18 Replies Latest reply on Feb 29, 2012 5:12 AM by Eugene Tyson

How can I create a jpeg thumbnail image?

lwood@pvcc.edu Level 1

I'd like to create a clear jpeg thumbnail image of the first page of a document created in InDesign.  It will be used in Constant Contact as a link to the online version of the document.  (Constant Contact doesn't take JPEG's)

I especially need help making it crisp and clear.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: How can I create a jpeg thumbnail image?
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Huh? First you say you want a JPG (what exactly is a clear jpg?) and then you say you can use it.

Please clarify.

Bob

• 2. Re: How can I create a jpeg thumbnail image?
            lwood@pvcc.edu Level 1

"and then you say you can use it"... ? 

I'm confused about your question about my question! LOL

Is there a way to attach a file to this forum so you can see what I'm talking about?

In Indesign I "saved as" a jpeg, reopend it in Photoshop and saved as a smaller file 150x172 but the quality isn't very good.  Do you have any tips on how to create a clear image?

• 3. Re: How can I create a jpeg thumbnail image?

Ah…by clear you mean good.

Export a PDF using the press setting and open that in Photoshop.

InDesign’s JPG export has never been all that good.

And I should have said “CAN’T” use it. Sorry.

Bob

• 4. Re: How can I create a jpeg thumbnail image?
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Bob, like me, was confused by "(Constant Contact doesn't take JPEG's)" yet you want a jpeg...

In any case you aren't likely to get anything "clear" out of any image that's only 150 x 172 pixels unless it's a solid color or something with only hard vertical and horizontal edges.

• 5. Re: How can I create a jpeg thumbnail image?
                  Rik Ramsay Level 4

It's generally all about the settings you use. To give you an example of what could help you, make sure you select a high quality jpeg (or at least medium) when exporting from InDesign. Best to keep the ppi at 72 for web but in truth doesn't make a massive difference.

InD_jpeg.jpg

Then, when opened in PS, use 'Save for web and devices' and if you are simply shrinking, just enter the new dimensions in the bottom right corner of the panel. Then, again make sure you select the right jpeg settings. Anything less that 75% will begin to look noticeably pixelated.

PS_jpeg.jpg

This might help you a little bit. If not, post your settings so we can give a clearer answer.

Rik

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How can I create a jpeg thumbnail image?
                    lwood@pvcc.edu Level 1

thank you Bob.  I'll give it a try.  Good to know InDesign isn't good with jpegs.

• 7. Re: How can I create a jpeg thumbnail image?
                      lwood@pvcc.edu Level 1

Oh!  I'm sorry I just realized I said JPEG instead of PDF! 

• 8. Re: How can I create a jpeg thumbnail image?
                        Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

PDF exported from ID will be the same size as the ID page size. I suspect you really mean you need a .png for a thumbnail, though.

That said, as I mentioned before, this isn't likely to work. Opeing an ID PDF in Photoshop rasterizes it (converts it to pixels) and a the size you are trying to reduce, you just don't have enough pixels to give you more than an icon.

• 9. Re: How can I create a jpeg thumbnail image?
                          MW Design Level 4

As Bob says, export to PDF. I'll add this. Export as a print quality PDF. Set up your PhotoShop document to the size you need. Place the PDF, don't open it. You'll end up with a high-quality PS file to save out as desired using Save for Web.

The below is one. Dimensions are different, but the ID doc size was also different.

Take care, Mike

thumbnail.jpg

• 10. Re: How can I create a jpeg thumbnail image?
                            Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What's the difference between opening the PDF in photoshop compared to placing it into the document?

I suspect no difference whatsover. Once you open or place the PDF it is rasterised.

• 11. Re: How can I create a jpeg thumbnail image?
                              M Blackburn Level 3

I question some of the assertions made here. Particularly that InDesign's jpg export is somehow inferior to a Photoshop conversion. In my tests small text exported directly from InDesign is decidedly BETTER than  PDF and subsequent rasterization by Photoshop.

I also question the logic of suggesting exporting a high quality PDF : the quality of the jpeg is ultimately restricted to the resolution of the jpeg. Any excess resolution in the PDF will be discarded by the jpeg -- and the user is talking about a jpeg that is a mere 172 pixels!! That's comparable to a letter size document output at about 20 ppi.

• 12. Re: How can I create a jpeg thumbnail image?

In some JPEG exports directly from InDesign, with text below 11.5px and rotated at an angle, sometimes the text comes out looking wobbly.

I will then export the page to PDF, and open that in Photoshop and the text is just fine.

I've tried opening the PDF and saving to JPEG from there - but again I don't get good results.

Most of the time - exporting to PDF and converting the PDF to jpeg in Photoshop yields good results.

But not all the time. Sometimes, exporting directly from InDesign will be better.

The important thing is to know the steps in all cases and use whatever one works best for your situation.

• 13. Re: How can I create a jpeg thumbnail image?

You can question it if you want, but the OP needed an alternative to what they were doing. I really don’t need to export JPGs out of InDesign on a regular basis but I’ve had enough success with the PDF to JPG process that I didn’t think it would hurt to recommend it.

Bob

• 14. Re: How can I create a jpeg thumbnail image?
                                    M Blackburn Level 3

It's not the offering of an alternative I was questioning but the assertion that InDesign doesn't do an adequate job of exporting jpegs.

I tried Eugene's "challenge" and with text of 10 pt. and 5.5 pt., rotated 33 degrees, I found no problems at all. (The file also had small text in a path around a circle from a placed AI eps.) I can't go testing every font and every situation, but in all my tests the InDesign jpg was not only better, it was hands down better.

But none of this matters if what the OP is saying is that he needs a 172 pixel jpg of an (assumed) letter size document. At that resolution, I figure text has to be around 30 pt just to be legible. He doesn't need an alternative, he needs realistic expectations.

• 15. Re: How can I create a jpeg thumbnail image?

And there will be occasions when it's not better, and there are alternative ways to get better results.

You may not have tested every situation and font, but I've done enough to know that sometimes it doesn't work as expected. And it wasn't a "challenge", it was an observation.

Here's 3 ways to make a JPEG - and the one that is the best is the one that was exported to PDF and then opened in Photoshop and then Saved as a JPEG.

.........Direct Export .........................Export PDF................................Export PDF

.....to JPEG.from ID.....................Open in Photoshop.............Save to JPEG from Acrobat.

last day.jpg ........................last-day_2.jpg ........................last day_pdf.jpg

(EDIT - The forum is adding extra compression to the images - I assure you the middle image is the best)

• 16. Re: How can I create a jpeg thumbnail image?

By the way this is the wobbly text I am talking about

lastday_web.jpg

• 17. Re: How can I create a jpeg thumbnail image?
                                          M Blackburn Level 3

FWIW You should have noticed that I used "challenge" (in quotes) to specify that it wasn't an actual challenge -- but it was something to test and supposedly a challenge to ID's jpg export.

I did a quick test of a mockup fairly close to  your example and didn't notice any problem. But really : text set on a slight angle coupled with slight baseline shifts between letters (Is that text on a path by any chance?). I  think your example could have just as easily gone either way -- i.e. you could have just as easily experienced the problem in the second workflow.

• 18. Re: How can I create a jpeg thumbnail image?

Yeh but I don't experience the same problem - that's the point. It works out differently depending on what way you set the file up.

No, it's not text on a path, it's a text frame. There's no baseline shift. It's 11/14 type

There is considerable difference in my JPEG export, perhaps it changed in CS5.5 but in CS5 this is the way it's working for me.

Again, sometimes - actually most of the time the JPEG export works fine. Just in some cases it doesn't, and I have other ways of doing it.