18 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2012 3:48 PM by Nikki_86

Weird Error with imported (streamed) FLV

Draco18s Level 1

The error being thrown is "The video player is in the connection error state. It enters this state when a video stream attempted to load but was unsuccessful. There are two possible reasons for the error: no connection to the server or the stream was not found."

The reason it's weird is that the video plays just fine when the program is run.

The error only pops up at random, generally when I'm doing other things (editing objects, drawing, selecting objects, navigating the timeline) and not when I'm actually compiling or running the application.

The video is being streamed locally, so there's no issue connecting to a server, and the file exists, so it's not missing.

WTH?

• 1. Re: Weird Error with imported (streamed) FLV
          adninjastrator Level 4

Can you clarify if you are using an actual RTMP streaming video (from Flash Media Sever, Red5, etc. installed on your local machine) or are you simply loading a .flv file stored on the local machine.

How is the video being played? FLVPlayback or NetStream?

Adninjastrator

• 2. Re: Weird Error with imported (streamed) FLV
            Draco18s Level 1

I dragged the file from my desktop into Flash CS5.5 and used the import wizard to set up a streaming FLVplayer object.

The object can tell me the cuepoints in the file, but is not showing any visuals from the first frame (it was, earlier, but after a couple of "add a video, rename the rest, manually edit the video source" operations somehow something broke).

I am not using ANY KIND of media server (Red5, etc.).

• 3. Re: Weird Error with imported (streamed) FLV
              adninjastrator Level 4

If you are not using a streaming media server like FMS or Red5, then you are not "streaming" the video, you are progressive downloading the .flv.

I think you may have checked the wrong box in the import wizard. You selected "Straming server" when you really needed "Progressive Download" or "Play video from your computer".

The reason for the error is that the video player is attempting to connect to a streaming media sever and is not able to.... hence the error message.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

• 4. Re: Weird Error with imported (streamed) FLV
                Draco18s Level 1

Reimported video.

Selected "Load external video with playback component."

Clicked next

Selected skin: none

Clicked next

Clicked finish.

At no time was I asked for a media server or indicate I was using one.

Imediately after clicking Finish, I get the error again (twice).

• 5. Re: Weird Error with imported (streamed) FLV
                  adninjastrator Level 4

How was this step done... exact details please:

Reimported video.

• 6. Re: Weird Error with imported (streamed) FLV
                    Draco18s Level 1

...Read the rest of my post?  I dragged the file from it's location to the stage and Flash broght up the import wizard, which I did the above steps.  They're all the default options, really, but I did list them.

• 7. Re: Weird Error with imported (streamed) FLV
                      adninjastrator Level 4

Now sure where is location is (library, external folder, etc) or how the "drag from location" works

I dragged the file from it's location to the stage

please walk me thru exact steps.

• 8. Re: Weird Error with imported (streamed) FLV
                        Draco18s Level 1

The flv resides in a folder that is inside the same folder as the FLA and I drag it from that open folder to the CS5.5 interface.  I'm honestly not sure how hard of a concept that is to grasp.

• 9. Re: Weird Error with imported (streamed) FLV
                          adninjastrator Level 4

Ok, this time thru the post I see you were dragging from desktop...OK

The error message you are seeing is because Flash is reading that the video file is coming from a streaming server and Flash is unable to connect to the server..... that's the cause of the error.

Exactly why you are seeing that error message if you did not select between local or remote streaming, I don't know.

I can not reproduce the import wizard actions you are seeing, I am always given the option to choose between remote stream on FMS or file on local folder.

Drag and drop is not your only option.

So how about you just place the FLVPlayback on the stage (from Menu/Window/Components) and then highlight the component "Params" down in the property panel and set the "contentPath" to the video file there.

Adninjastrator

• 10. Re: Weird Error with imported (streamed) FLV
                            adninjastrator Level 4

Hey I'm just trying to help!

In my experience of producing thousands of Web videos (both progressive download as well as streaming video), I have never done a drag/drop.... not even once, nor have I ever used the FLVPlayback component for any of my own videos.

All the video players I use are hand coded NetStream players, most with xml playlists. I'm just coming from a little different background.

So how about this.... I won't give you a hard time about not knowing the difference between streaming video and progressive download video and you don't give me a hard time when I ask about exactly how you "drag and drop, etc"?

Adninjastrator

• 11. Re: Weird Error with imported (streamed) FLV
                              Draco18s Level 1

All I can say is:

Achievement Unlocked: The Blind Leading The Blind.

• 12. Re: Weird Error with imported (streamed) FLV
                                adninjastrator Level 4

Not sure exactly who the blind leading blind is here.

I answered a post titled "Weird Error with imported (streamed) FLV".... which of course it wasn't really a streamed video.

I described what the cause of the error message was.

I also offered a work around rather than using the drag and drop method (the least recommended... if it's even recommended at all)... of implementing video in Flash.

