9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2012 11:38 AM by DGM03

How to save down an .idml file to open as .idd in CS3?

DGM03

I'm using a G5 (PPC), OS 10.5.8 and CS3 (v 5.0.4) an recently received client files that were created in InDesign 5 and saved as .idml. What are the steps necessary to save them down to InDesign CS3 version, so I can open them and modify? The other party does not have CS4 or 3 available anymore.

PS. We tried upgrading just InDesign to 5.5, but that ended up with 3 days worth of lost upgrades, updates, research and $150 worth of software we can't use and we are still at point zero.

Quick response is of the essence since we have a client waiting on their proofs.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: How to save down an .idml file to open as .idd in CS3?
          Gautham K Level 4

Moving this post to the Adobe InDesign forum.

• 2. Re: How to save down an .idml file to open as .idd in CS3?
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You have to open it in CS4 and export it as INX. Open the INX in CS3.

Unless this is a very simple document, it's likely to kind of messed up especially text flow. Get a PDF to verify what it should look like.

And no, there is no other way to do this.

Bob

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How to save down an .idml file to open as .idd in CS3?
              DGM03 Level 1

Bob, thank you for the response. You confirmed my worry. Everywhere I read, it said I need to have an access to CS4 in order to get the files into CS3. Who knew this would be such a headache?

• 4. Re: How to save down an .idml file to open as .idd in CS3?
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

How many files are you talking about?

• 5. Re: How to save down an .idml file to open as .idd in CS3?
                  DGM03 Level 1

2. Its an annual report cover and guts

• 6. Re: How to save down an .idml file to open as .idd in CS3?
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'll convert them for you. I'm sending you a Private Message with instructions.

• 7. Re: How to save down an .idml file to open as .idd in CS3?
                      Bo LeBeau Level 4

As you've no doubt by now realized, InDesign 5/5.5 only runs on a Mac Intel machine. CS4 was the last version to also run on a G5 PPC.

Whether you use InDesign, QuarkXpress, PageMaker, the inability to move files backward more than 1 version has always been an issue for the last 25 years.

Its always been this way and if isn't going to change.

If you want to be able to accept & work on newer files from clients it is necessary to upgrade on a regular basis.

I know your boss won't be happy about buying a new Mac and also upgrading regularly but its the price of doing business.

Buying an upgrade for $150 or so every 18 months is a very small price to pay for the ability to keep your clients happy.

The longer you go between upgrades the harder, or in this case the impossibility of getting newer files into an old version like CS3

(Peter is a nice guy for helping you out this one time, but this is NOT a viable solution)

Clients will go elsewhere if you tell them they have to convert their file not once but twice just for you to be able to receive & work on them.

A hypothetical - If your boss was paying a company to provide a service for him and they starting making him jump through hoops just to accept his work, how long do you think your boss would put up with the hassle before he threw up his arms and said "Forget it! I'm taking my business someplace else!"

This is the same situation that you are presenting to your clients.

Maybe this can convince him to upgrade.

You could get a Mac Mini or iMac and run Creative Suite without issues. You might not want to edit video on a Mini, but it is more that up to the task of running InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, etc.

The old G5 PPC is getting long in the tooth. A new Mac Mini should also be able to work for your needs for years. Trust me on this,we've all been there!

Many people that had a tower G4 or G5 in the past realize that a new MacPro is out of the price range for most people.

They get an iMac or a Mini and don't look back.

The basic Mini has an Intel Dual Core i5 processor starts at $599,

You already have the CS 5.5 upgrade so you just need a new computer.

Good Luck!!!

• 8. Re: How to save down an .idml file to open as .idd in CS3?
                        BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The other route is Creative Cloud. $50/month gets you the entire Master Collection, the touch apps, a few other tidbits and automatic upgrades.

It’s a no brainer for most people.

Bob

• 9. Re: How to save down an .idml file to open as .idd in CS3?
                          DGM03 Level 1

Dear Bo. Unfortunately, nothing you wrote is new to us We are a VEEERY small business and over the last year we lost our biggest client due to a merge. We are quiet aware of the upgrade necessity, however we've been doing fine for years. This is a unique situation, because files are from a previous vendor who only recently (about a month ago) upgraded their software. Until now, we haven't had ANY problems. This is truly a first. However, even though I am 100% behind every word you said, upgrading hardware is just not an option at this time.

In a desperate attempt to get this solved I reached out to the last, in my world, resort and had Kinko's convert the files for me. Genius

Thank you Bo, Bob and Peter for your input and offer to help. I truly appreciate it.

PS. Thanks for the Creative Cloud info. That certainly skipped my radar and I will gladly look into it.