13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2012 2:49 PM by Steve Grisetti

Crawling on 1.60 GHz, 2.75 GB RAM

Mr.Handlebuck

I am running Elements 9 on a laptop with AMD Athlon Processor 2650e, 1.60 GHz, 2.75 GB of RAM, Win XP Pro, ver 2002, serv pack 3.  I know this does not meet the minimum specs but this is all I have right now. I expected it to run really slow but it locks up and has to shut down after about 10 min of work. Is there anything I can do to get through this standard resolution project? I would tell you the specs about my project but it takes many tries just to get Elements to open and I haven’t been able to lately. Signed -Penny Pinching in Sac.

• 1. Re: Crawling on 1.60 GHz, 2.75 GB RAM
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There is no way to improve the performance of version 9 on that computer, Mr. H. It's simply far too underpowered to edit anything except possibly tape-based, standard definition miniDV video. (The fact that it's a laptop -- and that you've not even got a full 4 gig RAM load -- only makes it worse.)

You also don't say how much free, clean, defragmented space is on our C drive, but that too could be contributing to your stability issues. You'll need at least 20-30 gigs of free, defragmented space on your C drive just to open the program -- and much more if you're doing your editing on it.

Meantime, if you do have 100 gigs of free space and you are trying to edit video from a miniDV camcorder, you may be able to squeeze some performance out of your system by running a Deep Care tune-up on it with Advanced System Care Free.

http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html

But there is simply no way to get any more of video editing power out of that little laptop, Mr. H. Sorry.

• 2. Re: Crawling on 1.60 GHz, 2.75 GB RAM
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

I know this does not meet the minimum specs but this is all I have right now.

That pretty much says it all. Personally, I feel that Adobe's Minimum System Requirements are too low, being just adequate for the program to launch, but short for doing much work in it.

This ARTICLE will tell you how to get the best out of what you have, but being below the Minimum System Requirements, I would not hold out much hope.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Crawling on 1.60 GHz, 2.75 GB RAM
              Mr.Handlebuck Level 1

Thank you so much for the feedback.

Would this computer work?

Dell OptiPlex 760/SDT, Core 2 Duo (E8400) 3.00 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 150 GB HDD, DVDRW, 32-bit Windows Vista Business

Would 4gb of RAM be better?

-Randy

• 4. Re: Crawling on 1.60 GHz, 2.75 GB RAM
                Mr.Handlebuck Level 1

Thank you so much for the feedback.

Would this computer work?

Dell OptiPlex 760/SDT, Core 2 Duo (E8400) 3.00 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 150 GB HDD, DVDRW, 32-bit Windows Vista Business

Would 4gb of RAM be better?

-Randy

• 5. Re: Crawling on 1.60 GHz, 2.75 GB RAM

This computer would work for tape-based video.

If you are editing hi-def video from a storage camcorder, such as AVCHD, you would probably find it frustrating to work on this computer.

• 6. Re: Crawling on 1.60 GHz, 2.75 GB RAM
                    Mr.Handlebuck Level 1

So what is the optimum processor speed, RAM, HD etc to be able to edit HD video from a non-tape based camera?

I have no problem making the investment I just want to make sure I make the right purchase.

• 7. Re: Crawling on 1.60 GHz, 2.75 GB RAM
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Some ideas for a Desktop Video Editing PC

http://www.adkvideoediting.com/

-ADK Kudos http://forums.adobe.com/thread/877201

-and Build http://forums.adobe.com/thread/947698

UK http://3xs.scan.co.uk/Category.asp?SystemMasterCategoryID=14

Some ideas for a Laptop Video Editing PC from past discussions

http://www.sagernotebook.com/

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/957472

http://www.adkvideoediting.com/systems/viewsystem.cfm?recordid=118

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=637440&csid=ITD &recordsPerPage=10#

-NOTE only 1 hard drive in above, so you will need to add a 2nd drive or use eSata for video files

-or Google "ASUS G74SX-BBK7" (without the quote "" marks)

For effective HD video editing, a laptop with the following

-the newer Intel sandy bridge 2720 or 2820 quad processor

-and nvidia graphics preferably the 460m, 485m is a bit much

-1280x900 display with OpenGL 2.0-compatible graphics card

-and 8 or 16 gig ram and Win7 64bit Pro

-and 2 internal 7200 HDDs minimum

• 8. Re: Crawling on 1.60 GHz, 2.75 GB RAM

You still haven't told us what model of camcorder your video is coming from.

