3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 29, 2012 8:02 AM by peter minneapolis

Two Master Pages at The Same Time / Or Something Similar

Zoffix222 Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out the most efficient way to implement "tabs" on sides of 180-page document.

In an ideal world, I'd have one master page have the blue bar with tabs (refer to the pic). This master page would be applied to the entire document.

Then I'd create a bunch of "secondary" master pages with the colored tabs (in the pic, that would be the orange tab under word "Incontinence").

The colored tabs would be enabled one at a time, for different sections (say, incontinence would be turned on on pages 20-40, then Wound Care for pages 40-80, etc).

Is there a way to do that? To have some kind of "secondary" master page. Or better yet, conditional show/hide switch for colored tabs, based on page numbers?

Thanks.

Tabs.png

• 1. Re: Two Master Pages at The Same Time / Or Something Similar
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Hi,

yes, it is possible to create childs of master pages based on their parental master page. E.g. Create a master page A with the tab. Then create other masterpages based on A like AA, AB, AC, etc with one tab overrided with the changes.

Later you can apply these children to the pages of the document.

If something changes on A it is passed through to the pages (which are grandchildren of Master A).

PS: I hate the autocorrection in Safari which tries always to improve texts with nonsense words, that is why I had to edit it once.

Willi

• 2. Re: Two Master Pages at The Same Time / Or Something Similar
            Zoffix222 Level 1

Hey, thanks!

I didn't even think to look in the "New Master" options.. It worked perfectly

• 3. Re: Two Master Pages at The Same Time / Or Something Similar
              peter minneapolis Level 4

Zoffix222 wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out the most efficient way to implement "tabs" on sides of 180-page document.

In an ideal world, I'd have one master page have the blue bar with tabs (refer to the pic). This master page would be applied to the entire document.

Then I'd create a bunch of "secondary" master pages with the colored tabs (in the pic, that would be the orange tab under word "Incontinence").

The colored tabs would be enabled one at a time, for different sections (say, incontinence would be turned on on pages 20-40, then Wound Care for pages 40-80, etc).

Is there a way to do that? To have some kind of "secondary" master page. Or better yet, conditional show/hide switch for colored tabs, based on page numbers?

Thanks.

Tabs.png

It's possible to have a self-maintaining tab set.

ON MASTER PAGE:

* Create a text frame that overlies the tab bar (use separate layers for easier manipulation.) Create a paragraph style "ColorBlock" that you'll "tune" later.

* Create a paragraph style, "RunHeadSource" for running-header source text.

* Create a running header text variable "TabSpacer" and insert it in the text frame over the background tab bar.

* Create a rectangle the size and shape of the highlight color block; color it as desired, apply transparency, save as an object style, then insert it as an anchored/inline object in the ColorBlock paragraph. The block overlies the first tab.

ON BODY PAGES

* Create text that uses the RunHeadSource paragraph style; it can be in main text or in margin, etc. If you want it in its own text frame, you can create the text frame on the master page, for convenience, then override it to the body page that starts a new header source.

* The width of text in the RunHeadSource paragraph displaces the inline text TabSpacer, so for each location that needs a different tab, create header text of appropriate length.

* To hide the TabSpacer source text, you can use non-breaking spaces, or text color None.

RESULT:

In the first section, no text in the RunHeadSource paragraph style, so the inline colored object starts at the start of the tab bar. In subsequent sections, each variable source text displaces the colored object to the next tab.

It's a little fussy work to create, but it repays the investment because it's self-maintaining.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

1 person found this helpful