8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2012 4:38 PM by the_wine_snob

Garbelled PSD File

RabelCreative

Hello,

My specs are as follows:

Photoshop CS 5 12.0.4 x64

Mac Pro (2 Ghz Intel Core i7, 4 GB memory, AMD Radeon HD 6490M 256 MB graphics)

Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3

When I'm in photo shop doing photo editing, zooming in/out and doing lots of processor heavy maneavers, my file once in a while becomes garbelled and corrupt. Why is this happening? Is there a way of preventing it? It's annoying having to start over epsecially when you have a PSD file with many layers. See image below.

DamagedFile.jpg

Rabel Betshmuel

• 1. Re: Garbelled PSD File
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

If I remember correctly in previous threads on similar cases hardware was identified as a likely culprit – like possibly bad RAM.

Boilerplate-text:

Are Photoshop and OS fully updated?

As with all unexplainable Photoshop-problems you might try trashing the prefs (after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved and making a note of the Preferences you’ve changed) by keeping command-alt-shift pressed on starting the program or starting from a new user-account.

System Maintenance (repairing permissions, purging PRAM, running cron-scripts, cleaning caches, etc.) might also be beneficial, Onyx has been recommended for such tasks.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/onyx.html

Weeding out bad fonts never seems to be a bad idea, either. (Validate your fonts in Font Book and remove the bad ones.)

If 3rd party plug-ins are installed try disabling them to verify if one of those may be responsible for the problem.

• 2. Re: Garbelled PSD File
            Level 7

Could be a display driver issue. Try turning off OpenGL drawing and relaunching to help diagnose the problem.  If that clears it up, then you need to update your video card driver (or in the case of ATI, downgrade because 12.1 drivers have bugs).

Or it could be a corrupt file.

But I'm betting on the display driver.

• 3. Re: Garbelled PSD File
              Noel Carboni Level 8

Chris Cox wrote:

Could be a display driver issue. Try turning off OpenGL drawing and relaunching to help diagnose the problem.  If that clears it up, then you need to update your video card driver (or in the case of ATI, downgrade because 12.1 drivers have bugs).

Doesn't seem to apply to a Mac Pro, though.

-Noel

• 4. Re: Garbelled PSD File
                Curt Y Level 7

Doesn't seem to apply to a Mac Pro, though.

Believe they have to roll back with the equivalent of Windows set point.  Forget what they call it.

• 5. Re: Garbelled PSD File
                  Level 7

Whoops, misread the OS version (juggling too many reports).

MacOS 10.7 does have a lot of GL issues, many of which were fixed in 10.7.3, but not all.

Try disabling OpenGL drawing for the time being, and see if that solves the problem. (until Apple can fix more bugs in their drivers)

• 6. Re: Garbelled PSD File
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Quick question: as a PC-only guy, I have also been lead to believe that each Mac OS update also updates the video driver. I believe that is what you, Curt and then Chris, were alluding to. Is that the case, or does a Mac user still need to update their ATI/AMD drivers (and now, for some Mac's, the nVidia drivers)?

Just curious,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Garbelled PSD File
                      Noel Carboni Level 8

Apparently not, Bill.  They seem to be bundled together.  Chris implies Apple may re-engineer them, but I wonder if that's a bit of an overstatement.  I can only imagine the ATI and nVidia folks do the lion's share of the driver work, just as they do with PC.

-Noel

• 8. Re: Garbelled PSD File
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Noel,

Thanks for that info. I keep trying to get my poor PC-head around the Mac OS's, but am not doing that well.

Appreciated,

Hunt