6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2012 8:14 AM by the_wine_snob

Poor photo quality when importing slide show into Elements 10

jeapgrl1 Level 1

Hello,

I'm using Elements and Photoshop Elements 10 on Vista.

What I'm trying to do is import a slide show I made in Photoshop in to a movie I'm making so that the slide show appears as a menu item and I don't have to include a separate disk for the pictures. I've sucessfully imported it, added the menu marker and the disc works, but the photo quality is really crappy. When I play the slide show on its own, the pictures are fine. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

Mary

• 1. Re: Poor photo quality when importing slide show into Elements 10
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

First, as we always recommend on this site, ensure that your photos are no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size.

Then, once the slideshow is ported to Premiere Elements, be sure to render your timeline (press Enter) so that the red lines above any clips on the timeline turn green. Then you will be seeing a full-quality preview of the final slideshow.

Finally, remember that once you add the photos to a Premiere Elements project, they will be video resolution, which is essentially 640x480. It's impossible to create a video slideshow with all the detail of your original photos.

If you're trying to create a slideshow that you can play on your computer (rather than a DVD), you can do so with a program called Pro Show Gold. This program will maintain most of the pictures' details and quality -- but you won't be able to play it on your DVD player.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Poor photo quality when importing slide show into Elements 10
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Mary,

Welcome to the forum.

What are the pixel x pixel dimensions of the stills? As Steve points out, Scaling the Still Images, prior to sending to PrE, will improve the quality, and will also reduce the processing overhead on the computer. This ARTICLE will tell you how to do the Scaling, in batch, in Photoshop Elements (and Photoshop).

Note: DVD-Video is limited to essentially 720 x 480/576 pixels. That is 1/4 of the resolution of HD BD (Blu-ray Disc), and is many times less than the average camera size Still Image of about 4000 x 3000. That is the nature of DVD-Video.

Now, when properly Scaled in PSE/PS, to the Frame Size of DVD-Video, the quality will be pretty good, when displayed on a CRT TV, but will start to decrease, as one displays onto an HD TV. However, newer DVD players and most BD players have dedicated chips for up-rezzing DVD-Video to near HD quality, and work amazingly well.

Note: if your plan is to provide Still Images, that one can print out, at any size above about 4 x 6 inches, you WILL want to have a DVD-Data disc, with the Still Images in a higher resolution, with a higher DPI, or PPI. Note also: DPI and PPI are meaningless for Video, and the Still Images in Video are essentially 72 PPI. You will want those to be ~ 200 PPI, for use with a desktop printer, and about 300 DPI, if one is going to a commercial printer, for an ink on paper brochure. Extracting the Still Images from a DVD-Video, and printing on a desktop printer, will look VERY bad.

For background, PPI (Pixels Per Inch) is for display on a computer screen, either directly, or via a Web page, and while very similar to DPI (Dots Per Inch), there are some differences, and DPI gives resolution for printing. One migh see DPI expressed as LPI (Lines Per Inch), referring to the screening used in commercial printing.

Preparing Still Images for Video, is a limiting factor, just like preparing Still Images for display on a Web site. Compromises must be made, but if everything is considered, and followed, the results can be pretty good - but will ALWAYS fall behind direct display on a high-rez computer screen, or commercially printed (ink on paper) methods. It is an unfortunate fact of life.

For ultimate display, I agree with Steve on making the delivery something other than DVD-Video, such as one of the ProShow products to an AV file, delivered on a DVD-Data disc, or a BD-Data disc.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Poor photo quality when importing slide show into Elements 10
              jeapgrl1 Level 1

Thanks! I'll sit down and really go over this when I don't have a 2 year-old tugging at me. I did notice that my pictures were huge, so I resized them to 800x600 so with that and your help, hopefully I'll get this settled. The people I'll be sending the video to won't be trying to print them, so that's a plus. Thanks again!

• 4. Re: Poor photo quality when importing slide show into Elements 10
                the_wine_snob Level 9

With Still Images, larger than the Video's Frame Size, Scaling will be done at some point. Photoshop and Photoshop Elements have better Scaling algorithms, than does Premiere Elements. Their Scaling will be as good, as it gets, and better than letting PrE do that operation.

Still, one does have Video, and SD Video with a DVD-Video, to consider. It WILL be much lower resolution, than the original camera files.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Poor photo quality when importing slide show into Elements 10
                  bp174 Level 1

Thank you very much for this informative discussion!  Thanks especially to Bill and Steve for their contributions.  This is exactly the question I came to the forum to solve this morning. 

