5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 29, 2012 2:52 PM by Peter Spier

Placing Text, Multiple RTF Files

RIP FCP Level 1

I'm new to InDesign, so I apologize for asking such a basic question.

I've gone through Linda.com tutorials and read some instructional books, so I'm somewhat familiar with what I'm trying to do.

I have several *.rtf files that I want to import, or Place into a document.

When I select multiple files, I am able to place one at a time. But each one always places into a new text frame.

I'd like to be able to Place  all of them in once click into one continuous text frame? One that will expand across pages as needed?

Is that possible?

• 1. Re: Placing Text, Multiple RTF Files
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In your shoes, I'd concatenate my RTFs into a single file, and place that. When placing, I'd hold down the Shift key - that would autoflow the whole RTF doc.

I tried it with multiple RTFs in the place gun, and when holding down Shift it'll still autoflow, but it won't take you straight to the end of RTF no. 1 when you're ready to place RTF no. 2, and it'll place no. 2 in a separate text frame.

• 2. Re: Placing Text, Multiple RTF Files
            RIP FCP Level 1

Joel Cherney wrote:

I tried it with multiple RTFs in the place gun, and when holding down Shift it'll still autoflow, but it won't take you straight to the end of RTF no. 1 when you're ready to place RTF no. 2, and it'll place no. 2 in a separate text frame.

That's  what I have been doing, Shift+Click. But I have to load each RTF file into a new frame.

Joel Cherney wrote:

In your shoes, I'd concatenate my RTFs into a single file, and place that. When placing, I'd hold down the Shift key - that would autoflow the whole RTF doc.

Is there an easy or automated way to concatenate the files?

• 3. Re: Placing Text, Multiple RTF Files
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Another option is to place the first file, hit the enter key to start a new paragraph and leave the cursor active, then place the second file (make sure you do NOT replace current content) and repeat for the third.

Or just palce the three normally, then thread the last frame of story 1 to the first frame of story 2 manually, then do the same for story 3. I think either of those is less work than concatenation.

• 4. Re: Placing Text, Multiple RTF Files
                Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yeah, I'm hoping to find a VBA I wrote at some point in the last few years that strings together any number of Word files in order. However, I can't find it anywhere, and the bookmark I saved to the MSDN article seems to be dead. I'm not saying your method isn't functional, Peter, and it's what I do almost all of the time. But what if you have 125 RTFs per INDD and 10 INDDs? In that case, you'd really want a VBA to string 'em together - or a way to load your place gun with 125 RTFs and & the place gun to behave in a way that RIF was hoping for.

Hey Rif, are you in fact a Windows user with access to MS Word? My VBA would probably be useless to you if you're not. (Unless I'm totally wrong and there is robust VBA support on Word for Mac.)

• 5. Re: Placing Text, Multiple RTF Files
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Well, OK, if you're going to go all ExtremeID on me and start messing with large numbers of files, then yeah, scripting is the way to go.