10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2012 6:57 AM by the_wine_snob

Audio/video sync problem, etc.

prman13 Level 1

Hi, Bill:

1. I have a number of high-res FLV files that I converted to MP4 clips to edit in PE8.  The MP4s play fine in WMP, but when imported into PE8, the audio track is slightly off with the video.  This has happened with two different clips.  Any explanation?
      2. Since the FLVs are high-res, I want to convert them to the best file format for possible DVD burning.  Should I choose an AVI format or the MP4?  The online explanation of differences are confusing to me.
      3. I used a program called Wondershare Video Converter to convert the FLV files, although I did not purchase it as yet (the trial version imprints a watermark on every frame.).  Would you recommend this program, or is there a superior one available elsewhere online.  I know there are several out there.

Thanks in advance for your help with these questions.

Barrett Kalellis

• 1. Re: Audio/video sync problem, etc.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Converting is a tricky process. You can't just convert to a format, like MP4, and assume that you've got an edit-ready file.

There's no point in keeping a hi-def (hi-res) workflow if your final output will be a DVD. DVDs are standard resolution, 720x480. So you'll save yourself a lot of time and effort (and probably produce a sharper DVD) if you just go directly to a DV file from that FLV.

I don't know and don't recommend Wondershare. Very few convertors -- particularly free ones -- produce edit-ready video files. The FAQs to the right of this forum recommend a few that do and which settings to use to output a DV-AVI from them.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317

Finally, you don't say where you're getting the FLV files that you're using as your source in the first place -- but FLVs make for one of the worst source video formats. Is it at all possible to get your original video in a format closer to an edit-ready DV-AVI?

• 2. Re: Audio/video sync problem, etc.
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with Steve on all counts.

Playing an AV file is very different than editing that same file.

If you are going to DVD, then perhaps the free converter, FLV to AVI, will help. I have used it effectively in the past, before I found Moyea's FLV Premiere Pro Importer plug-in. Note: last that I checked, that Importer was NOT ported for PrElements, and only PrPro.

For OOS issues, this ARTICLE might be helpful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Audio/video sync problem, etc.
              prman13 Level 1

Thanks to Steve and Bill for their helpful replies.

• To begin with, the source files were downloaded from various Internet sites like a live broadcast from the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra, and various hi-res (not HD) clips from YouTube (at least 600x480). In any case, these are what I have to work with (available free).  I downloaded the entire Nazi propaganda movie Jude Suess (downloadable in sections on YouTube) which need to be combined and then burned to a DVD.
              • I have to resort to a converter to be able to import the file to PE8, whereupon I can edit the file(s), and burn a DVD from there.  The ultimate goal is to produce a reasonably watchable DVD of clips that I can play on a DVD player over a TV monitor.
              • From your comments, it sounds like I should be converting the FLV files to AVIs, and not MP4s.  Are these formats identical in terms of resolution quality, regardless of the source file?
              • The bottom line: I want the best visual quality that can be attained, for viewing on the large, plasma TV screen.
              • 4. Re: Audio/video sync problem, etc.
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

DV-AVIs are standard resolution. MP4s are a completely different format and may or may not be standard or hi-def resolution.

However, if your goal is to produce a high-quality DVD, your end product will be standard definition video. There's no reason to load hi-def video into this workflow.

• 5. Re: Audio/video sync problem, etc.
                  nealeh Level 5

Use Firefox with the 'download helper' extension and you can download MP4 directly from YouTube.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: Audio/video sync problem, etc.
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

In addition to Steve's directions, the FLV's will have likely been compressed at least twice, by the time that you get them. If you convert to MP4 (H.264 CODEC), you will compress yet again, and then when you author to DVD-Video, will compress one more time, to MPEG-2 DV. While DV-AVI is slightly compressed, it will be better, than H.264, especially if you will later down-rez to DVD-Video.

An alternative to DV-AVI would be a lossless CODEC, like Lagarith Lossless, or UT Lossless, as outlined in this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Audio/video sync problem, etc.
                      prman13 Level 1

Bill,

For the record, I checked the Moyea site for the FLV Importer for Premiere and the latest version IS ported for Elements; to wit:

[SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS]

Requirements.JPG

I have downloaded the trial version, and I will see what kind of job it does.

Thanks for the referral.

Barrett Kalellis

• 8. Re: Audio/video sync problem, etc.
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Barrett,

That is great news! Going back some years, I used the PrPro version, and it worked very well indeed.

Here is hoping that the PrE version works so well for you. Please let us know.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Audio/video sync problem, etc.
                          prman13 Level 1

Bill,

I had some difficulty loading a converted file into PE8, so I contact Moyea's support team.  FWIW, here is their reply:

Snip.JPG

I am experimenting with this program now.

Barrett

• 10. Re: Audio/video sync problem, etc.
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Barrett,

That purchase is news to me. I know nothing of Foxreal. Glad that I have what I need already.

As a side note, I found Moyea's support to be very good, and worked with one tech on a few problems in the PrPro forum. Sharp gentleman, who really cared about helping users of the Moyea products.

Thank you,

Hunt