12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 29, 2012 2:23 PM by Marian Driscoll

trouble changing color of PSD file of a logo

Johnny the boy Level 1

I have a PSD file that has a logo in white against a black background.  I know how to change the black background to another color but I do not know how to change the white logo to another color and maintain the existing fade effect.  The outer edges of the white logo fade into the black background.

If I was to change the black background to a green background (#808A53) then I would like to know how to make the white logo fade into the then green background.

Ultimately I would like to make the white logo a red color (#7d110c) that fades into a green background (#808A53) but I do not know how to do this as I am a novice with Photoshop.

The PSD file I referred to is hosted here http://www.indiana.edu/~iutreas/img/blockiu.psd.

Help on the technique or instructions I need to use would be greatly appreciated as this has had me stuck for awhile.

• 1. Re: trouble changing color of PSD file of a logo
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

What kind of fade?

Would a Layer Mask (possibly on a Group) suffice?

Anyway, can’t you just load the Layer’s transparency (command-click the layer’s icon in the Layers Panel) and use it as a Layer Mask for a Solid Color Layer?

blockiuScr.jpg

blockiuScr2.jpg

• 2. Re: trouble changing color of PSD file of a logo
            Noel Carboni Level 8

Well, first, that image is not very large, at 22 x 28 pixels.  The logo design no doubt came from a higher resolution file at some point.  But if this is the size you need, one way you could change it, since your image is separated into logo and background, is by doing a fairly simple fills...

Since the background layer is solid, you could just set a foreground color of #808A53 and fill it with the bucket tool.

Since the foreground is a layer with transparency, if you have Photoshop CS5 an easy way to separate the pixels from the transparency is to use the Photoshop Layer - Layer Mask - From Transparency.  Then you can just fill the entire foreground with the #7D110C red color you want.

ColoredIU.jpg

If you don't have Photoshop CS5's Layer Mask - From Transparency feature, you could use a Curves operation on the top (currently white) layer to move the white points of the red, green, and blue curves to output values of 125, 17, and 12 decimal.

Edit:  One has to be quick to beat Christoph to the answer! 

-Noel

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: trouble changing color of PSD file of a logo
              Level 5

Johnny the boy wrote:

...I do not know how to change the white logo to another color and maintain the existing fade effect...

May I recommend baby steps before the more complex direction? What is a layer mask?

logo.png

1. Highlight the logo layer in the layers panel.
              2. Click the "Lock transparent pixels" icon (circled in red).
              3. Paint your color with a brush or bucket.

An ideal way to advance from the 'novice' level is to get a book about Photoshop from your library. You can learn about layer masks there.

• 4. Re: trouble changing color of PSD file of a logo
                Johnny the boy Level 1

Thanks for all the helpful advice.  Yes I definitely need baby steps as I am a beginner and no really sure how to deal with transparencies but I got it to work based on the advice offered.  Thank you very much.

• 5. Re: trouble changing color of PSD file of a logo
                  Rik Ramsay Level 4

For what you're looking to do, the layer effects might be easier/quicker for you.

If the logo is already white, use the 'fx' icon in the layers panel and select either color or gradient overlay. You can then adjust the settings as you need without affecting anything else in the document. In the gradient overlay, just set one colour to your green, and the other to red.

• 6. Re: trouble changing color of PSD file of a logo
                    Bo LeBeau Level 4

Yeesh, why not just go to the Indiana University page for logos to download http://creativeservices.iu.edu/resources/print.shtml

You could download a nice vector logo and stop messing with a tiny pixelated logo.

Of course, you should use Adobe Illustrator to alter the logo not Photoshop which will just rasterize the whole thing

iu201block.png

Remember, Google is your friend.

• 7. Re: trouble changing color of PSD file of a logo
                      Level 5

It does not appear that johnny is using the wrong size or format. He is a web designer.

Everyone is overthinking this.

• 8. Re: trouble changing color of PSD file of a logo
                        Noel Carboni Level 8

Marian Driscoll wrote:

Everyone is overthinking this.

Heh, sometimes if one suggests doing simple pixel editing, one may be accused of not offering the best technique for best document maintainability.  However, if one points out the intergalactic standard method for using 900 layers, masks, vectors, and whatnot to achieve something simple, one can be accused of overthinking.

Thing is, with this thread, we've identified a bunch of different ways to do the task, from wild to mild, every one leading to a successful result.  I honestly think it doesn't get any better than this.  The thread is practically a tutorial in itself.  Great job, everyone!

-Noel

• 9. Re: trouble changing color of PSD file of a logo
                          Level 5

The original post illustrated someone who had less than an hour's worth of experience in Photoshop.  While everyone is certainly welcome to confuse/overwhelm a new user with 20+ techniques, it seems ideal to answer the question to their level of understanding and encourage the user to learn more in a structured environment.

My comment about "overthinking" was in response to someone that exclaimed "Yeesh" because they thought that the OP was using the wrong image. It seems that someone else thought that the image was "not very large" as well.

• 10. Re: trouble changing color of PSD file of a logo
                            Noel Carboni Level 8

Marian Driscoll wrote:

My comment about "overthinking"...

...did in fact Include the word "Everyone". 

But I'm not being critical of you; I understood you and I think you did a great job of answering the question.  This thread now stands as a great list of different techniques for anyone who happens upon it in the future, as well as a good reference for Johnny the boy as he increases his Photoshop prowess.  Like I said, it's hard to imagine the forum getting any better than this.

-Noel

• 11. Re: trouble changing color of PSD file of a logo
                              Bo LeBeau Level 4

The point I was making is that it is always better to deal with a high quality original.

The OP said: change the white logo to another color and maintain the existing fade effect.  The outer edges of the white logo fade into the black background.

I would like to make the white logo a red color (#7d110c) that fades into a green background.

The "fade effect" is NOT part of the logo. They are artifacts and the result of pixelation when shrinking the logo to 28x22 px.

If you want, you can go to: http://visualidentity.iu.edu/media/marks.shtml and download a large jpg 1000x1286 px and work on that.

WIth a large good quality original the OP could very easily select and changes the colors in Photoshop. It would also be clear that there is NO FADE EFFECT.

He could then use Save for Web & Devices from the File menu in Photoshop to easily resize the logo to his desired size, whether very large or very small, it is within his control,

We don't know the size that he wanted to end up with.

Yes, sometimes it takes a bit of searching, but it is much easier to work with high quality originals than extremely pixelated copies.

I'll bet that if the OP had found the large high quality logo that he would have been able to do this by himself and probably would have never needed to come to this forum for help.

Here is something that is only 1/4 of the size of the original.

IU-large.jpg

• 12. Re: trouble changing color of PSD file of a logo
                                Level 5

Bo, you are still overthinking this.

The 'fade effect' is better known as 'antialiasing'. You've even got that fade effect/antialiasing on the larger image you have prepared. It appears in the diagonal lines. You cannot and should not avoid it.

Bo LeBeau wrote:

...We don't know the size that he wanted to end up with...

I'm not reading anywhere in this discussion that johnny is trying to resize this graphic.