5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2012 10:29 PM by John Hawkinson

Excel linking is not working correctly

Lisa_Donohoe

Hello.

I have been working with CS4 and linking excel sheets, using name ranges. The excel sheets were created in Excel 2010 and then saved down to 97-2003 as .xls files. This has been working successfully for a year.

However, I recently upgraded to CS5.5 (while still running CS4 on the machine as well), and am now having some issues.

The excel sheets that are created in Excel 2010 and being saved as .xls files are now not presenting correctly when I try to place them into InDesign (both CS5.5 and CS4). The file lists the worksheets, but presents all the name ranges under the first worksheet option, and none under the following worksheets.

I have tried recreating the Excel sheets (new worksheets with the data copy/pasted in), and then adding in the name ranges. I've tried this building the worksheets front to back, and back to front. However, when I add in the name ranges and try to place them into InDesign, the same error occurs.

Can anyone tell me if they have had a similar problem, and if they have any suggestions and/or solutions?

Regards,

Lisa.

• 1. Re: Excel linking is not working correctly
          John Hawkinson Level 5

Have you tried .xlsx?

• 2. Re: Excel linking is not working correctly
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Named ranges don't work with XLSX files due a long standing bug.

I haven't used this workflow for quite some time but if I have a chance I'll see if I can reproduce this.

Bob

• 3. Re: Excel linking is not working correctly
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Does this problem happen if you place the same files in CS4?

Bob

• 4. Re: Excel linking is not working correctly
                Lisa_Donohoe Level 1

Thank you, Bob.

I was aware of the .xlsx issue, which is why we have been saving the files back to .xls.

This problem wasn't happening with CS4 files before we upgraded to 5.5, but now it is occuring in both 4 and 5.5.

EDIT:

I've done a little more "experimentation". The problem is not occuring in newly created excel files, so I now suspect the problem is in the supplied files.

It is possible the client is populating their data in a particular way that is affecting the excel sheet.

For example, if I open a new worksheet and copy/paste the cells from the original file, it will replicate the error (so all name ranges list under the first worksheet option when trying to place into InDesign).

However! If I swap the order of the worksheets in the excel file and then try to place in InDesign again, the name ranges now list under the NEW first worksheet.

Has me baffled!

EDIT #2:

I have managed a solution of sorts...

If I move/copy the worksheet from the original excel sheet into a new excel sheet, it will hold the name ranges when placing into InDesign, even though the original Excel sheet doesn't!

Logic defies me, but at least I can finish this project and supply a work process for the client to receive future files from them.

This "fix" has worked in .xls for both CS4 and CS5.5

• 5. Re: Excel linking is not working correctly
                  John Hawkinson Level 5

It would be a good idea to file a bug. Can you provide a small sample file that demonstrates this problem?