Review implementing video in Flash here:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/flash/cs/using/WSb03e830bd6f770ee-70a39d612436d472f4-7ff8.html

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/flash/cs/using/WSb03e830bd6f770ee-70a39d612436d472f4-8000.html

Adninjastrator

• 13. Re: Weird Error with imported (streamed) FLV
                                  Draco18s Level 1

By "blind leading the blind" I meant that I'm blind (because I have no idea what this error is) and that you're blind (because you've never done what I'm doing).

So I called it the wrong kind of embedded video.  I'd fix it if I could.

Also, thank you SO MUCH </sarcasm> for linking me to some help pages that don't actually address my problem.

Also, FYI, drag-and-drop is identical to File > Import > Import Video, the most common method of playing flvs inside of a swf.

• 14. Re: Weird Error with imported (streamed) FLV
                                    adninjastrator Level 4

I didn't say I've never done a drag/drop.... After learning how to use that option many years ago, I've just never chosen to use that method for any of my Web videos. The drag/drop as well as the Import Video wizard are very "Flash 101ish" and often present problems for inexperienced users..... as you are seeing.

When I trouble shoot problems posted here I try to recreate the exact steps used in an attempt to replicate the problem so it can be solved. While you might find that frustrating to describe... it often resolves the problem.

So I would venture to say that I have a little more experience than you in all aspects of Flash video.

You may have missed it in my earlier response but I said that I could not replicate your problem (following the steps you describe), I was always presented with the option to choose between streaming server and local file.... which the links above pointed out.

I stick by the reason I gave for the error, Flash is assuming you are attempting to connect to a streaming server and because no RTMP URL is listed, the connection always fails... hence the error message

There was also the suggesting to place the FLVPlayback on the stage manually and set contentPath.... bypassing any Import Wizard problems..

If those offers/suggestions don't satify you... oh well, I'll move on

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

• 15. Re: Weird Error with imported (streamed) FLV
                                      Draco18s Level 1

adninjastrator wrote:

You may have missed it in my earlier response but I said that I could not replicate your problem (following the steps you describe), I was always presented with the option to choose between streaming server and local file.... which the links above pointed out.

My mistake, I meant that I didn't see options to set it up, as I was not using streamed video:

Selected "Load external video with playback component."

That right there is the option that is mutally exclusive with streamed-from-a-server video and should have answered your question quite nicely.

I stick by the reason I gave for the error, Flash is assuming you are attempting to connect to a streaming server and because no RTMP URL is listed, the connection always fails... hence the error message

There was also the suggesting to place the FLVPlayback on the stage manually and set contentPath.... bypassing any Import Wizard problems..

Adding the component directly and setting the video path has no effect on the error.  That is, I still get it.

• 16. Re: Weird Error with imported (streamed) FLV
                                        adninjastrator Level 4

Now you might be getting some place. Same error with wizard and manual component add....that's trouble shooting...

Oh and you can load external video just fine from a streaming server as well as from a local file... doesn't exclude anything.

Are you on a Mac by any chance? Flash and Mac seem to have more than their share of problems.

I don't believe there is any "Preference" setting to choose "load local file" over "remote streaming server"...

So.....I'd say that since that error occurs both with/without wizard, you have something broken in the Flash. You may need to try the Adobe service line.

While you wait, Google the error message, see what's out there.

The video player is in the connection error state. It enters this state when a video stream attempted to load but was unsuccessful

For example:

http://www.justanswer.com/mac-computers/4hcxb-colleague-trying-put-together-flash-package. html

Adninjastator

• 17. Re: Weird Error with imported (streamed) FLV
                                          Draco18s Level 1

1) I know how to troubleshoot, thanks.  If it had resolved my issue, you think I'd have posted in the first place?  (Yeah, that's right, I tried that before I posted).

2) Loading an extral video from a streaming server is not an option here, I don't have one.

3) Not on a Mac, in fact, my coworker who took a copy of the .fla from me does not see the error.  Heck, he did some edits, saved it, handed it back to me and LO AND BEHOLD, I still get the error.

4) I don't know what you mean by a preferences setting

5) Google: derp derp, I tried that, no one is having the same issue I am and did not resolve the issue.  I'm a proponent of LMGTFY, so again, I'd tried that before I posted.

6) That link

Expert's Answer

Although it may seem like because this file is on your hard drive, it's not "streaming" but all flash files are built to load by streaming, even if its "streaming" from the hard drive.

HOLY ****, LOOK AT THAT, MY THREAD TITLE ISN'T WRONG AT ALL. :|

Final solution from that link?  Reinstall Flash. :|

• 18. Re: Weird Error with imported (streamed) FLV
                                            Nikki_86

I registered after reading this. I came across the same error message from attempting the same thing; draging and dropping. Then I took the steps to import the flv file and all worked properly. Thanks!