3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2012 6:49 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 4 - No Sound in Editing Mode

baumgrenze Level 1

There is probably a simple answer to this. I've just begun playing with this software althought it is clear that I bought it a long time ago in a bundle with Photoshop Elements 6.0. I have no driving desire to create videos, but would like to be able to use the program to edit existing video files. I've some experience with audio editing using Audacity. I find it relatively intuitive and see some similarities between it and PE4.

I opened the program, started a new project, used Files and Folders to import a mpg file that plays fine. I dragged the file from the right pane into the one on the left and I can see video and audio tracks. I begin playing the file. I can see the video change images, but I hear no audio. I don't see a 'volume' or audio on/off switch and am at a loss how to search for such in the Help file.

I had one straightforward editing task that I could do based on images alone. I clipped the track at two points and deleted the selected portion and closed up the track. I think it is still seen as two clips, but I managed to export it as an avi file and that plays, with sound.

Now I want to edit out 40 seconds from the 30 minute mpg and export that as an avi file. My edit requires that I be able to hear the audio. How do I get access to it while editing?

thanks,

baumgrenze

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 4 - No Sound in Editing Mode
          the_wine_snob Level 9

With Audio issues, I would start with this ARTICLE.

For MPEG Audio, I would also see this ARTICLE, as Conforming can mean all the difference.

Good luck, and let us know if anything helps,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 4 - No Sound in Editing Mode
            baumgrenze Level 1

Thank you Bill,

I poked about in Edit/Preferences and found that my Audio Hardware Default Device was assigned to Premiere Elements Windows Sound and not Edirol UA-1EX. When I changed the setting the audio became available and I could procede with my edit.

Thanks again,

baumgrenze

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 4 - No Sound in Editing Mode
              the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome.

As that article states, there are a lot of places, where Audio must be set, from the system to the editing program, and then, depending on the Audio device (sound card, or chip), there might be additional places in the control console software for that device, where setting need to be made. Luckily, once the proper settings have been made, one should not have to make any changes, unless the swap out the sound device.

Also, all sound devices will require a software driver to function fully, and especially in a program, like PrE. It is a good idea to periododically update that audio driver, just like one does with the video driver. If, after all settings have been correctly applied, and the sound fails, that would be the first action - update the audio driver.

Good luck, and looks like you can mark your question as Answered. Happy editing.

Hunt