom section of the window where there is a drop down for the rotation direction for those wondering like me! Thank you too Steve for trying to help this novice out.

selecttween.jpg

• 7. Re: Tween reversing direction in rolling animation.
                      kglad CommunityMVP

you're welcome.