I understand the replies, and I will try scaling my photos down before sending them to Premiere and creating a slide show video from them.  However, I still have one overall comment/question, and I'd appreciate your feedback:

I'm sure we've all seen stunning (or at least, excellent) images come from standard DVDs (not Blu Ray), on home TV screens.  Lots of detail, good color, etc.  I'm thinking of DVDs that have won awards for best picture quality over the years.  I've taken some great shots with my 18-megapixel dSLR camera, and I want as much of that vibrancy and detail as possible to come through when I create a slide show and burn it to DVD.  I'm focusing on DVD because several of the people with whom I want to share these slide shows are older, and it's the easiest distribution medium to use for them.  What I'm aiming for is picture quality as good as commercially mastered DVDs they can buy in the store, and I have great source material to work with.

Using a combination of Adobe products (PSE/PE, Photoshop, Premiere, Lightroom, etc.) and following the instructions in Bill's first post, is this a reasonable expectation?  Are there any other techniquest I can use to increase the quality of the DVD slide shows I'd like to create?

Thanks again for all the helpful input,

Bob

• 6. Re: Poor photo quality when importing slide show into Elements 10
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

They work on several levels:

1. A subscriber comes with a problem/question, and then, hopefully, someone will have an answer
                    2. A subscriber comes with a problem/question in mind, and then finds other threads, very similar, and hopefully gets the answer
                    3. A subscriber comes to read, to pick up ideas, etc.

In your case, it appears that # 2 worked, just as it should.

As for your question, PrE can produce SlideShows for display from DVD-Video, as good as it gets. Where commercial DVD-Videos enter a different realm, is with Video footage, with motion. There, Hollywood uses special Transcoding software, that allows for many, many more passes to identify the areas of motion, to Transcode at just the right Bit-Rate, for best results. PrE does that with but two passes, unlike the US $ 500,000 programs, staffed by highly-trained experts, who do nothing but Transcoding, all day long. PrE is limited in that respect, but with SlideShows, it will be able to apply the highest Bit-Rate (the DVD-specs. are strict here, so, though higher Bit-Rate = higher quality, DVD-Video can ONLY go so far.) Also, Hollywood uses DVD-9's (DL) so that more Duration can be authored to disc, at the highest-allowed Bit-Rate, for each segment of the Video. With a SlideShow, the Bit-Rate will be as high as the DVD-specs. allow, and per the Duration of the SlideShow vs the capacity of the disc.

Now, there are some other considerations, such as the limited Color Gamut (and Gamma) of DVD-Video vs display on a calibrated computer monitor, or a calibrated Broadcast monitor. One needs to study that limited and different Color Gamut, and perhaps adjust the colors first, in Photoshop. PrE is not designed for Broadcast output, so lacks many of the Tools, that PrPro has. Also, very few PrE users have a calibrated Broadcast monitor hooked up for Color Grading. Last, even if one has produced the ultimate output, with full understanding of the Color Gamut, and used a perfectly calibrated Broadcast monitor, there is no telling what the calibration of the client's monitor (computer, or TV) will be. What is perfect on a calibrated Broadcast monitor might look great on the client's setup, or perhaps not. A Broadcast Engineer can only adjust to standards, and hope for the best, when the disc hits the public. Same for Audio. Who knows what "Aunt Marge" has to play back the DVD-Video?

For ultimate results, I would create a Timeline with a few Still Images, but with each adjusted in slightly different ways in Photoshop. Add a Title, like a Lower-Third, with the Color and Gamma settings over each version, maybe 5 variations, that are slightly different. PS allows one to adjust Colors and Gamma in many ways, so explore. Then, author that Timeline to DVD-Video, using high-quality media, and test on their DVD player/TV setup. See which version looks best, and note the specifics from that Title. Use that to process the actual Still Images for the DVD SlideShow.

Also remember, if one has set things up ideally, they will have calibrated their system and Photoshop. As Photoshop is a Color Managed Workspace, things will be, as good as it gets. DVD-Video, and TV's are NOT Color Managed Workspaces, and most consumer TV's are out of general calibration, having just the generic setting from the factory. Nothing can be done about that.

As mentioned above, if the playback is for a computer (not a DVD player and TV), then better Color and Gamma might be achieved by doing an AV file, and then burning that to a DVD-Data disc, for delivery. However, one still has the variables of the client's computer, its monitor and even the software player used. All play a big role in how that AV file will play for them.

Good luck, and I wish there was an "iron-clad" answer, as to how to achieve the ultimate results, but there are so very many variables involved.

Hunt