4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2012 5:22 PM by TᴀW

I need to set up my indesign plugin as a trial WITHOUT APIDToolkit

marcanthonyphoto

I was wondering if anyone knows how to set up a plugin, that I created for indesign, to run as a trial version that times out after 3 days then, using the indesign serial number of that particular user, convert it to a fully functioning version with a serial number of my own. I AM NOT LOOKING FOR THE APID TOOLKIT OPTION. I find it ridiculous that the people who download your demo have to pay to get a license from APID Toolkit just to run the script. There has got to be a way to do it easy and without having to install anything additional like the APID toolkit. I've installed and tried demos in indesign so I know there is a way.I just don't know how. Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: I need to set up my indesign plugin as a trial WITHOUT APIDToolkit
          Fred Goldman Level 3

You will have to be creative and it certainly won't be "crack proof". An idea might be to save the date to a text file and have the script check the date every time it runs. Something along those lines.

• 2. Re: I need to set up my indesign plugin as a trial WITHOUT APIDToolkit
            TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you say plugin do you mean script? If you're writing plugins, you

shouldn't have too much of a problem adding protection.

If you're writing scripts, why don't you just save your script as a

binart (jsxbin). Then in the script have a routine to check for serials

numbers or dates or whatever you like? You can write a document label to

store any protection info you need. Not 100% hermetic, but probably good

enough to protect against the casual copier.

Ariel

• 3. Re: I need to set up my indesign plugin as a trial WITHOUT APIDToolkit
              marcanthonyphoto Level 1

Hey Ariel. Thanks for the idea. Yes it is a JSX script so converting to JSXBIN is easy enough and protects the code. Can you help me with explaining the document label to store protection? I thought maybe having a code inside my script that disables certain features until it is registered. There would be a "register" button in the script so when it is pressed it would "read" the users indesign serial number, perform a calculation set within the script, and then generate a number which would need to be emailed to me. I then would use a keycode generator on my end to generate a serial number that would unlock that users script.

Is that possible?

• 4. Re: I need to set up my indesign plugin as a trial WITHOUT APIDToolkit
                TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To insert a document label I think the syntax is:

myDoc.insertLabel("key", "value");

And then to extract it:

myDoc.extractLabel("key");

(that's from memory. If it doesn't work have a look at the help because

I might have gotten something wrong.)

So you can write a "demo" value or something, until such a time as the

user makes a purchase, and then get the purchase function to write a

"licensed" value if the user types in a valid serial number. Check the

value while the script is running to see if the user gets all the script

functions.

Again, this at best will help in preventing casual copies being made.

Although what's to stop the serial number being uploaded along with the

script? To prevent that you'd have to get the script to "call home" --

make a web connection to your server to disable the same serial number

from being twice. (I believe that ESTK provides a simple way of making

an Internet connection. Never tried it.)

Ariel