6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2012 2:33 PM by Noel Carboni

basic smart object question

StanWelks Level 1

1. I notice if I drag an image from my desktop into PS it automatically becomes a Smart Object. How can I designate any other image/layer as a Smart Object?

2. What happens to my .PSD if the Smart Object is moved from its location or deleted?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: basic smart object question
          PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

Hello, Stan, you can change that SO behavior from the preferences.

1) If you right-click on a layer in the layers panel, you can select to convert it to a SO

2) Once it is a smart object, it is embedded in the file, you can delete it from your desktop, if you want. (remember to save the file it's placed into, of course)

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: basic smart object question
            StanWelks Level 1

I thought the idea of the Smart Object is that if the original file is changed, the changes will cascade into the PS file. If the Smart Object is simply embedded into the PS file, then how does that work?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: basic smart object question
              Level 7

Smart Objects are embedded - there is no connection to the original file.

• 4. Re: basic smart object question
                Noel Carboni Level 8

To further that, when you double-click a smart object to modify it, Photoshop seems to create a temporary external file (or maybe it just looks that way) in the process of editing it, but once you save/exit that document it's written back into the original document.

-Noel

• 5. Re: basic smart object question
                  JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Noel Carboni wrote:

To further that, when you double-click a smart object to modify it, Photoshop seems to create a temporary external file (or maybe it just looks that way) in the process of editing it, but once you save/exit that document it's written back into the original document.

-Noel

Photoshop does open a new work document when you double-click on a smart object icon in the layers palette in a smat object layer.   If you save that using menu File>Save a temp files is written/saved and that file is use to replace the embeded smart object in the document that the smart object icon was doubled clicked on in Photoshop's layers palette. The layer smart object is updated but not commited to disk till the document itself is saved, The work document can then be close after the save it no longer needed for the smart object was updated during the save. The only reasion I wrote this was because Noel wrote written back into the original document rather the stateing that the embedded smart object is updated for many I think written may mean disk not document in memory.  The file that is writtem during the save is written into the users temp file folder which is hidden from users view by Microsoft's default view setting,

• 6. Re: basic smart object question
                    Noel Carboni Level 8

Good point, I differentiate "document" as the thing in Photoshop's memory vs. "file" as the thing on disk.

-Noel