4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2012 5:37 AM by SFL46

How to capture DV video using IEEE 1394 connection - an outline

cvid01 Level 4

Getting DV video into Premiere Pro (Windows 7)

1. Start your computer to home page.
      2. Make sure your IEEE 1394 device is connected with a Legacy Driver:

(a) Press "Windows key"

Click on Control Panel

Click on Device Manager

Open drop down for IEEE 1394 Controller. If device controller contains "(Legacy)", then your IEEE 1394 is properly set up. If not, then:

Right click on the controller and click on Update Driver Software...

Click on:           Browse My computer for driver software, then on

Let me pick from list of device drivers on my computer

Highlight the Legacy model

e.g. 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)

Click Next to install. Then close your menus to get back to Windows home screen.

3.   Connect your DV device via your IEEE 1394 (firewire) cable. You should see something like this:

CaptureDVDevice.PNG

The above confirms your DV device is connected. You can start Premiere Pro from the AutoPlay box, or close it and then start Premiere Pro.

4. Open Premiere Pro if you closed the box and open an already named project or start a new one.

5. If you have a CUDA enabled graphics card that uses the Mercury Playback Engine, open the Project item on the menu, click on Project Setting, General, and change "Video Rendering and Playback" "Renderer" to software only as shown below:

CaptureProjectSettings.PNG

5. Go to Edit, Preferences, Device Control,

- If Devices is shown as None, Choose DV/HDV Device

- Open Options which should look something like this:

CaptureDeviceControl.PNG

Note, I am using a Sony DSR 11, but from the drop-down menus choose your device.

6. Open the Sequence menu item and click on Sequence Settings and then in that menu, click on Playback Settings and setup similar to this:

CapturePlaybackSet.PNG

Ensure the External Device is chosen as DV, etc. The other settings are based upon your preferences.

1. 7. Then press F5 to open your capture menu. Click on Settings, upper right, then check to see if the correct device is shown next to Current Device (middle lower right). If not, then click on Options... under "Device Control" and define your connected DV device, as, for example:

CaptureF5.PNG

Of course, you would change the settings if your device is not a Sony DSR 11.

Complete your capture settings, and have fun capturing DV video.

NOTE: There are other shortcuts to menu items, I have shown one basic way of setting the DV capture. Any errors or omissions will surely be pointed out by those more expert than I. I am merely including this to have a summary of what is in the forum to date since I noticed that quite a few people had problems with setting up capturing DV tape to Premiere. I use Premiere Pro CS5.5.

• 1. Re: How to capture DV video using IEEE 1394 connection - an outline
          Jim_Simon Level 8

2. isn't always necessary.  I've never had an issue capturing with the native Win 7 driver.

5. also isn't necessary.  Capture works just fine with hardware acceleration on.  (What you can't do here is output video with it on, but capture works fine.)

3 and 4 might not always be the correct order.  I had a system that would only work right if I started Premiere Pro first, then connected the device, waited for Windows to see it, and then opened the capture pane.  Any other sequence and capture just wouldn't work.

6. has nothing at all to do with capture.

I understand the goal here, but I really feel your guide is filled with some misinformation.

• 2. Re: How to capture DV video using IEEE 1394 connection - an outline
            SFL46 Level 3

You might want to include the settings on the camera or deck.  The DV or HDV setting on the deck or camera must match the material on the tape and the corresponding settings in Pr Pro.  Note that the camera's AUTO setting (DV, HD, Auto) may not make the right choice which will prevent capture.  Some decks and cameras will require you to connect and disconnect the IEEE 1394 cable after making a change.

• 3. Re: How to capture DV video using IEEE 1394 connection - an outline
              Jim_Simon Level 8

That's not entirely accurate either SFL.  You can downscale an HDV original "in camera" to capture in DV if you want.

• 4. Re: How to capture DV video using IEEE 1394 connection - an outline
                SFL46 Level 3

Thank you Jim

I'll correct my post (for some reason the board doesn't offer me the option to edit my original post???)

You might want to include the settings on the camera or deck.  The DV or HDV setting on the deck or camera must match the setting in Pr Pro and the format of the material on the tape.  If you are downconverting HDV to DV in the camera, set the option to DV.  Note that the camera's AUTO setting (DV/HDV/AUTO) may not make the right choice, which will usually prevent capture.  Some decks and cameras will require you to disconnect and reconnect the IEEE1394 cable after making a change.