8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2012 9:20 AM by Dave Merchant

Change password

otuatail222

I have creaded some acrobat documents. I need to send one via email I would like to change or remove the password. Seems once I have password protected it I am stuck with it.

Thanks

Desmond.

• 1. Re: Change password
          Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To remove the password change the security method 'No Security'. To change the password remove the security and set a new security method.

• 2. Re: Change password
            Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

In Acrobat X there's a dedicated "Remove security" option on the pulldown menu for the Encrypt button, to avoid having to go through the file properties dialog.

• 3. Re: Change password
              otuatail222 Level 1

I Have Adobe reader X 10.1.2

I go to File -> Properties. Then the Security tab. Only button is Show details. No option to remove the security.

Unless their is another way.

• 4. Re: Change password
                Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP

With Adobe Reader you can't change the security. Use Adobe Acrobat for this.

• 5. Re: Change password
                  otuatail222 Level 1

I am not using the reader. I am using the Adobe reader. That is odd. I have gor CS 5.5 but for some reason the Acrobat in not in the microsoft grouping of all the diffrent software.

I have after effects though to photoshop. Am I missing something here. Adobe Acrobat X is seperate from the otheres as a little red mini icon.

********** Sorry guys I am AN IDIOT. Microsoft has defaulted to use the free version to open the document. Not the X Pro version with the mini white logo.

Thanks for you help. Sorry for the mess.

Desmond.

One last hing though.

I can set it to open with minimum of Acrobat 3 up to 7.

Do you guys have any kind of realse dates for these difrent versions so I can pick a resonable version as a minimum?

• 6. Re: Change password

It really depends on who will be reading the file. Each increase in the target version allows for a more-complex encryption method for the password, but the latest versions aren't very well supported by non-Adobe software (e.g. PDF viewers on mobile devices). Having said that, the "permissions" password on a PDF file is only an illusion of security so there's not a lot of point going for the top-end encryption standard. If you're setting a "document open" password that's a different matter, as those apply real security.

otuatail222 wrote:

I can set it to open with minimum of Acrobat 3 up to 7.

Do you guys have any kind of realse dates for these difrent versions so I can pick a resonable version as a minimum?

• 7. Re: Change password
                      otuatail222 Level 1

Thanks for that. What I was thinking about is if I send a pdf that can only be opened with V7 and the guy has only V3, he will geta message "Unable to open this". so how old for example would be Acrobat reader 5. This is what I was getting at. Sending important documents to someone who can atleast open them with his version of the reader.

Thanks

Desmond.

• 8. Re: Change password

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Acrobat#Product_history

Generally speaking if you target Reader version 6, your file should be supported on any software that can open encrypted PDFs. however if your file contains features which are only supported by Adobe Reader 9 or above (such as rich media) then there's no point targeting a lower version.

If a file uses encryption which the application doesn't support, the user will normally be shown a message that the file is damaged.