5 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2012 7:47 PM by trajoj

Entire project broken somehow! AE, ME and PP

Pieterjan - KL

Hello everyone

I've come here as a last resort to my project being broken (yet again!)

Symptoms include:

Premiere Pro:

all media is pending, on start-up it's loading each file very, very slow (7MB/s maximum in Disk Monitor) and after an hour or two when everything is supposedly loaded by PP, it still shows Media Pending on the monitor.

After Effects:

The AE project which includes the Dynamically Linked sequence from PP crashes on start-up. Nothing I can even do about it in AE.

ME:

I can open the AE project but it shows no compositions available for rendering. Just a blank column.

What I have tried so far:

- Cleaned the media cache

- Manually deleted the media cache

- Defragmented the HD

- Checked SMART and other self tests on the hard drive. The drive is in perfect shape.

- Added exception rules for all *.exe's I could possibly think of that are related. (dynamiclinkmanager, QTsomethingserver, PProheadless, AE.exe, PP.exe, etc)

I will try updating everything to the latest version now but I don't believe this will work as I have had this problem before with a fully updated CS.

The last time I had this problem (about a week ago), I managed to fix it by re-installing the entire CS5.5 Master Collection. I do not want to do this again as I'm using a (volume?) license from school which requires me to physically bring my computer in and let them enter the serial. (Is this even normal that I do not receive the license I've paid for?)

I am really lost right now!

Regards

• 1. Re: Entire project broken somehow! AE, ME and PP
          Harm Millaard Level 7

- Defragmented the HD

- Checked SMART and other self tests on the hard drive. The drive is in perfect shape.

Those terms sound suspiciously like singular, instead of plural. You need at least three different 7200 RPM SATA disks or faster for a practical editing station.

Those transfer rates you mention seem quite OK for a single 5400 disk on a lousy CPU with very limited memory, especially if the system is not tuned, contains a lot of supplier installed crap, runs any anti-something software. Unfortunately you left out all the details to say whether you are lucky with that kind of transfer times or not.

• 2. Re: Entire project broken somehow! AE, ME and PP
            Pieterjan - KL Level 1

I appreciate the reply Harm but unfortunately it's not helping me much. As I mentioned, I'm still in school and I can not really afford a dedicated editing station, especially when I'm not headed in this direction of media development Of course you made a fair point and I apologize for forgetting the basics of a post like this.

I'm running a Windows7 64-  i7 2500K overclocked to 4.5GHz with 8GB of DDR3. My main disk is a Vertex2 SSD and my storage HD (Media Cache, applications) is a Samsung 2TB 7.2K RPM SATA2 disk Perhaps you are mixing up Mb and MB because 7MB is not OK at all for a hard drive like this. It should be getting atleast 100MB in read (140MB average as confirmed on other tests.)

My other projects are working fine, so the hardware is excluded from the source of the problem.

I would like to add that I have just updated my CS5.5 to its latest versions, renamed my source files folder and the problem persists. Extremely slow reading speeds of footage after I have re-located the file in the popup window that came up after it couldn't find the clip in the original location. I believe this is what causing AE to crash: it can't read the linked sequence fast enough and AE times out.

I apologize for my bad writing skills, English is not my main tongue

Regards

Message was edited by: Pieterjan - KL I forgot to mention that both times this happened, this was after I nearly finished my project and I was rendering the project in Media Encoder. I don't risk to experiment anymore but I believe this happened when I canceled a render in ME. Perhaps I have found a bug? In the meanwhile, it has suddenly decided to work again. So I'm finishing and rendering the project so I will not have to touch it ever again.

• 3. Re: Entire project broken somehow! AE, ME and PP
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Sorry, that disk is an 'Eco green' model and not suitable for editing. If you have any form of power saving, hibernation, indexing, compression, anti-something, screen saving and similar stuff running, this is to be expected. If you have your pagefile on the Vertex2 and it is dynamically managed, your problems will only increase.

• 4. Re: Entire project broken somehow! AE, ME and PP
                Pieterjan - KL Level 1

My investigation has proven otherwise. I agree there are better hard drives (performance wise) but this one will suffice for what I'm doing.

• 5. Re: Entire project broken somehow! AE, ME and PP
                  trajoj

Asside from the banter about hard drive speed, did you ever find a solution to the issue? I'm having the same error and can't get it figured out!

premiere-pro-media-pending.jpg