But the ideal editing maching for high-def AVCHD would be a quad core ori7 processor with 4-6 gigs of RAM and two hard drives (one drive for programs, the other for project files and media). Intel processors seems to work better with this program than AMD, but many people are using AMDs without problems also. I'd also recommend staying with the major brands, like HP, Dell and of course Apple. Many budget computers, like Gateway and eMachines, use lower end hardware that may or may not be as consistently reliable.

• 9. Re: Crawling on 1.60 GHz, 2.75 GB RAM
                          Mr.Handlebuck Level 1

I would be happy if I can just edit standard definition video within my budget. The camera I am using records SD-video MPEG-2 on a SDHC memory card. Yeh, I know, but I have two teenagers in college and that is all I can afford. FYI- I was in the TV business for 20+ years and I am finally learning computer editing. If I had two ¾” tape machines and an edit controller I would have been done months ago, dag nabbit!

Would this computer from Dell work to complete a 60 min max. SD-video project?

Inspiron 620 Minitower

2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-2320 processor (3.0GHz with 6MB Cache)

1TB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English

6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz- 2 DIMMs

16X DVD+/-RW Drive

Intel® HD Graphics

Integrated 8 in 1 Media Card Reader

Standard USB 2.0 + 10/100/1000 Ethernet

Integrated 5.1

Dell Wireless 1502 (802.11n) WLAN mini-Card

$550.00

Thank you so much for your help on this.

• 10. Re: Crawling on 1.60 GHz, 2.75 GB RAM
                            Mr.Handlebuck Level 1

I would be happy if I can just edit standard definition video within my budget. The camera I am using records SD-video MPEG-2 on a SDHC memory card. Yeh, I know, but I have two teenagers in college and that is all I can afford. FYI- I was in the TV business for 20+ years and I am finally learning computer editing. If I had two ¾” tape machines and an edit controller I would have been done months ago, dag nabbit!

Would this computer from Dell work to complete a 60 min max. SD-video project?

Inspiron 620 Minitower

2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-2320 processor (3.0GHz with 6MB Cache)

1TB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English

6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz- 2 DIMMs

16X DVD+/-RW Drive

Intel® HD Graphics

Integrated 8 in 1 Media Card Reader

Standard USB 2.0 + 10/100/1000 Ethernet

Integrated 5.1

Dell Wireless 1502 (802.11n) WLAN mini-Card

$550.00

Thank you so much for your help on this.

• 11. Re: Crawling on 1.60 GHz, 2.75 GB RAM
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

For SD editing, that computer should be OK. One thing that will boost performance with SD editing would be to add a second, physical HDD, and Move your Projects, media and output files to that, freeing up the C:\ for the OS and programs.

Setting up your Project to match that MPEG-2 footage will go a long way to smoothing things out. What New Project Preset do you use?

Also, as Effects are added, or any overlay, such as a PiP, or Title are added, Rendering the Timeline (hit Enter key), will give you the smoothest possible playback.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - back when I started, there was only direct feed through a switcher, or recording to 2" tape in the studio. Our video tape editing consisted of using a razor blade, a cutting block and splicing tape. Deck to deck editing was still in the future, as was ENG. That was probably why I stayed with film for so very long. However, with what can be done digitally today, I never look back!

• 12. Re: Crawling on 1.60 GHz, 2.75 GB RAM
                                Mr.Handlebuck Level 1

Thank you so much for your help. It's nice to hear from someone who remembers when cameras had tubes in them.

-Randy

• 13. Re: Crawling on 1.60 GHz, 2.75 GB RAM

It should be able to -- if you select for your settings Hard Disk Camcorder/ Standard Definition.