15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2012 3:01 PM by Matt Dubuque

Can I Collaborate Using Just PrPro Files with a Colleague in London?

Matt Dubuque Level 1

Hello,

I am in the US and have a colleague in London.  I would like to collaborate with her on the final edits to my film and on the conversion to DVD.

May I exchange PrPro files with her via YouSendIt or something like that?  I'm worried that such a process may not include all the necessary "pointers".

Thanks for your help.

Matt Dubuque

• 1. Re: Can I Collaborate Using Just PrPro Files with a Colleague in London?
          lasvideo Level 4

It all depends how much media you have, how fast your internet connection is, if you both agree on NTSC or PAL, both have similar systems to handle whatever format your media is, and it would help if you are both running the same version of PrP though that can be worked around. Sending lots of media can be a slow painful process if you are doing a HD project. As I said, it depends...

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can I Collaborate Using Just PrPro Files with a Colleague in London?
            Matt Dubuque Level 1

Thanks. LAS video.

There are some things in my favor.

It is only 12 minutes of video and we both agree on NTSC.   So time constraints would be likely less catastrophic than if it were a 90 minute project.

My principal concern is about the "pointers" which are still a little mysterious to me.

My principal inquiry is whether, slow as it may be, if I send her the PrPro file that it will contain ALL the assets she would need to perform additional edits or will some assets not be conveyed during this admittedly slow process?

Matt

• 3. Re: Can I Collaborate Using Just PrPro Files with a Colleague in London?
              lasvideo Level 4

Im theorizing since I have never done this process, but if you both have all the media needed in the project from day 1, you might want to consider exchanging XML files which are kind of generic blueprints of your project. If you are just doing cuts and dissolveds this would work. If you ae doing more, like titles or dynamically linked AE projects then I dont think it will work and you wound need to exhange PrP project files and additional media. You should be able to manually link any media you add as time goes on.

The best way to know is to test the process before committing to the project.

• 4. Re: Can I Collaborate Using Just PrPro Files with a Colleague in London?
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>principal concern is about the "pointers"

If your drive letters and folder names are the same, you "should" be able to send your project files and video back and forth

I don't do that, so not sure... give it a try, and report back

• 5. Re: Can I Collaborate Using Just PrPro Files with a Colleague in London?
                  Matt Dubuque Level 1

Any other thoughts anyone?

I am not dynamically linking to any AE projects and I don't want to work with XML files.

If I just provide the PrPro files, will that fail to include all the assets?

Much appreciated.

Matt

• 6. Re: Can I Collaborate Using Just PrPro Files with a Colleague in London?
                    lasvideo Level 4

Even if your drive names (Mac) / letters(PC) and folder names are not the same, Im sure you should be able to manually link them.

• 7. Re: Can I Collaborate Using Just PrPro Files with a Colleague in London?
                      Matt Dubuque Level 1

John, thanks; what folders are you referring to?

Sorry, I fear that is a dumb question, but I do not know the answer.

Matt

• 8. Re: Can I Collaborate Using Just PrPro Files with a Colleague in London?
                        lasvideo Level 4

You must send both the Project file and any new media files that the other persona doesnt already have.

• 9. Re: Can I Collaborate Using Just PrPro Files with a Colleague in London?
                          lasvideo Level 4

Relink an offline clip

You can link an offline clip to a source file, even to a source file different from the one from which the offline clip was made. The linked source file appears anywhere the offline clip is used in a project. It is possible, for example, to edit an online clip in a sequence, make its source offline, and link the offline clip to another source file. The new source appears in the sequence wherever the original one did.

You can link offline clips to video files, audio files, and still-image files. However, you cannot link an offline clip to a still-image sequence different from its original source file. Instead, import new still-image sequences, and place them into timelines manually.

You can link an offline clip containing audio to a source file containing no audio. Premiere Pro deletes the audio track in all instances of the relinked clip from the project.

Note:  To link the audio of a new source file, the source file must have the same type of audio track as the offline clip. For example, if the offline clip has a stereo audio track, you cannot link it to a source file with a monaural audio track.

1. In the Project panel, select one or more offline clips.
                          2. Choose Project > Link Media.
                          3. Select the source file, and click Select.

Note:  If you selected more than one offline clip, the Link Media To dialog box appears in turn for each clip you selected. The title bar of the dialog box gives the filename for each offline clip. Relink the correct source file to each offline clip. If all of the offline clips selected point to media in the same folder, the Link MediaTo dialog asks for the first file, then links the selected offline clips to all the files in the same folder as the file selected. If you link to a file from a different project, and if that project has the same folder structure and folder names as the first project, the Link Media To dialog box asks for the first file, and then links the selected offline clips to all the files in the other project.

4. (Optional) If you selected a source file containing no audio to link to an offline clip containing audio, the Media Mismatch dialog box appears. Do one of the following:
                            • To delete the audio track from all instances of the offline clip from the project click OK.
                            • To cancel linking to the source file, and retain the audio track in all instances of the offline clip, click Cancel.

In Premiere Pro CS5.5 and later, in the Project panel, you can choose Clip>Make Offline for any merged clip. When making any merged clip offline, all component clips will also be become offline. However, you can use the Relink command to link to the desired tracks, while leaving others offline.

• 10. Re: Can I Collaborate Using Just PrPro Files with a Colleague in London?
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

if I send her the PrPro file that it will contain ALL the assets she would need to perform additional edits

No it will not.  The only "asset" contained within the project file are Premiere Pro titles.  All other assets - video, audio, images - will need to be sent in addition to the project file.

• 12. Re: Can I Collaborate Using Just PrPro Files with a Colleague in London?
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Matt,

The way I do this kind of stuff is making a new directory with all the files by using project manager, .zip this file and put it on the website for download. Then my partner in crime has all the source material and the project file. Whenever I modify the project, all I need to do is upload the project file to the website and tell him that I modified the project file. The asset files remain unchanged, so that download is very small.

This is the way Bill Gehrke and I use to develop the PPBM6 benchmark program. Initially with all the assets, this is a 1.2 GB zip file to upload / download, but then it becomes a lot easier and faster.

• 13. Re: Can I Collaborate Using Just PrPro Files with a Colleague in London?
                                Matt Dubuque Level 1

Super, thanks Harm!

That sounds very doable.

Does the analysis change if the project has been fully rendered?

Matt

• 14. Re: Can I Collaborate Using Just PrPro Files with a Colleague in London?
                                  SFL46 Level 3

No, the render files are temporary files generated on your system whenever to ask for a render.  They are for improving playback only.

You wouldn't send these files.  SInce the files do not exist on the other system, PrPro will recreate them when that user asks for the sequence to be rendered.

One additional thought not mentioned above: if you have used third party pluggins, the other system must have the same pluggins.  The project file only contains the "parameter script" for the effect--if it can't find the pluggin, then the other user will get an error message.

• 15. Re: Can I Collaborate Using Just PrPro Files with a Colleague in London?
                                    Matt Dubuque Level 1

Thanks so much everyone.

My question, which was very important to me, was quickly and comprehensively answered.

I appreciate it very much!

Sincerely,

Matt Dubuque
                                    Twitter Time